Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

I Need A Little Convincing

Hi all, I am looking to buy a new car in the next couple of weeks as I am fed up with my diesel Mondeo that has sucked nearly £5000 out of me in 4 years so I looking for something reliable. With a budget of around £6000 I had my heart set on a Nissan Murano until a dealer advertising one also had an RX for sale, I could not believe I could get one for my budget, too good to be true or just too expensive to run so dirt cheap?

I am trying to convince myself that I can afford to run one (can't afford to run my Mondeo) so I guess I am asking the usual questions

1) is the RX as reliable as they say, some US forums have scared me a bit with one accountant saying he can't afford to run one and another. did not think that $17,000 of repairs in 10 years was too bad!

2) the Lexus service plan @£25 per month looks great but do they tend to find other things wrong with the car to get more money like QuickTime do (50% worn brake pads do not need replacing)

3) I need to tow a caravan, are they ok for this?

4) Does the cam belt need changing at 100,000 miles or 10 years? I am looking at a 2003/4 with around 70,000, if it needs doing what is it likely to cost?

5) Anything else I should look for, budget for or be aware of.

Sorry to waffle on and thanks for any help you can give me.

1 - very reliable, but you will always find exceptions to the rule. I owned a series I RX for a number of years and that probably cost me £300 over that time on a couple of oxygen sensors and a sidelight bulb - that is above standard servicing costs and 4 tyres. My 400h, which I've had for about 4 years now, has cost £0.

2 - this is somewhat dealer dependant but I've not experienced this. If a dealer finds something wrong then they would inform you before the work is carried out and you can choose to go ahead or not.

3 - yes, although I don't have personal experience of this.

4 - 100k miles or 10 years whichever comes first. For essentials servicing (5 year old + at a Lexus dealer) the published price is £275 but that is without tensioner or idler pulley which are probably worth getting done at the same time. Ask for a price up front but I would expect around £350 to £400. Worth getting a quote from a couple of dealers if you have more than one within range.

5 - you need to consider fuel costs. An RX is certainly going to use more fuel that your diesel Mondeo. Also remember that an RX is a £40k+ vehicle and parts, outside of servicing items, are priced accordingly.

If you are looking at 10 year old vehicles then an original 12v Battery may not last too much longer. O2 sensors could start to fail. If you can, check the transmission fluid by pulling the dipstick - it should be a nice bright red colour.

Also remember that an RX is a £40k+ vehicle and parts, outside of servicing items, are priced accordingly.

That is a key point which people tend not to think of when buying older examples: the capital cost is affordable, maintenance can be more of a challenge. That said these cars are extremely reliable.

Thanks for the advice, think I really need to test drive one before I look into it any further. I know fuel is going to about twice what I am paying now but I could be saving on the £1000+ repair bills roach year if I end up with something more reliable.

It a tough choice.

With a budget of around £6000 I had my heart set on a Nissan Murano until a dealer advertising one also had an RX for sale, I could not believe I could get one for my budget, too good to be true or just too expensive to run so dirt cheap?

At the risk of being unpopular, I'd have a serious look at the Nissan Murano at that price. The Murano is just as reliable as the RX, if not more so, and its engine (part of the Nissan VQ family) was on the list of Ward's 10 Best Engines for over 10 years running. It also uses a timing chain, which requires less maintenance than a timing belt.

Have a test drive of both and it'll be interesting to hear what you think :)

Happy shopping!

• Like 2

Cheers Ganseh, that's very interesting about the engine I have found a dealer with both, although the Murano is is no good as post 06 so is £480 to tax. I love the look of the inside of the RX but, controversially, I think the looks of the Murano is a bit better. The one big niggle I have with the Nissan is the CVT gearbox.

Will keep you posted although the wife thinks I should keep the Mondeo!! She says that I have fixed so much on it that nothing else could go wrong, I thought that after a £1300 bill for clutch and flywheel and again after a turbo and rear suspension (£2000 whilst on holiday)

Also remember that an RX is a £40k+ vehicle and parts, outside of servicing items, are priced accordingly.

That is a key point which people tend not to think of when buying older examples: the capital cost is affordable, maintenance can be more of a challenge. That said these cars are extremely reliable.

I don't know how true that is - my old shape 'budget' Hyundai Santa Fe was due it's cambelt change and the dealer wanted £500. The Lexus dealer wanted £480 for the same job on an RX400h I was looking at.

Tyres are all the same, brake pads and discs pretty standard etc, etc. OK, model-specific stuff will be different but, as stated, Lexus (Toyota) are very reliable.

I faced the same decision you are currently facing a year ago.

