Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

OK as many know I was getting a conversion last Wed, so instead of getting an MOT & then making arrangments with Porfess, I made arrangments with Profess & got the MOT last Mon (holiday Mon).

It passed the MOT but an advisory was that it needed, top, rear wishbone bushes..then it all went pearshape.

Bushes & wishbones to me are just names I have heard mentioned, know nothing about except they are to do with wheel areas, so, I called in a Lexus I pass past Mon, I almost certainly did not explain I needed bushes for the top wishbone & cant really remeber exactly what I told him except the bushes were to do with rear wheel area.

From whatever it was I said, the guy said he knew what I meant & that it needed lower suspension arms at at least £250 per wheel, that threw me, Ive heard of bushes & thought you simply bought the bushes & the garage fitted them for you (I buy parts, my regular mechanic fits whatever it is). I told Lexus to hold it.

I called in at my regualr mechanics & gave him some blurred story as to what I thought was wrong, he checked & said it was the upper wishbone bushes which need replacing, nothing more unless Lexus have some kind of policy of not supplying bushes but a whole part instead, he does not know.

So can anyone comment on the above, I am sure its familiar to many here but I am in no way mechnical minded or close to that.

I contacted Leon at Profess & said I forfited my deposite, but, he was as good as gold & emailed back saying that if I got the conversion in this next 3 months the deposite is till, what a great place to do buisness with, when things go pear shape & I am out of my depth its noce to see a bright light shining somewhere.

Anyway any comments on the above welcome, I mean a '95 LS, I wonder how much is worth spending on it, if anything. Apart from this whishbone stuff its fine, bone dry underneath, no known corrosion at all & running like a dream - but I feel insecure now, I am well out opf depth on knowledge.

Hi,

I had the exact same issue on my IS.

Basically you are correct when you said Lexus have a policy not to supply bushes but the whole part instead. The reason is because it's a lot easier for a mechanic to replace the whole part. To replace bushes you have to remove the control arm/wishbone then remove the bush then replace the bush then bolt the part back to the car. By cutting out the middle process of sorting the bushes, Lexus make more money on parts as bushes are not expensive but wishbones are. It also means their mechanics aren't tied up on a job thats taking 2 hours when it could be done in 30 mins.

Ive been lucky enough - ive never had to do any suspension related work on my on my Lexi

But from time to time you do read about rear bushes and I don't know wether these are the correct ones but members often mention Polyeurethane ones which are a cheaper and better aftermarket product.

Hopefully somebody more knowledgeable will be along shortly and answer your question

Dont worry too much - atleast you haven't lost your deposit although you may have to wait a bit longer for LPGd motoring!

I'm getting abit more of the picture now with those posts, as I said I have heard of guys needing 'bushes' but Lexus threw me on the suspension bits & did make me start to consider - is it worth it as 'this might be a sign of things to come with a '95 car'.

Apart from this the car is in superb dry condition underneath, perfect engine, needs a fanbelt & maybe a tensioner, but it has made me question whats best with a '95, at least your posts so far show its a normal wear problem just heightened by the Lexus parts supply system.

Dave, don't panic !!!! What's the mileage and is this the first year you have had this specific Advisory with the MOT ?

Any other Advisories, or Advisories with prior MOTs ? Wouldn't it be best to give your mechanic the Advisory sheet or better still, get him to have your car MOT'd for the future so he can deal with the Tester and organise what's best for your car and you.

These Advisories might go on for a couple of years ..... depends what your likely annual mileage might be and if they really need attention and changing at this time.

He might have some available options too of course, discuss it with him just don't spend your money yet, especially on Lexus main dealer parts without investigating all a little further.

I doubt it's all as gloom and doom as you may think !

Malc

As said an advisory on slight movement in a bush isn't cause for panic you may be able to drive it for 2 or 3 years before it becomes serious. If you get your mechanic to get a pry bar on all the bushes you could end up spending a small fortune to get it all perfect brand new. I would get that bush checked & see how much or little movement there is. Get the lpg conversion & stick the money you save aside to do the bush.

• Like 1

I do know one thing about him, he seems to start a classified ad with one car, switch to another vehicle half way through, and even finish with yet another on the last sale that I followed.

He does seem to mostly deal in Toyota and Lexus.

Whether he's any good, don't know I'm afraid, and with classified ads it's difficult to check his history.

Forgot to say, with regards to cost of maintenance, if it's a sound car, the cost of fixing is balanced by the lack of depreciation - it's around 10 grand for the first year on Mondeos and other euroboxes - that pays for a lot of fuel and parts on your LS.

I bought my LS400 from him in March. I had the car checked over by Lexus Bristol and all it needed was a split wiper blade replacing and a rear number plate bulb replacing, so the car was as straight as he said it was. He seemed very straightforward and honest to deal with, and I was and am happy with the deal (107K miles 1998 MkIV, absolutely everything working, £2000).

As an example on my very 1st MOT on my LS400 I got advisories on "Front brake discs scored" and "Front brake hoses showing signs of cracking"

For the last 5 years with the very same discs and hoses the car has received no advisories!

In other words don't worry about it, get it fixed when you can and just replace the bush required, if the fault was serious you would have been failed on the MOT.

The only thing you need to confirm is exactly which bush is worn,buy it and have it fitted.

