Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I have been in the Lexus Owners Club since Oct 2009 as although I haven't owned one yet I am certainly interested. I would like to buy one as a 'second' car, and I have set myself a budget of £2500.

I currently own a Suburu Legacy Estate B4 GT Turbo (Grey Import) producing 320bhp. This car satisfies my everyday needs and being 4 wheel drive is my bad weather car. This is my third Japanese car now and for me the reliability level of all Japanese cars is such that I wouldn't consider a European/American car now.

I have always fancied the LS range, but didn't want it as my main car, although even as it it would be at the opposite end of the scale compared to the Scooby (noise/quality/ride) it probably would turn out to be during the better part of the year.

I have beeen looking at the ads in Autotrader/Ebay and I think having read the correspondance in the Forum I think that the the years which could be considered as less problems would be 1996-99. There is one 96 model currently in Autotrader with about 55000 miles on the clock, which does seem suspiciously low, for £2495, and another 98 model with 120,000 miles (same price)- this one looks as new and the shape for me is more modern. I think I remember reading that the higher mileage cars might be on balance a better option for the obvious reason and in any case if the low mileage were true, this car needs to be 'used'.

Would appreciate any advice. Thanks.

My 1996 LS has 225,000 miles on the clock and yesterday it sailed through the MOT with no advisories. It has been reliable and only gets an annual service by an independant mechanic, but he has been Lexus trained.

The only trouble I have had have both been winter related-a broken front suspension spring (OEM part £150 fitted) and rotten brake pipes (£100 fitted). I did have trouble with the handbrake seizing last year, but sorted with liberal applications of WD40. I had been looking at getting a newer, lower mileage model but nothing drives or looks to be in as good a condition as mine.

cruises silently at anything between 60 and 110 mph, returns upto 32 mpg (but then the fuel consumption isn't why I purchased the car) but it's calming drive make my average cruise speed around 65mph-it chills me out driving this car.

If I covered up the milometer, I'd defy anyone to guess at it's mileage from the condition of the interior and exterior, and how it drives. I've owned Audi's, BMW's, Sabb's, Merc's and VW's and this is the best build car I have ever owned (only my Merc 190 came remotely close).

Hi and welcome,

The most important thing to have with any Lexus is a full service history,they are extremely reliable IF looked after properly,another thing to look for is how many previous owners it has had if there have been a lot of changes it could indicate owners getting rid rather than spending money getting it sorted.

Find out how long the present owner has had the car and ask why they are selling it.

Remember parts are not cheap for these cars ( but reasonable I think personally even from dealers) and when a car reaches its 3rd or 4th owner the residual value means they aren't worth spending a lot on a say a major suspension rebuild or they have been fitted with pattern parts.

Generally make sure the cam belt has been done I think it is every 60,000 miles on the older model and 90,000 on the later ones and have a good test drive listening for suspension knocks.

Check carefully for any repaired accident damage these cars are precision built and any excessive panel gaps should not be there.

There are plenty out there so you can afford to be picky if there is any doubt walk away.

If you post the links for those that you are looking into we will always give you feedback.

Good luck with your search and keep us updated

My LS is a second car - only for long journeys (I have a smart for running around locally). When I was looking for one last year I was advised to buy the newest example I could afford because even with a quality car like the Lexus, things wear out with age. But even the youngest ones are now more than ten years old, and knowing how much to spend on an LS is difficult. I've seen cars like mine (same age, similar mileage) on Autotrader/EBay for anything between £1500 and £5000!

Higher mileage with lots of maintenance is probably better than lower mileage with no history - as with any other car. Mine's done 141,000 but feels like 100,000 less than that. My mechanic said I could run it for ten years if it's maintained properly...

Anyway, while I was looking at cars last year I put together a sort of checklist which I'm going to e-mail to you (through the messaging system on here). Maybe it will help?

My LS is a second car - only for long journeys (I have a smart for running around locally). When I was looking for one last year I was advised to buy the newest example I could afford because even with a quality car like the Lexus, things wear out with age. But even the youngest ones are now more than ten years old, and knowing how much to spend on an LS is difficult. I've seen cars like mine (same age, similar mileage) on Autotrader/EBay for anything between £1500 and £5000!

Higher mileage with lots of maintenance is probably better than lower mileage with no history - as with any other car. Mine's done 141,000 but feels like 100,000 less than that. My mechanic said I could run it for ten years if it's maintained properly...

Anyway, while I was looking at cars last year I put together a sort of checklist which I'm going to e-mail to you (through the messaging system on here). Maybe it will help?

Thanks Scribe. I look forward to that.

Regards,

Banjo

I've got a '98 MKIV LS400 for sale (on here).

