Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Sunroof Rattle

My IS 200 has developed an annoying rattle at low speeds (dissappears at high speed - or the engine/tyre noise drowns it). It appears to be originating from the rear part of the sunroof and goes away when the sunroof is open. its also very loud when the sliding part is pushed back. I have booked it into the local Lexus garage for a look in, but the manager mentioned that the roof lining will have to come off and may take up to 3 days to fix.

Done anyone have any experience of this noise and its solution.

• 4 weeks later...

Update----

Lexus Bromley have identified the noise as something to do with a cartridge in the sunroof mechanism and have ordered a new one. I have to take the car back in 2 weeks to sort it out.

There is probably a fix to this problem after all.

• 5 weeks later...

Update on the problem -

Took the car in last week. They replaced the cartridge and returned the car valeted. Noise gone.

5 miles later it reappeared and now its noisier. Stopped the car to check it out carefully and turns out that the blind doesnt open all the way now. Opens about 75% without problem and then needs a nudge to get it all the way through. Its probably snagging on something now. after about 10 openings and closings, the fabric lining on it is coming off. The sunroof also opens 75% way on hitting the slide button and stops. Needs another push of the button to open it completely. In my memory thats not how its worked before.

In effect, it looks like the garage guys didnt test the mechanisn completely. As a result I am left with a torn blind cover, a sunroof that doesnt open correctly, and a louder rattle.

I have booked the car in again early next month. I will insist on a blind replacement.

This is simply not the quality you expect from a Lexus.

Any suggestions?

This is simply not the quality you expect from a Lexus.

Any suggestions?

buy a lexus without a sunroof as you have climate control...

or...

Buy any french car and run it for a year then come back to lexus and be blummin grateful

or...

accept that their are always gonna be the odd problem but overall they are a winning brand

My sunroof has creaked since new (now done 45k).

Lexus Leeds have looked at it 3 times and not made the slightest difference, except last time they took the roof lining out and have not refitted the A-post trim properly, so that rattles as well now :angry:

The REALLY annoying thing about this is that I know what the problem is and have told them (repeatedly) but they take no notice.

I'm going to give them once last chance before I take my business elsewhere.

There are two brackets that hold the surnroof track into the roof, these sometimes vibrate, your Lexus centre will need to remove the roof lining and pack out the brackets.

Is this problem and its real solution common knowledge among the dealer community? Miught be worth spreading this knowledge and putting all sufferers out fo their misery.

No, I only know of half a dozen cars where people have mentioned sunroof rattles.

No, I only know of half a dozen cars where people have mentioned sunroof rattles.

Make that 7 then Chris, bit of a rattle normally, dreadful when the body shell is hot (sunny days). Lexus Woodford are taking it in next week.

• 6 months later...

Has anybody found a soloution to this problem? I Have a 2001 is sport..been great up until about six months ago...could a hear a rattle/knock coming from the sunroof. Took it to lexus cambridge....fixed it..couldnt tell me what it was...opened the sunroof twice..back again!! It is now going in again for the 4th time!!! Ive told them im not happy about this & they have promised to sort it. Even though they spent a whole day on the 3rd visit & packed the sunroof out with anti rattle foam & to my dismay..didnt reconnect the sunroof switch!!! When they did reconnect it...3 sunroof opens later....knock knock knock!!!

Gutted :(

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links