Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Lexus Is200 V Vauxhall Vectra Sri Dti

Adgti

Hi gang! Just joined to pick some brains!

I currently run a 53 plate Vectra 2.2 SRi DTi which is quite a sporty diesel with a 145000 miles under its belt! A friend of mine has a Lexus IS200 on a Y plate with 130000 miles on it and he wants to do a deal on a swap. Both cars are pretty mint body wise!

I know their reliable Japanese motors but haven't driven one yet......and I know I'll be losing half my fuel economy if I swapped, but I don't do big miles.....just a 18 mile round trip to work and back and some pottering about.

So the question is shall I swap ?? Any advice or pointers would be appreciated !! Thanks ;-)

Mate id swap in a heart beat, came from a vectra to an is200 and they are in a different class. Admittedly mine was a vec b not a c.

I hate the vectra c with a passion, boring bland looking barges with a nondescript interior.

Try the lexus for an hour and you wont want the vauxhall back i assure you.

really depends if you really want a Lexus .. first of all ask why does your mate want to swap his Lexus with you?? migh have a problem which he wants to get rid off and if your Vauxhall is running ok and not giving any problems why do you want to swap it for the Lex?? if you just fancy a Lex and dont mind loosing 10 miles more for the same gallon as compared to the Vuaxhall then by all means swap for the IS200, it would be more smoother, refined and less noiser than the Diesel and as you confirmed they hardly break but when they do its not cheap, Jap car parts are not cheap in general same as Honda, Nissan, Mazda but Lexus being a premium brand commands more ££'s for parts..... servicing like oil and filter changes would be about the same as the diesel.

Cant fault you with the diesel economy, Not meaning to insult your car but the lexus has all the comfort and gizmos you dont get with a vauxhall.

As said compare the drive yourself before you decide,

also before you make your mind up ask when cambelt was done, make sure front calipers move freely and not binding, check for clunking on suspension.

Good luck.You have to do what feels right to you.

Cambelt,cambelt,cambelt!

Check when it was changed. If there is no sticker or record with the mileage on the cambelt cover then walk.

That mileage it should be on it's 3rd cambelt, 60k changeover.

Possibly why he wants rid of it,cambelt.water pump and the rest is not a cheap job.

Hi gang! Just joined to pick some brains!

I currently run a 53 plate Vectra 2.2 SRi DTi which is quite a sporty diesel with a 145000 miles under its belt! A friend of mine has a Lexus IS200 on a Y plate with 130000 miles on it and he wants to do a deal on a swap. Both cars are pretty mint body wise!

I know their reliable Japanese motors but haven't driven one yet......and I know I'll be losing half my fuel economy if I swapped, but I don't do big miles.....just a 18 mile round trip to work and back and some pottering about.

So the question is shall I swap ?? Any advice or pointers would be appreciated !! Thanks ;-)

As the others have said the Lexus is in a different class. However, I do have the 2.2 dti Vectra (on a 53 plate) which I use for work, I've had it for 6 years and it's been a great workhorse with loads of space, so it depends what you want to use it for. The Vectra is a bit rough and ready around town, and the front is dull to look at, but a brilliant motorway cruiser with no wind or road noise, and a very comfortable car for making a long journey. Aslo parts are cheap and plentiful. You also don't have the concern of a cambelt as it has a chain which lasts if the oil is kept clean. On the practical side, I would consider another Vectra when my current one is dead. Another point to remember, there are people out there who think the Vectra is fab and the Lexus looks dull, horses for courses (whatever that means!)

Phil

Cheers Bash, Chris and Phil! Will take all the comments on board about the Lexus and look more closely.....

You're right about the Vectra though Phil, it's a bloody good workhorse and is chain driven....one of the reasons I got it! Only thing holding me back is the economy.....cos prior to the Vectra I had a Jeep Grand Cherokee and 16 to the gallon was a real eye opener in the real world! Now it feels like the Vectra runs on air. Had a Saab 95 Aero before that ( 2.0 turbo) and early 20's was a lot better but duable!

Thank you very much all if you for taking time out....you Lexus lads are a good bunch!

Adam

• 2 months later...

You can't knock the Vauxhalls for banging up and down the motorways, thats what they are built for and do a good job, I had an Insignia, not inspiring but ate the motorways for dinner and used no fuel doing it, But the Lexus is a totally different beast

So you change from a 53 plate to a Y plate and double your running costs! Changing to a Lexus would only make sense to me if you were getting a similar age or newer car than you currently have.

what does the guide say on the prices on both cars,as said if a cam belt etc is needed then thats going to cost a few quid,unless you know a m8 who can do the job??

you could end up losing big time,do some checking.

Check the cambelt as Bash says but even if it needs replacing do the swap then book it in for a cambelt change.

Lose a Vectra, gain an IS200 all for the price of a cambelt. Win all the way! As Ian says, the Lex is in a different class.

Totally agree with Chris

Like i said at the beginning i've had both and would rather have an older lexus than a bland and very boring vec,c good on fuel or not.

Yes i hate the newer vectra with a passion.

The Lexus will be more of a value to yourself than anyone else. Unfortunately you will lose out when/if coming to sell it one day vs the Vectra diesel. Although i have noticed they are fetching slightly more recently for some reason!

Depends what you want from a car. Quietness, smoothness and comfyness has always been my priority so the Lexus is perfect for me. I also didnt want something too big and found the IS is a luxury car in a small fun package, which is rare. Im not bothered about performance or MPG, These cars are not fast but effortless, and MPG isnt the best, but not in the teens or anything

really depends if you really want a Lexus .. first of all ask why does your mate want to swap his Lexus with you?? migh have a problem which he wants to get rid off and if your Vauxhall is running ok and not giving any problems why do you want to swap it for the Lex?? if you just fancy a Lex and dont mind loosing 10 miles more for the same gallon as compared to the Vuaxhall then by all means swap for the IS200, it would be more smoother, refined and less noiser than the Diesel and as you confirmed they hardly break but when they do its not cheap, Jap car parts are not cheap in general same as Honda, Nissan, Mazda but Lexus being a premium brand commands more ££'s for parts..... servicing like oil and filter changes would be about the same as the diesel.

I dont know about the IS300 but the IS200 parts are very reasonable and plenty of after market alternatives. I agree the bigger lexus's are pricey when it comes to repairs but not the IS200

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links