Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

MNP

Hi to all,

I have been following this forum for a while, I am looking for an LS400 and there seem to be plenty on eBay but plenty of pitfalls too. As a long time owner of a Landcruiser Colorado, I know that things rarely go wrong but when they do, they are expensive!!! When I bought my Colorado 6 years ago it had the dreaded coolant in transmission fluid with a previous owner, I was on borrowed time. I had the transmission rebuilt last year, I am anxious not to buy a barrel of problems!!!

I am in North Shropshire and willing to bide my time but any help would be gratefully received.

There is one on eBay at the moment http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251134444790?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_500wt_1284

It's only possible to tell so much from listings but any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Best wishes, Mark.

It looks nice, worth going to take a look if it's not too far away from you.

Looking at the seller's feedback it appears he has only just started to sell vehicles, nearly all the feedback is on other items.

The LS400 doesn't really have any major engine/gearbox issues to worry about (provided it shifts well, transmission fluid is clean), wear in the suspension components is potentially where you money could end up.

Thanks Colin,

The 18 stamps in the book mean an average service interval of around 9000 miles, would this be correct? I also assume the cam belt would have been done at 90000?

I have just had 20 litres of 10/40 semi synthetic delivered for the old girl (she gets an oil change every 3 to 4000 miles, sadly 8 litres at a time!!!!), would this also be suitable for the Lexus?

Thanks again, Mark.

Hi Mark, yes at that age I believe the service interval is 9k miles. You would need to check the service book for the cambelt interval, seem to get mixed reports from members - either 63k miles or 90k. Lexus dealers will normally place a sticker on the engine indicating the belt has been changed (date and mileage)

10w40 is fine. Depending on the dealer if may have had fully synth oil all its life but semi isn't a problem, especially if you are going to change less than every 9k like you do with the LC.

It looks a nice one for the money, conflicting details on the number of owners as there must be at least 3 including the seller if he has registered it in his name,if it isn't I would ask questions as to the legal ownership. Has also sold another car recently (private dealer?)

Definitely worth a look I think.

It looks a nice one for the money, conflicting details on the number of owners as there must be at least 3 including the seller if he has registered it in his name,if it isn't I would ask questions as to the legal ownership. Has also sold another car recently (private dealer?)

Definitely worth a look I think.

certainly a dealer, he currently has 5 vehicles for sale on eBay.

Thanks for the link. In the cold light of day I think I will wait a little longer as it is near the top end of my budget, so not much leeway for remedial work, if required. Perhaps wait until I have gained a little more knowledge and keep an eye on the club classifieds. I suspect I could easily overlook problems when viewing such a luxurious motor, I have been down that route before and paid the price. The SAAB 9-5 was a lovely car, certainly not a Lexus but I had two of them and regretted the second one, mostly due to engineering corner cutting which always manifests itself expensively further down the line with the second or third owner!!

Mark.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links