Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

How Does This Is Sound ?

Think I may have (finally) found the IS I have been searching for. I've been having problems as I am being quite fussy - the car must be a Lex used approved in black with exmoor and be a manual SE - also I can only afford around £15K.

My local dealer has just got one in to my specification - it is a 2001/X with 40 000 miles and they are asking £14 950. Full history including the 40k service just done by selling dealer (which I am given to understand is quite expensive).

Obviously I can haggle this but the dealer has already given me a sob story about how little he is making on the car - I'm a bit unfortuntate here because he knows how much I want this particular spec. I'm also aware that his asking price is very close to my 'budget' i.e. has he priced it purely with me in mind knowing it's exactly what I want (?)

Anyway he has already agreed that he will give it 6 months tax, tank of fuel and new flaps. I'll work on the price with him if I definatley go for it - what is realistic ?

BUT - my main reason for posting is:

When the selling dealer carried out the 40k service they also changed the brake pads, fitted 4 new alloys and 4 new Bridgestone Tyres. Whilst this may all seem like 'plus' points I have found out that the previous owner was a leasing company. Is it highly likley that the previous owner (who obviously leased the car) wouldn't have cared for it much and hence bashed the wheels and was heavy on tyres / brakes ?

The selling dealer said that the wheels were replaced because they were 'slightly marked and detracted from the otherwise excellent condition of the car' and the tyres were replaced because 'although they were perfectly legal they were not of a brand which Lexus would sell on an approved car'.

So . . . good buy / bad buy - what to pay and how does this dealers comments sound ?

Avoid an ex lease car or buy safe in the knowledge that the history is up to date, the mileage is likely to be mostly motorway and the Lex can take it anyway ?

Look forward to some wise words !

Dealers will always put on new wheels unless completly unmarked. Tyres need to be 4mm + for Lexus approved and they will put on OEM ones.

40k service is not that expensive, not when the dealer is getting parts at trade prices and their own people are doing the work.

Lexus dealers have a large difference between trade-in and retail due to cost of service/wheels/tyres/respray etc. but they still make a good profit so try and knock them down. However be aware that there are alot of people who will pay the asking price so the dealer may just hold out.

Leased/company cars. This is a difficult call, I know many people who abuse their company cars but then others treat them like their own. The IS is reliable so if it's got full history, which it will have from a dealer, and it comes with a one year warranty then you shouldn't have many problems.

Sounds a little pricey to me ...

My bruv recently gave up his immaculate 10k mile 2002 'sport' (02 reg i think).

Dealer could only give him £16.2k for it ...

Anyway, back to the car in question ...

Push for a minimum of 2yrs warranty, 3 if you can get it.

If it has the nav system, insist on the latest CD.

How about a mesh grille and / or front lip spoiler ?

Basically, if they won't move on price,

Look at the accessories book and push for as much as you can get :devil:

They do some cool shades B)

It is near to the end of the month .... they will lokking for targets ..... if you are happy with the car and you want it tell him about the other one you have been offered .......... same spec. les miles but don't overdo it ....... tell him why you want to buy from him ............ have a cheque for £14k already written out and put it in his hand .......... see what he does ........... but don't lose it if you want it for less than a grand ......... you can always write out another one for £950 or less .....

Good luck ....

Thanks for the stuff so far.

Just to respond to the points so far . . . pee.j - tempting but I really don't want a sport, I also like the idea of a dealer warranty, hope you do find a buyer soon though.

On price of the car I've seen - I agree it's a bit steep so I'll certainly be looking to cut a deal on the screen price.

warranty - can you get a 2 or 3 year warranty on a used car ? - I thought 1 year was all that was available no matter how hard you try.

Also thought I'd mention the dealer (don't think I've said anything untrue / unfair) so they are - Lexus Hatfield - anyone dealt with them - how did it go ?

Keep it coming . . . much appreciated

On a discouraging note..

If you're young looking they won't budge at all :crying: like for me.

BUT, I did get an IS200 Sport with 19K on the clock for £14,600 from a dealer..

I think that was a goodish deal so wasn't too fussed he wouldn't budge much.

smw Posted on Jul 22 2003, 09:38 PM

Just to respond to the points so far . . . pee.j - tempting but I really don't want a sport, I also like the idea of a dealer warranty, hope you do find a buyer soon though

It's not up for sale(he he)........just thought i'd throw it in the ring as it were, to see the response id get

mind you if somebody came up with the cash..........who knows...bye bye IS

:lol::lol::lol:

On a discouraging note..

