Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Anyone Owned A Bentley Turbo R?

Living close to Crewe and the Bentley works, it has been a long time dream to own one of their fine vehicles. Unfortunately, most are well out of my price range. However, a Bentlye Turbo R is for sale in our next door town. It's on eBay with the auction finishing today. I won't be bidding but if it doesn't sell I am tempted to take a look tomorrow. Anyone had any experience with these and how do we think they would compare to the LS400?

Deep pockets needed, you often see them on the back of breakdown trucks :whistling: also when my brother had one the tyres cost a fortune and just don't last any mileage at all .......... the sheer weight of the beast wears them down sooooo quickly.

Hydraulic pipes are also a huge cost when they fail ( we had a nightmare with one in the garage I owned years ago ) ...... just everything costs a fortune by comparison to a LS400

Go there at your peril !!!

Malc

Although I have never owned a Bentley Turbo I think I can give some input here as I currently own a 1924 3-Litre Bentley, as well as a 1956 S1 Bentley Contiental Fastback. I also know a lot of Turbo Bentley owners as I have been a member of the BDC for 36 years.

I agree with Malc. Unless you have very deep pockets please STAY AWAY. These cars are relatively cheap to buy but when something goes wrong they are extremely expensive to repair and maintain, never mind the cost of just filling up with petrol! Turbo Rs do have a lot of presence and inflate one's ego but I can say categorically that they are not as nice or as refined as an LS 400. If you must buy a Turbo R then buy one with a very low mileage and impeccable service history and then use it very gingerly. If you want to have fun as well as financial tranquillity stay with your lovely LS 400!

a permanent drain on your resources, constant worry of breaking down, many trips inside the cab of a breakdown wagon, many many visits to the repairer and many more visits to the petrol station ,,,,,,,,, the list is probably endless :zorro:

Malc

Although I have never owned a Bentley Turbo I think I can give some input here as I currently own a 1924 3-Litre Bentley, as well as a 1956 S1 Bentley Contiental Fastback. I also know a lot of Turbo Bentley owners as I have been a member of the BDC for 36 years.

I agree with Malc. Unless you have very deep pockets please STAY AWAY. These cars are relatively cheap to buy but when something goes wrong they are extremely expensive to repair and maintain, never mind the cost of just filling up with petrol! Turbo Rs do have a lot of presence and inflate one's ego but I can say categorically that they are not as nice or as refined as an LS 400. If you must buy a Turbo R then buy one with a very low mileage and impeccable service history and then use it very gingerly. If you want to have fun as well as financial tranquillity stay with your lovely LS 400!

Cor I've just found my new best friend. Mike

Well, not a patch on the LS in my view. Higher driving position, but not as comfortable or as powerful. Will chat with my mechanic on Friday but don't think I will taking that idea any further.

would it be possible to see a pic of the 1924 bentley please?

Sorry Ian, I simply cannot attach the photo you want. I click on the IMAGE icon and get nowhere! If you PM me your email address I'll send you the pic and then YOU might post it in here for me. This makes me feel rather useless!

you have had all the advice not to get one,mostly from older sensible people i suspect, who have prob bought some very silly unsuitable cars in their past mine include ferrari 330 basket case when bought,mercury cougar, oldsmobile toronado, land rover 101,spring to mind, and many more,but sometimes you have to follow that dream, even if you lose a bit of money.

no good when you get older and look back and think, i wish id done that

• Like 2

I researched this a while ago and came to the conclusion that as the Bentley was so thirsty, I could save the cost of its actual purchase by running my LS 400 for another 3 years. I would have been using it as a daily driver.

...That's not to mention the running costs other than fuel.

Hi jpj

Before this thread dies out I feel it is my duty to say some words to put matters in perspective. I still stand by my earlier remarks. However, it is important to point out that a Bentley Turbo R and a Lexus LS 400 appeal to enthusiasts like us from entirely different angles. Let me explain: I think anyone of us would be hard pressed to pay more than GBP 3,000 for a mint LS 400. At this price such a car would be a dream to own and to behold. A Bentley Turbo R at that price would be a wreck suitable only for spares. So, my remarks relating to the LS 400 take into account the fact that it is impossible to own a Turbo R for the same amount of money. However, having said that, my OTT LS 400 at GBP 3,000 would eclipse a Bentley Turbo R at, say, GBP 16,000, to compare like with like.

We must keep in mind that Bentleys, in the days of yore, were made in very small numbers. They are, therefore, very exclusive. This is a marque theat goes back to 1919 and won Le Mans five times in the 20s and early 30s. A price has to be paid for this exclusivity and pedigree. Having said all the foregoing I still stand by my remarks that an LS400 is nicer an more refined than a Bentley Turbo R and far cheaper to acquire and run to boot. So, to sum up, those of us who own LS 400 have a lot to be happy about and little to envy in this case. I speak from my own experience because I am utterly hooked on the LS 400 and am on the verge of taking leave of my senses and buying an LS 400 Mk 4.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links