I was running a Renault scenic that kept breaking down, was costing me the earth to run, and got fed up dealing with unhelpful dealers.

I decided to spend my money on an RX based on its documented reliability and the reputation of the Lexus dealers. Interestingly, the Murano was also on my list, but I ruled it out because of fuel consumption and expensive road tax.

I went for a RX400h and have not looked back. My local dealer is great and always willing to help, the car has proven to be ultra reliable and I have found that running costs are - unbelievably - on par with my old Scenic 1.6!

I would suggest that you get the best car you can afford and that you buy it from a dealer for the extra peace of mind. Some recommend to stay away from cars with air suspension (SE-L models RX300/350, the hybrid does not have air suspension).If you follow Colin's comments above (I always do!), you can't go wrong.

You do not specify whether you are looking for a RX300/350 or a RX400h. Fuel costs and road tax will be much lower in the hybrid, but note that it only comes with CVT gearbox. The 300/350 come with a conventional auto.

Good luck. Keep us posted.

Cheers DanD, I have only seen RX300' s in my price range as I really want something with less than 80,000 miles on it, interesting that you found it on par with the scenic for running costs.

I like the ones with the light interior and rear view camera but have seen on advertised with black leather and no satanic/camera for £800 less than I was looking at for same mileage and year. Choosing a new car is never easy.

I must admit one thing against the Murano is the fact I can't find a decent UK forum which I have found useful on other cars and bikes I have had.

I have an RX 300 on a 53 plate. It has just gone past 60k with FSH from Lexus Croydon. It is the S EL with air suspension. I have had it for nearly 2 yrs and the wife uses it for the very short 1 mile each way school run plus other local running. The best mpg I have had has been 23mpg. During the winter when we dont do coastal journeys it has been 15mpg. Whatever car she has it would only get filled up with fuel once a month, so in that sense Im not bothered too much about that. I had a knocking noise on the front which needed a front suspension leg replacing at £830 (for one). Then I had a brake fluid pipe perish at a replacement cost of £130. I have just had the timing belt replaced and new plugs = £490 as I plan to run the car for a couple of years.

I had all this work done at a none lexus garage, where I bought it from. Based on what Lexus quoted, and what I ended up paying I have maybe saved £150 overall. When changing the timing, belt the garage mechanic cut a breather pipe causing loss of power and engine warning lights... I have realised that I might save £30 on a particular job, but maybe next time I will use lexus. I might let them do the 60k service later in the year.

Good car. Amazingly smooth especially on motorways. Poor on fuel. In the back of my mind I am always dreading the next big expense, but fingers crossed it will now run pain free for a good while... Ive just had a tow bar fitted for the purpose of using a rear mounted bike carrier.

Thanks JBP, not the sort of thing I would normally check. I have seen a few comments about the 12v batteries, do they need something other than a 12v or is this a hybrid issue? I will be looking at a 03-05 RX300 if that makes any difference.

I have been leaning towards a Nissan over the passed couple of days as, knowing my luck, I will end up with the most unreliable Lexus in the country and won't be able to afford to fix it as keep hearing that Lexus parts are very expensive (I know it's a £40,000 car) but then I saw a silver one on the road today and I changed my mind again!

just the normal 12v Battery. If the vehicle is 8 to 10 years old then an original may not last that much longer although it's only going to cost you £60 to change.

On the hybrids the 12v Battery is quite small and so can go flat it you leave the vehicle for a couple of weeks if the Battery is a few years old and has lost some capacity. Not a problem for the RX300/350 non-hybrids.

Right I have narrowed it down to 2 RX300 and one, safe bet, Murano and will looking to test drive in the middle of the week. Sorry to be a pain but a couple more questions. Would it be preferable to go for a 2003 with 70,000 and a cam belt change or a 2005, same mileage but will need the belt doing in 2 years? I think what I am saying is, should I be looking at service history ahead of age considering my budget. Will the Lexus £25 pcm service plan include a belt change if it is due or would it be an extra charge. Should I steer clear of an SE-L given that it would be 10 years old and a bit more complicated. Something slightly different. If I buy a private plate from DVLA how long is it before I can fit it. Thanks once again guys.

personally I would go with the 2005 choice but it would depend if you want to avoid the expense of a cam belt change in the future. Lexus will do a cambelt change under their essentials servicing (cheaper servicing for 5+ year old vehicles) for £275.

The service plan at £25 pcm will not include things like cambelts or spark plugs - only the regular service items.

Thanks again, going to have a look Wednesday/Thursday, the 05 has has only done 70,000 miles but does not have sat nav which I can do without but did rather fancy a reversing camera, guess it true what they say about beggars.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links