Has 214k on clock. Lexus serviced until 180k ish (stamped in book), then independent. 4 owners, in pretty good nick. Selling as I have bought a 4x4, but now thinking perhaps I'll keep the LS as I'm missing it :(

Thanks

Mike

I've got a '98 MKIV LS400 for sale (on here).

Has 214k on clock. Lexus serviced until 180k ish (stamped in book), then independent. 4 owners, in pretty good nick. Selling as I have bought a 4x4, but now thinking perhaps I'll keep the LS as I'm missing it :(

Thanks

Mike

Just run in then ..... :tomato: ... I couldn't imagine life without my LS400. :hehe:

Malc

Malc,

I think I have fallen victim to "don't know what you've got til it's gone"

It's sat outside my house and I'm missing it. When I start it, I sit in it and it even smells nice inside :(

Anyone want to buy a Ford Explorer :)

Mike

Malc,

I think I have fallen victim to "don't know what you've got til it's gone"

It's sat outside my house and I'm missing it. When I start it, I sit in it and it even smells nice inside :(

Anyone want to buy a Ford Explorer :)

Mike

Nope :hehe:

Just sold mine due to expanding family and lots of other toys (which wil be going soon as well) I will miss it dearly, theres nothing quite like it, especially in terms of reliability, 96 with 145k, shame on me......

I have weakened....

The Explorer is now on eBay, I am going to try and keep the Lexus, but need to sell whichever one goes first :)

I have re-insured the LS though and will be driving it until, hopefully, the Ford sells.

As my dad once said "Once you've driven a Lexus, you won't want to drive anything else" Damn him for being right about that :)

Thanks

I have weakened....

The Explorer is now on Ebay, I am going to try and keep the Lexus, but need to sell whichever one goes first :)

I have re-insured the LS though and will be driving it until, hopefully, the Ford sells.

As my dad once said "Once you've driven a Lexus, you won't want to drive anything else" Damn him for being right about that :)

Thanks

Don't forget, Mike - we're all here to support you through your time of weakness.

"My name is Mike, and I wanted to sell my Lexus."

(All) "Hello Mike..."

Scribe,

They always say that the road to recovery begins with realising that you have a problem.

Yes, my name is Mike and I have a problem, I wanted to sell my Lexus. However, I think with the aid of some strong drugs and the support of my family, I have managed to pull myself through and the Lexus is now insured again. I took my daughter to work in it this morning and realised what I had been missing.

Thanks to all for sticking with me through the traumatic time, but I think I'm cured now :)

Mike

Scribe,

They always say that the road to recovery begins with realising that you have a problem.

Yes, my name is Mike and I have a problem, I wanted to sell my Lexus. However, I think with the aid of some strong drugs and the support of my family, I have managed to pull myself through and the Lexus is now insured again. I took my daughter to work in it this morning and realised what I had been missing.

Thanks to all for sticking with me through the traumatic time, but I think I'm cured now :)

Mike

Well, apart from anything else, we were going to miss your posts on here! (Not that selling your Lexus means you couldn't still log on, but...) Anyway, who knows, maybe your temporary loss of mind is a warning to all of us. Maybe we will all, at some point, feel that we want to sell our LS. And at that terrible moment we'll think of you and remember your example.

At least my possible misfortune could serve to benefit others :)

It was a close one but welcome back :) :)

Andy

Thanks mate.

Christmas is out the way too, so I reckon we need to sort this south coast meet out soon, don't you?

Mike

At least my possible misfortune could serve to benefit others :)

It was a close one but welcome back :) :)

Andy

Thanks mate.

Christmas is out the way too, so I reckon we need to sort this south coast meet out soon, don't you?

Mike

Most definitely ;)

Andy

A '96 with 56K only??? are you sure.. is it the digital dash with the flashing syndrome? it could have been replaced.... mine was fixed and kept the mileage, but a replacement would be zero miles...

I believe the flashing dash was fixed after a certain model - you'd have to check.

I've got a '93, its done 220K (without a proper service in 3 years!!) and is running very well.

My dad had it before me and he bought it off the owner from new.... its NEVER broken down in its life..... 18years that is!!! Thats amazing... and says its one of the finest engines ever built - they use them for racing apparently

but the LS still has some faults....

The typical issues are:-

suspension (control arms front upper & lower), and eventually the rear ones - only the front lowers are less than £100 each (just)

exhaust EGR pipe (emissions)

Exhaust gaskets (£30 fitted)

Flickering dash (around £120 p+p)

Bonnet struts

P/s leaks (can cause alternator then Battery issues if not fixed) - less than £5 if d.i.y.

rusty loose heat shields under the car (these rattle and is embarrasing at traffic lights)

Sticking brake calipers

brake pipes cracking (£30 d.i.y)

Erratic, jumpy engine when pulling away (usually blocked throttle body - 2hrs & £5 d.i.y.)

