Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Mixing Tyre Brands

Had my 40k service done at the weekend - was told tyres would need doing.

Rears are fine - fronts are worn (on the insides no less - what a surprise! :blush: )

Looking at Toyo Proxes, several people (who'se opinion I value) rave about them - so thats all good.

question is - how wise is it to have the Toyos on the front and the standard potenzas on the rear?

rears have 5 mil of tread, and do not need replacing - so can I get away with just replacing the fronts?

should I stop being a cheap skate and put 4 new tyres on?

Hi matthew.....

I don't know what potenzas are the seriess tire in yous country (here in Italy lex standards has michelin Pilot sport).... by the way have a mix of tires may be sometimes not so terrible...

Last year i drove with different brand of tires in my clio 16v and the anly problem was the warming time.....

In rounds (when you push very hard) the car was firstly strange.... the front and the rear tires were different (front = pirelli Pzero) (rear= toyo Proxes T1-S)... and since when you have past 2-3 minutes to the limit the car was very strange.... A lot of Understeering and Oversteering it depends.... when alla the 4 tires were warmed the car was not so bad!!!! :winky:

My toyo proxes S (185/55 R15) were good but the shoulder was terrible :sick: like chewing gum, makes my clio not very well on the corners. In the case of Lex (215/45 R17) the problem will not be.... :winky:

i personally dont recomend having mixed brands the is2 is very twitchy on mixed brands and has its preffered tyre choice

get the toyo...and all 4.....but make sure you bed them in well

saying that the milage you do....that wont be a problem

i personally dont recomend having mixed brands the is2 is very twitchy on mixed brands and has its preffered tyre choice

get the toyo...and all 4.....but make sure you bed them in well

saying that the milage you do....that wont be a problem

excellent Mat - cheers mate ;)

presumably I should order 5 new tyres to get the spare on the same tyres too?

this means I will have

2 x standard potenzas, with 5 mill left

1 x standard potenza which had a nail in it, and I will be repairing

what can I do with these?

any offers?

that is also true steven......

however tyres have different caractures, and as the is 2 is already known to favor types of tyres why risk upsetting the cars balance with 2 different brands of tyre.....

bridgestone are a medium/soft compund, and the toyos are a medium compound.

one tyre uses block pattern, another uses V pattern

one is a all rounder tyre with good wet traits the other is a more sporty tyre with medium, / good wet traits, but better stopping

do you really want to mix tyres that in a corner have different handeling ........in wouldnt

more than Toyo ones?

I've found toyo shuolder very bad (in 185/55 r15) but the compound was good and the tire was (apart from the shoulder sporty and quite good)

the side wall on the lexus is much smaller, so the roll will not be as prononced.

and therefore the shoulder wear(fethering) will be not there

i only fit Toyo Proxes T1-S

NEVER HAD ANY ISSUES WITH THEM

First off - Matt, wicked Avatar mate, where did you find that?

Also, what type compound are the Dunlops SP9000 or whatever the number?

I like them better than the Bridgestones but they are a little noisier.

Bridgestones = £148

Where are you buying them from? Very expensive. My rear SO-2 tyres for my Supra (255x50x17) were only £130 each. I recently paid £115 for SO-3 on my GS

Try: http://www.micheldever.co.uk They import most tyres into the country.

Also Bracknell tyre and Battery give excellent prices.

I swear by the Dunlop SP9000's.. you can get them for about 100 quid each... and get about 25k out of them...

i agree

my dunlops are still like new 5000 miles on them

where as my original bridgestones look worn with only 3000 miles on them

i found them quieter as well, even going up to 18s

I meant Matthew McNally!!! Soz. Though other one is nice too! :)

I have done about 14k on my dunlops and the car had done 6k when I got it, guessing they were not new when I got them (apart from one I know they changed!)

So 20k and not a huge amount of wear is wicked as far as I am concerned!!

I can reccommend Micheldever, though I find Headley tyres in Headley (sometimes under Thatcham or Newbury) cheaper by about £5.

If you don't live near here, try www.mytyres.co.uk (or .com dunno which). They deliver for free to an address of your choice. Have to get em fitted though!

I have had very mixed results with mixing brands.

My car came with Pirelli P-Zero Rossos as standard which were pretty reasonable, the rears wore out first which I replaced with Toyo Proxes. The car drove like a bag of ******* until I fitted Toyos on the front as well. Toyos are the best tyres I have ever fitted for grip BUT: I fitted another set of Toyos 3 1/2 months ago and the rears were down to the braiding on the inner edge after 3 months. Granted, this is probably down to me running about 80mm lower than standard but I would have expected more than about 6k out of them.

I am currently running with Goodyear Eagle F1's on the rear and Toyos on the front with no trouble whatsoever. The Goodyears grip nearly as well as the Toyos, but it remains to be seen what they wear like. One thing is for sure though, I can't keep spending £300 on rear tyres every 3 months :crybaby::crybaby::crybaby:

I might just have to start driving like Zee :zee: :whistling:

I have pilot sports on the front and pilot primacy on the back, and it seems to be fine.

At least i guess they are the same make, but the sports are revolution tyres.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links