Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Car Security

All,

I understand the Lexus IS200 SE comes with a standard fitted Thatcham category one alarm and immobiliser.

With my wife being pregnant I will shortly need to bring the car (and leave it all day) outside my work place, and feel uneasy at the prospect of the vehicle being left in public view with 'just' the standard alarm / immobiliser.

Has anyone heard of security problems with the standard Lexus alarm / immobiliser? It's not a thieves best friend is it? 'Standard' alarms soon become unsafe because they are installed on every vehicle... and get cracked very quickly by thieves. Tell me that's not the case with the Lexus please!!

Cheers for anything... and of course any advertising for security products is more than welcome (if allowed by mods!).

If you're still uneasy, what about removing one of the fuses so that it's impossible to start the car? Bit of a hassle, but might give you that extra peace of mind.

My father lost the keys to his old car (Vauxhall Carlton)

called an professional auto locksmith.

Guy turned up in a van full of equipment.

Got a keyring with two keys on it - tried one -didn't work.

Tried the other - door opened.

Had to ask him - how long would it take you to get into my IS.

He said he could do it - but it would take him a good while, and it wouldn't be pretty.

I was happy with that.

I don't believe the IS200 comes with a Thatcham 1 approved alarm, although it is a good one. Don't go telling your insurance company it has got one if it hasn't.

It has got dead locks and internal sensores too .... so just be careful and don't leave anything on display inside.

I don't believe the IS200 comes with a Thatcham 1 approved alarm, although it is a good one. Don't go telling your insurance company it has got one if it hasn't.

it is CAT1 approved, so its all your really going to need and as far as i know, it has won some award (whatcar i think) for its security

parthiban ..... where does it say it's Thatcham approved? Very interested to see.

As some of you know, I've been fitting audio and alarms(cat 1) for over 18 years now.

The Lexus IS200 alarm/immobiliser IS a cat 1, and is listed as such, in my 2003 Thatcham evaluation catalogue.

I could fit any alarm to my car, virtually for nothing, but am quite happy with the protection the Lexus alarm gives.

Hope this gives you piece of mind.....

Gee Guy's............ THANKS :D

Steve, Your insurance company will already know it has a cat 1 on it. When they ask you for the make and model of the car, their computer tells them there's one fitted as standard.

Is it still the case that if Lexus (or alarm supplier) don't pay to renew their subs

for an alarm / immobiliser, Thatcham delete it from their 'approved' list ..

Then half the insurers won't touch you 'til you get a different one ?

When i used to do installs, Thatcham / VSIB was all a big con ...

About 100quid per pad of a dozen or so 'VSIB installed' forms :megaangry:

I'm sure someone got (or is getting) very rich from that bunch of racketeering :eerrrmm:

Is it still the case that if Lexus (or alarm supplier) don't pay to renew their subs

for an alarm / immobiliser, Thatcham delete it from their 'approved' list ..

Then half the insurers won't touch you 'til you get a different one ?

When i used to do installs, Thatcham / VSIB was all a big con ...

About 100quid per pad of a dozen or so 'VSIB installed' forms :megaangry:

I'm sure someone got (or is getting) very rich from that bunch of racketeering :eerrrmm:

Thatcham can't delete an alarm/immobiliser system if it's factory fitted. They can however delete a model of alarm if it's an aftermarket fit. ie: if you go out tomorrow and buy yourself an all singing, all dancing alarm, that is Thatcham CAT 1 approved, and have it fitted to your car, two things could happen.

Your insurance company may not "recognise" it as one of their listed systems(they can pick and choose any CAT 1 system they like, even if you have one on already, they might tell you to change it)

The other thing is that Thatcham can delete it from their evaluation catalogue, and no longer give it recognision.

Thanks for all the reassurance everyone. Parking the vehicle and leaving it on display for 5 days a week does leave me a bit worried... but at least it should still be there when I get back... in what condition I don't know but it'll still be there.

I cannot find any specifications on the alarm design. I am after answers to questions such as... Will the alarm go off...?

• if a window is smashed?
  • if the car is lifted level onto the back of a transporter?
  • if the front end is lifted (for towing)?
  • if the wheels are tampered with?

I realise that if someone is going to take your car then they'll take it... I just want to stop the casual theif from taking a fancy to it.

I also went to Halfords and bought two "This car is alarmed and immobilised" stickers... and have a very neat flashing L.E.D. (home built) alarm-looking air-freshener as visual deterrants.

Would anyone suggest a steering-wheel lock, or is that over-the-top?

I cannot find any specifications on the alarm design.  I am after answers to questions such as...  Will the alarm go off...?
  • if a window is smashed?
  • if the car is lifted level onto the back of a transporter?
  • if the front end is lifted (for towing)?
  • if the wheels are tampered with?

The IS has deadlocks and interior sensors, so if a window is smashed, then alarm will go off, and the theif will be unable to unlock the door from the inside.

Also, if they manage to unlock the bonnet, then the alarm will go off.

As for being towed, I cannot comment, hopefully someone with more knowledge will be able to help you.

I do not think that the alarm will sound if the alloys are tampered with, and it will be worth investing in locking wheel nuts, if they are not already fitted.

Would anyone suggest a steering-wheel lock, or is that over-the-top?

I would reccomend whatever makes you feel better, a steering lock is a good visable deterrent, and as such, may stop an oportunist thief 'having a go' at getting in your car.

[*]if the car is lifted level onto the back of a transporter?

[*]if the front end is lifted (for towing)?

don't know about the alarm.

but if your car has tracker fitted, then rasing the vehicle will trigger the tracker device.

I had it installed before delivery.

Tracker Monitor - if the device is activated, they ring me up, and ask if I know the car is in motion.

I guarantee it will be triggered when towed, as my first IS was written off from an accident, and I got a call within minutes of the towing company turning up to take it away.

Next car will have the new version (which they brought out just after I bought my car :angry: ), whereby if the tracker is triggered, they ask you, alert the police and track the car using GPS.

Next car will have the new version (which they brought out just after I bought my car :angry: ), whereby if the tracker is triggered, they ask you, alert the police and track the car using GPS.

I was thinking about getting a tracking device fitted. Is it true you have to pay a monthly subscription (on top of the price of installation) to enable the GPS tracking / police call..?

I'm just wondering if some petty thief can come along, cut the hand-brake cable, and push my car away without anyone even batting an eyelid because the alarm isn't going off..? They'd have to get into the car and smash the steering column though if they wanted to turn it... so I'd be more likely to find it in a straight line pushed into a brick-wall probably. Grrrrr

Next car will have the new version (which they brought out just after I bought my car  :angry: ), whereby if the tracker is triggered, they ask you, alert the police and track the car using GPS.

That would be the "Tracker Horizon" Matthew,

I have one on my car.

You can pay a "one off " payment (which is worth it if your gonna keep the car a while), or you can pay a yearly subscription.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links