My recent post regarding the sepentine belt idler pulley confirms the way Lexus replace parts, had I taken the car there they would have replaced the whole pulley costing around £80.00 plus labour. DIY or local independent garage method replace just the bearing costing £1.35!

That guy your talking about i think is from Birmingham, he sold an ls400 to a friend of mine recently and told him it was in mint condition and wants for nothing. When my friend bought the car, he drove it and could hear a loud humming sound, turned out it needed new front wheel bearings. So i wouldnt trust him.

That guy your talking about i think is from Birmingham, he sold an ls400 to a friend of mine recently and told him it was in mint condition and wants for nothing. When my friend bought the car, he drove it and could hear a loud humming sound, turned out it needed new front wheel bearings. So i wouldnt trust him.

I've seen that Fleabay username before and checking feedback has recently sold a GS and a Soarer,becoming a bit of a dealer me thinks.

Dave, don't panic !!!!

What's the mileage and is this the first year you have had this specific

Advisory with the MOT ?

Its 140k, no not this ‘bush’ advisory just one for “slight play in

front ball joint” but I know what happened with the ball joint, I hit quite

high kerb hard (ripped the tyre) avoiding a squirrel but this bush thing I have

never had.

I think it was the way Lexus came across telling me I had to get lower

suspension arms, I don’t even know what bushes are or what they do, but all of

a sudden I was confronted with ‘lower suspension arms’ were needed, of course,

me being illiterate on these things I simply thought ‘”a suspension problem”

& do know that’s not to be taken lightly….…so I thought ‘what next’,

because I am illiterate on these things.

But its coming through on here that the thing as a whole is not a huge

problem that needs urgent attention. Its all made worse ‘cause I had Profess

booked for last Wed, both tax & new insurance are due end of month so decisions

have to be made as accurate as possible, including the breakers potential &

all the hassle of buying another, which in reality might have the exact same

problem or no problems at all for this next 10 years.

Anyway the replies are giving me clearer, in context, picture so I am non to

worried at the moment ‘cept about the LPG conversion.

Thanks for all replies & thanks for fedback on that LS seller or maybe dealer, I agree prices are going up & noticed there are more being sold by dealers than there used to be, seems to indicate some kind of organised system.

Hi dave

This guy is from Dudley in Birmingham. As i mentioned before he sold an ls400 to a friend of mine saying it wants for nothing and its mint etc. It turned out it needed front wheel bearings. So i wouldnt trust him

Is this two topics in one? Re the OPs question, go get the LPG done and worry about the bushes in a few years when they need replacing.

My MKIII had play in the rear upper wishbone bush for two years and a trip to Prague. No problems really. You will probably need a new control arm though as bushes seem virtually impossible to find. Of course you may find someone breaking an old LS who can supply a control arm.

go get the LPG done and worry about the bushes in a few years when they need replacing.

My MKIII had play in the rear upper wishbone bush for two years and a

trip to Prague. No problems really. You will probably need a new control

arm though as bushes seem virtually impossible to find.

Hi Will, that confirms what I was thinking to do. I saw my mechanic yesterday & he said the same, unless its vibrating or something bad dont worry about getting them done yet. I knew what ball joints & when I hit the kerb avoiding the squirrel NY day 2012 I waited till MOT to see if anything was wrong, they just put 'slight play', as I knew what ball joints were I left it& all I got this year was 'slight play' again.

Now I know bushes fall into this type of 'problem' & with your post as well I am going to go ahead with Profess & get the LPG done

Probleam was Lexus made me think there was some kind of major problem with the suspension so I panicked. Before this I thought bushes were the places where drunks do a toilet when they get thrown out of the pub, no wonder Lexus dont sell 'em.

Dave, don't panic !!!!

What's the mileage and is this the first year you have had this specific

Advisory with the MOT ?

Its 140k, no not this ‘bush’ advisory just one for “slight play in

front ball joint” but I know what happened with the ball joint, I hit quite

high kerb hard (ripped the tyre) avoiding a squirrel but this bush thing I have

never had.

I think it was the way Lexus came across telling me I had to get lower

suspension arms, I don’t even know what bushes are or what they do, but all of

a sudden I was confronted with ‘lower suspension arms’ were needed, of course,

me being illiterate on these things I simply thought ‘”a suspension problem”

& do know that’s not to be taken lightly….…so I thought ‘what next’,

because I am illiterate on these things.

But its coming through on here that the thing as a whole is not a huge

problem that needs urgent attention. Its all made worse ‘cause I had Profess

booked for last Wed, both tax & new insurance are due end of month so decisions

have to be made as accurate as possible, including the breakers potential &

all the hassle of buying another, which in reality might have the exact same

problem or no problems at all for this next 10 years.

Anyway the replies are giving me clearer, in context, picture so I am non to

worried at the moment ‘cept about the LPG conversion.

Thanks for all replies & thanks for fedback on that LS seller or maybe dealer, I agree prices are going up & noticed there are more being sold by dealers than there used to be, seems to indicate some kind of organised system.

An advisory is exactly what it says, an advisory, meaning you are being advised that a part or area is showing signs of damage, wear, etc that is not yet an mot failure, but given time that part or area may turn to a mot failure.

It is not compulsory to sort out an advisory immediately. Do this when you feel the need to.

A failure of any sort is the only thing that is compulsory to sort out before the car will be issued a new mot.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links