Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Front Fog Lights

Hello all, I am a little confused and am hoping you good people may be able to help. I bought a 51 plate IS200 about a month ago. I put it in for a service/timing belt change last week and was informed that one of the front fogs don't work as there is water in the lens. I took it back to the garage today as they obviously knew it (or should have done) and was told that lights doesn't come under the warranty. In other words they're not interested. They told me that I need to buy a new unit as you can't just open it and change the bulb) and told me they found one on eBay for £89. They said it's easy to fix myself. I have looked in the handbook and it says to undo 2 screws and take the unit out then just replace the bulb and put the unit back in. So the book says the bulb can be changed but the garage said it can't. I need to know what I need to do and is it easy as I am a complete novice with car mechanics etc. Any info greatly received!!

Yes it is that simple, 2 10mm bolts hold them in place.

Undo them pull the unit out disconnect change bulb done. But you might have more problems in the future unless you seal the unit back up and stop the water getting in.

I have retro fitted some other spolights inside mine as they are so expensive

You'll need to check it out to know for sure but it is most likely that you do need a whole new replacement unit. I've got the same problem myself at the mo and need to change my driver's fog light.

There is a common fault with the IS that the light housing corrodes resulting in a useless light and you also can't get the bulb out. The light was modified with later cars with a cap on the back to waterproof them.

You can try replacing the bulb, but I would be confident to say that you do probably need a new unit.

You'll need to check it out to know for sure but it is most likely that you do need a whole new replacement unit. I've got the same problem myself at the mo and need to change my driver's fog light.

There is a common fault with the IS that the light housing corrodes resulting in a useless light and you also can't get the bulb out. The light was modified with later cars with a cap on the back to waterproof them.

You can try replacing the bulb, but I would be confident to say that you do probably need a new unit.

Yes I can just about see inside and it looks a little brownish around the bulb unlike the other one so my guess would be that the unit is finished. A new one it is then.... It's the drivers one with mine as well.

Undo them pull the unit out disconnect change bulb done. But you might have more problems in the future unless you seal the unit back up and stop the water getting in.

If I get a new unit and put it in then would water still get in or is just the seals on the old unit that are the problem?

Also how do you undo the bolts? Do you have to go in from the wheel arch or can you do it from the front?

If I get a new unit and put it in then would water still get in or is just the seals on the old unit that are the problem?

Yeah there's still a risk of the new one corroding which is a pain. If you go for the newer units the connectors are different so you'll have to do a bit of rewiring to put the old connectors on the new unit.

Also how do you undo the bolts? Do you have to go in from the wheel arch or can you do it from the front?

I think the bolts are on the front, but you need to go in through the arch to push the light out - if you're lucky you might be able to just pull it out from the front.

dunno if i'm making a mountain out of a mole hill but warranty or not, if bought from a garage it should be road legal, if it has fogs they should be working, and the garage should make sure they are before sale

dunno if i'm making a mountain out of a mole hill but warranty or not, if bought from a garage it should be road legal, if it has fogs they should be working, and the garage should make sure they are before sale

yes that's what I would have thought but they are adament that because it isn't an MOT failure point then they sold it in roadworthy condition.

I know a car isn't required to have front fogs but I thought if it had them they had to be working for MOT, I could be wrong tho

No they don't need to work, mine just went through MOT fine with only one working front fog.

Just spoke to Lexus. They will fit another fog light for £260 all in. Roughly £190 + vat for part and £30 + vat for labour

Yeah they're really expensive, I wasn't prepared to pay that for something I never use so plan to find a used one somewhere and swap them over myself when I have time :)

Have you looked on eBay? There are quite a few fogs on there ranging from £60 up to £150.

I'd like to but I'd still need someone to fit it as I'm no good with cars so I'd probably end up breaking something.

Have you looked on eBay? There are quite a few fogs on there ranging from £60 up to £150.

I'd like to but I'd still need someone to fit it as I'm no good with cars so I'd probably end up breaking something.

You could always get the lamp off eBay and then get Lexus to fit it for just the labour charge.

You could always get the lamp off ebay and then get Lexus to fit it for just the labour charge.

Can't see a Lexus dealer willing to fit items that they are not supplying, especially 2nd hand items off eBay...I could be wrong...

I'm sure the owners manual shows how to take the fog out to change the bulb (the GS owners manual does anyway). It really is very easy and not worth paying someone 30 dabs plus VAT to do.

You could always get the lamp off ebay and then get Lexus to fit it for just the labour charge.

Can't see a Lexus dealer willing to fit items that they are not supplying, especially 2nd hand items off eBay...I could be wrong...

Mine wouldn't care, but you're right, not all are going to take the same view.

I have taken all your advice and I'll try and do it myself. I have a few little questions from you more experienced people in order to help me. Firstly I tried a 11mm spanner on the 2 bolts and it was too big. Anyone know what size I will need? Also when the bolts have been done how do you get the unit out? Do you push it through from the back and it pops out the front? Thanks in advance

I have taken all your advice and I'll try and do it myself. I have a few little questions from you more experienced people in order to help me. Firstly I tried a 11mm spanner on the 2 bolts and it was too big. Anyone know what size I will need? Also when the bolts have been done how do you get the unit out? Do you push it through from the back and it pops out the front? Thanks in advance

did you not try any others or did you just give up on the first spanner you try'd???

the bolts are 10mm remove these then the light comes out forward with a pull.

No my set of spanners are 11mm to 19mm so when I tried the 11mm and found it was too big I guessed I needed a smaller one. So I need to get a 10mm one then. Thanks for the help

you'll find a 10mm spanner in the cars tool kit.

You may find the bulb holder corroded and not be able to get it out without breaking it. Thats what happened to mines. I just fitted the new bulb as best as i could, then just wrapped some tape round it to hold it in.

Good Luck.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links