If you're young looking they won't budge at all :crying: like for me.

Well I'm 35 and look it (at least !).

Reminds me of a quote from David in 'The Office'

“How old would you say I was, if you didn’t know me?”

“Forty?”

“No. How old do you think I look?”

“er, thirty-nine?”

“Most people think I look about thirty.”

“Definitely not.”

“Oh, are you calling them liars? What do you think?”

“erm, between thirty and forty?”

“Yes. . . . More honest.”

The dealer will normally provide a 12 month warranty or the balance of the original warranty, whichever is the greater. So if you buy a car first registered in March 2001, the original warranty will expire March 2004, but dealer will provide warranty until July 2004.

You can also purchase an extended warranty thru Lexus.... (quote from the Lexus UK website)

Additional protection of a Lexus Extended Warranty is available annually until your Lexus is seven years old, and has reached 140,000 miles.

Regarding your concerns on a lease car, at least you know it'll have been serviced regularly as clockwork and will have been looked after well mechanically. At worst the bodywork/wheels wouldn't be looked after but generally everything else tends to be fine.

Mine's a lease car but done on a PCP rather than through the company and I love it to bits !

Tell him you have a sweet tooth and this deal is currently not sweet enough!

I would push for 12 months tax, a boot liner (worth about £130 - I think), proper Lexus mats as they wear better than garage equiv.)

You may be lucky to get the full 1k off, but have a go. Also you could try for next service free for 50% off or something.

Push hard, you may be lucky. Ask to see the accessories brochure and then pick what you want, spare bulb sets etc. All of this comes out a different pot to the car profit. The garage can clear these things much easier.

Good luck

lots of good advice in this thread.

no-one has mentioned servicing packs?

Lexus do pre-paid servicing plans - look for free / cheaper pack for three years servicing?

The cost of servicing can be high - but the cost to Lexus is relatively low - they get the parts at a significantly cheaper rate, and they do not pay their mechanics £80 an hour!

might be easier for the dealer to cut a deal on this?

looks like someones gonna have to change their avatar in a week or so B)

a gold members badge goes nicely under the avatar too ;)

After looking at the pre-paid packs, I think they are mega expensive.

2 yr pack for used IS200 is what, £460 or something. You will not pay that for 2 services. First small at about £100 then second at £200.

Think they are taking the pee slightly. How do they ever think it will cost that much to service. Maybe on a high miler or old car but not that much goes wrong, does it?

After looking at the pre-paid packs, I think they are mega expensive.

2 yr pack for used IS200 is what, £460 or something.  You will not pay that for 2 services.  First small at about £100 then second at £200.

thought that price was for three years.

Think they are taking the pee slightly.  How do they ever think it will cost that much to service.  Maybe on a high miler or old car but not that much goes wrong, does it?

absolutely!

thats why I mentioned it - pretty easy for the dealer to chuck in - and I would consider a few free / cheaper services a real deal sweetener.

Used vehicle pricing

There is an option to purchase either two or three services retaining your used vehicle longer at your preferred Lexus Centre

2 Services 3 Services

SC430          £520.00    £760.00

LS430            £530.00    £780.00

GS300/430    £500.00    £740.00

RX300            £490.00    £720.00

IS300            £520.00    £770.00

IS200            £460.00    £670.00

Sorry about the spacing, link is also here

New cars I think work out a little better, but then most parts are under warrenty.

Anyway :offtopic: slightly, Definately as Matthew says, have a go as a service to them is peanuts.

Well spoken with the dealer today.

He won't take a penny off the screen price.

Very reluctant to chuck anything in as well - just mats, tank of fuel, 6 months tax. Wouldn't even agree to a set of mud flaps.

Bit silly.

I want the car but I also want a 'deal'.

Have noticed a 2000 car (but still X plate) at another dealer (Tonbridge Wells). Also black SE manual. It's almost excatly the same price as the Hatfield one but has done 11 000 less miles.

Perhaps even more interesting at Lexus Stockport a black SE manual on 2000 W plate, 2 000 less miles than the Hatfield car but screen price is £1 000 less at £13 995 (without any negotiating).

Right . . .looks like I'm off to Cheshire !

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links