Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Autobox Is200 Problem. Might Be Easy Fix?

jamesey

hi ive got a 2001 lexus is 200 with a auto box , ive got 2 problems with it and dont know what it could be , first question is when i come to a junction on a steep hill in drive if i take my foot off the accelerator when standing still the car rolls back , if its in drive shouldnt it hold? same happens if facing down hill in reverse ,

the second question is every now and then when im driving the lexus in drive when it changes up it does a little vibration , its defenatly when changing up , it might do it twice a week depending how much i drive it , it almost feels like im driving over the hard shoulder anti bump strips.

ive checked the oil in the box but only when stood level with the engine off , i know on some cars i have to have it running , also would it be hard to change to oil in the box? thanks in advance.

They normally do hold on an incline but if it is especially steep auto transmissions have been known to roll but holding the brakes on will prevent this.

Vibration could be due to a worn transmission mount.

The correct fluid level checking proceedure should be in your handbook but is normally performed with the fluid hot after a good run.

For my LS400 have the engine running and slowly move the selector from Park to Low then back again. Remove the dipstick,wipe,reinsert,remove and check the hot level on it.

The fluid should be a cherry red colour, if it's a dirty brown replace it, if it smells burnt worry!

Only use Toyota Type IV fluid.

The engine ticks over quite slowly on these, especially for an auto. This means they don't hill hold as well.

I have a sloped drive and mine will hold when cold (faster tick over) but not when warm.

Cant help with the vibration though.

The box has a drain plug that would be easy enough to locate. There's an oil strainer in the gearbox sump which can be cleaned along with the magnet.

According to the manual youre supposed to remove the dipstick tube to fill it. But looking at it, that wouldn't be easy.

I believe the diff is like most with a drain plug and a combined fill and level plug.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links