Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Am delighted to be a Lexus owner and proud to be driving an LS400.

Have owned many Toyotas (10?) over the years with the last two being Camrys The last one a V6 (my first V6) and was instantly addicted to the v-noise. Currently doing low miles per year (close to work and sometimes cycle) so if the V6 is good, what must a V8 be like....? Well no better time to try. And in using Toyota dealers over the years, and when they had Lexus dealership on site, the Lexus was always a draw.

Have bought a Mk4 99 S in Amethyst Pearl. Black leather. 186k on the clock. Paint very good bar some discreet areas: dent and touch-up on front wing, driver's mirror casing bashed and stuck together, small area of lacquer gone on front of bonnet. Wheels need the usual. Mechanicals seem fine (13 months MOT). Interior is spotless. Previous owners were meticulous with 18 stamps (all bar two, in the middle, Lexus dealer). Last owner had annual Lexus service, cambelt, etc. Even Lexus invoice for a Battery. One service invoice in file for £1,250! Ouch! Previous owner looked after car so well but obviously not a regular Sunday norning car washer (and had tree lined drive) so taking a while to get it back shining.

Bought in eBay auction and work commitments meant had to do the wrong thing by buying without seeing! Fortunately Lexus owners seem to me good people. Actually paid less than sold my Camry (lot fewer miles) but guess that is the effect of petrol prices causing terror for 4litre V8 cars.

The V6 Camry was good so expecting the LS to be a bit better but cannot believe how much better it is. Almost unreal how good it is.

Only problem in picking it up was exhaust blow. Turned out to be the y-pipe. Have seen on here advice to go for a genuine replacement but need to replace tyres, so the excellent folk at Roy's Motor Company have been able to fix it. Really good people who really know so much about Toyota/Lexus.

After tyres, will refurb wheels. One question is can the centre caps (big ones on 16" wheels) be powder coated. Firm who just powder coated my son's Toyota alloys said not possible to do the (and my centre caps are scruffy). And said Toyota and BMW wheels a problem? Does this make sense? Options to get a reasonable wheels and centre caps good?.

Looking forward to Lexus ownership and being part of LOC.

Congratulations on your purchase. You don't know it yet but you have just become a Lexus owner forever :-)

Once bitten by the smiley bug you won't want to go back. Lots of owners convert to lpg thus removing the fuel issue somewhat. Lpg is my next job once I've saved up a bit.

Anyway, welcome to the club.

A Lexus LS driver forever then !

Well, I've owned 3 now and been driving them for over 9.5 years as my main car .... could this be a record ?

Thoughts

Malc

Yes, welcome to the Club. Can't advise about the exhaust or the wheels (though mine need doing and I've been quoted around £250 for four) but just wanted to say hello. The Camry V6 has always interested me as a sort of halfway-Lexus, but I've noticed recently that they cost more than the equivalent age LS400. Sounds like yours has a good service history, which lessens the risk you've taken. My mechanic says I can run mine (98R with 145,000 on the clock) for another ten years if I want to. Occasionally I worry about running such an old car, but then I do a long run in supreme comfort and come back thinking, 'Why drive anything else?'

Welcome to the LOC and Lexus ownership.

I bought mine when it was 12 years old with just 38,000 on it. It is now 18 years old with 79,000 miles on, the longest time I have ever kept a car.

Even when it got accident damaged I couldn't find another in the same (pre accident) condition and although the insurers wrote it off I spend the money having it repaired.

The mileage is nothing when you have a FLSH the problems you do have are common and fairly minor known faults but most parts are cheap enough secondhand apart from the Y section.

Trapped in Lexus land

Yep, once driven - never given up.

Sounds like you got a deal there.

I just got a W reg (2000) MK4, only 120K for £2300, but not one issue with body work apart from usual chips.

I looked for one with good wheels, as this seems to be the bit that spoils the car, and costs a chunk of cash to get looking good.

As for fuel, ye[p people seem scared of V8's but mine does about 36 to the gallon on the motorway (at 60mph - just a great cruisng speed), and around the country side about 28 to the gallon, which is only 5 less then my wfie Honda 1.8 litre.

Place I bought mine from says he only deals with Toyotas and VW's as he never has any calls on warranty,and likes to have 100% happy customers.

By the way mine has full Lexus service, but never spotted the leaky boot problem, which plagues most cars I had looked at.

Enjoy driving around in a lounge.

Cheers, Pete

Many thanks for the Welcomes.

Funny that you say about being addicted. My wife was keener on the newer looks of the similar age GS300 but I knew if I'd bought one I'd still want an LS. So bought this thinking it is a decent car, keep it for a year, hopefully get new ticket for not too much money and move on....but already it makes me think, move on to what?

And the good people at Roys Motor Company have fixed the exhaust so now the refined car it was (to be fair, even with multiple blows in the exhaust, inside the car, exhaust was barely audible). Once fixed, took onto dual carriageway, and realised acceleration was signaled just by the slight murmur of increasing wind noise ...how can it be that refined? And with 187k on it.

Have always thought all the Toyotas we've owned were good, but the LS is in another league.

Kevan

They are more addictive than crack.

Mike

Is that comment based on experience Mike? :)

Nope I am boring dont smoke, dont drink, dont take drugs, dont gamble, dont womanise apart from Lexie as I said boring.

Mike

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links