Faulty window switches

Faulty door locking

Tatty wheels

All i can think of for now

Most of the above are normal wear & tear issues that every car suffers.... I spent £1000 on the car and in the 6 yrs i've owned it i have prob spent another £2000 on all the above inc. fitting & tyres etc.....

not bad for owning a luxury motor..... i've not got around to the window/door switches yet, but are on this years list along with a new aerial.... but these are cosmetics and not mechanical

Fuel is becoming an issue, but it averages upto 30mpg, and with working a 4 day shift and another regular 100mile round trip - it only costs me £40 week fuel - minimum that is!!! - the tank is a large 75L and takes upto £100 with todays prices. If you do a lot of local driving it will cost you, but motorways & country lanes...well.. it just loves them.... 300miles on country lanes costs me around £65, a trip from M/cr to Sth London and back cost me around the same (that was when fuel was £1 per Ltr!! and i had qtr of a tank left) - thats cheaper than a transit van...

but it prob costs a fiver every time your missus wants you to go to the shops down the road...

These cars are extremely well built and the ride is amazing, the refined comfort is second only to Bentley & Rolls Royce (in my opinion!!), and it has enough power when its needed, i love the feel of it from the second you close the door and i get all defensive when i watch top gear ( i like the guy, but dont listen to Jeremy Clarkson - most of his choices are way out of the average mans budget) and besides, in his dream world, we'd show him up anyway by owning the LFA

Enjoy your LS if you get one, i recommend one to anybody who even looks at my car for more than a second, and if they ask me about it... i'm stood there in the street with a stranger for 20 mins going on about them.....

buy one.. but try to make sure its had the dash & control arms done - it then shouldn't cost you much afterwards....

Its desicion time for me... it will cost me money again the next few months.. brake discs & pads all round, tyres, lower susp arms, some corrosion doctoring underneath to maintian its life, some paint chip remedial work, window switches, aerial, wheels...etc ....

prob cost me another £1000, but do you know what.... im gonna do it, i cant swap it for another similar value car...what would i get in place of what i have now... nothing anywhere near the quality......

Enjoy

lol, i've just read all the previous posts about selling a Lexus...

I too have briefly thought of it but quickly quashed all memories with images of my mates vectra :blink:

I think i will get another Lexus next, but does this strange occurance still happen when you trade in the cherished LS for another newer, more modern and if anything like the stories in america not so well built models......

i know !!! .... i might just wait with my '93 'til i can afford the ISF, then eventually swap that for the LFA when its tax exempt maybe..... hmm :whistling:

lol, even going 'down' to the IS200 is a no-go at the minute.....

I don't know what im going to do :unsure:

Seeing as the most recent LS400 I could replace mine with would be only 2-3 years younger, and would cost a lot of money, it doesn't seem worth contemplating. I suspect a lot of us are in this position. Better to stick with what we've got and be ready to spend on maintenance. Reading about other members' problems with their LSs sometimes makes me worry, but I try to remember how much car I own and how little I paid for it. There's a certain satisfaction in owning a £50,000 car that someone else has lost all the value on. And for every post on here about blown fuses, idling problems etc. there's one about cars that are passing their MOTs without advisories at 200,000+ miles.

A 430 would be the obvious step up/forward, but although it's a fabulous car it's never had the appeal of the 400 to me. The cheapest 430s now can be had for 400 money, but part of the worry for me would be that there's a lot more to go wrong with them - or am I wrong?

Seeing as the most recent LS400 I could replace mine with would be only 2-3 years younger, and would cost a lot of money, it doesn't seem worth contemplating. I suspect a lot of us are in this position. Better to stick with what we've got and be ready to spend on maintenance. Reading about other members' problems with their LSs sometimes makes me worry, but I try to remember how much car I own and how little I paid for it. There's a certain satisfaction in owning a £50,000 car that someone else has lost all the value on. And for every post on here about blown fuses, idling problems etc. there's one about cars that are passing their MOTs without advisories at 200,000+ miles.

A 430 would be the obvious step up/forward, but although it's a fabulous car it's never had the appeal of the 400 to me. The cheapest 430s now can be had for 400 money, but part of the worry for me would be that there's a lot more to go wrong with them - or am I wrong?

Nope. You're right.

Maybe, just maybe I'll be keepimg my LS400 for another 20 years !!!! OMG what do you reckon ?

What on earth could one buy that is better than the existing.

Depreciation stopped years ago and maintenance is tiddly.

I do own another car too that's even older than my LS ..... a 1932 Triumph.

Perhaps I'm in a timewarp or summat.

Malc

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links