Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

2000 V Reg Ls 400 48,000 But Alot Of Money

Reality as to set in for those that want one of these Mark IVs in this condition ,they are very rare and are getting rarer thats why this seller is asking that price.Mine was originally 4500 but I knocked that down to 3750 and in my view after my experience this car is probably going to fetch 3500 it is not in the same mileage bracket that mine was at 18k but as we all know 48k is not run in on the Ls400 and the condition of this example is as good as it gets for that mileage.

Keep in mind that at £62k new the price is 5% of its original cost but it is still 100% the original car.

• Like 2

Common Lexus purchase advice: ignore mileage, condition is everything. Except here, where it seems to be... unless you come across one with low miles.

So, mileage is important when it's low, but as those cars are rare, one might as well concentrate on condition.

I couldn't agree more,with everything you've said about these wonderful cars,I'm going to get slated now,for this fatalistic comment,my LS400, ('98),I bought for £1000, about a year ago, I reinsured it recently,I'm informed by the different insurers,that it's Market value is around £780, if somebody hits me,whatever,they will more than likely write it off,I'm going to lose my car:- that's why I'd be reticent to shell-out a lot of money to buy any LS400, much as I love them,as we all do, I might add,for the benefit of any certain LOC members on here,who may want a stand-up online fight about what I've just written,( given some recent spats) my answer is don't bother,I won't rise to the bait, ( too old,can't be arsed,life too short.....)

• Like 3

I think someone on this forum brought up the subject of a collision leading to economic write off last year and stated; If someone hits you and you provided no contributing factors to the accident you can insist your car is brought back to the state it was in before the accident regardless of what it costs their insurance company .Seems fair to me as most of these insurance companies work with each other to keep their costs down thats why they implement the knock for knock scenario so often,they don't lose, we do.

Amberamiane ur absolutely correct BUT ............. when 2.5 years ago my late Mk2 was a write off from vandalism i had big rows with the insurers on those lines. They eventually upped their offer from £800 to £2000 which i accepted ....... a 94 Mk2 with 42k miles ( i think ) then

Offered them the option of replacing like with like and they told me to go forth and multiply !!!

Malc

I think someone on this forum brought up the subject of a collision leading to economic write off last year and stated; If someone hits you and you provided no contributing factors to the accident you can insist your car is brought back to the state it was in before the accident regardless of what it costs their insurance company .Seems fair to me as most of these insurance companies work with each other to keep their costs down thats why they implement the knock for knock scenario so often,they don't lose, we do.

I was about to write exactly the same regarding bringing your car back to original condition. I checked it out at the time and this is not a load of old coblers but true. Lets face it thats what your insurance is for. You have got to be prepared to fight and fight hard. They dont like customers knowing the rules.

Regarding insurance companies keeping costs down, some years ago a 16 ton truck pulled out from a side turning and wrote my Jeep off. As I had like for like insurance car hire the nearest they could get for me was an Alfa Romeo, I know nothing like like for like (crikey all those likes) it also had a diesel engine so it sounded like a tractor.

I found out the cost of that car hire for 9 weeks was over £10,000 yes £10K+ all they wanted to pay me for my Jeep with LPG was originaly £1400 I eventualy got them up to £2500 and all the time they were arguing with me as to how much my car was worth they were happy to pay a car hire co in excess of a £1000 a week.

Alfa Romeo? you can keep them.

Hi Malc

I think there is a slight difference in what I beleave to be the case I stated and your scenario. I understand from what you are saying that you were arguing with your insurance company over the costs as they were covering your car.The situation in proven negligence by the other party is that their insurance company does not have the bargaining power your insurance company has, they are have full responsibility for your damage and to that end your policy conditions regarding excess and other discounts do not apply in negotiations.

They may try to get your insurace company to lower its horizons on the claim (as part of the old pals act ) but they must be made to pay because if the situation were reversed they would make you pay.

• Like 1

These cars wear their mileage incredibly well, so I personally wouldn't pay such a premium for a 48k over, say, a 100k car.

I reckon you'd be hard pushed to tell the difference, assuming both cars had been well maintained of course.

That e-bay LS looks in fantastic condition, in probably one of the best colours for these cars. The fact is that exceptional LS's do now seem to attract premium prices, especially Mk4's. The vendor knows this, hence the high asking price. Discerning buyers know just how good these cars are too. I guarantee someone will be prepared to pay over the odds for that car.

Apparently it's sold to someone in Bristol

We've got a mention on the listing now.

Now who was it who sold his series IV a while ago,lives in Bristol and has been regretting it since?

A short while ago,my insurance came up for renewal, without going into all the palaver of the hoops I had to jump through question-wise,with different insurers,( and yes,I was using that irritating Meercat site as well as others) I got to the stage,I was getting nowhere,getting stupid quotes,etc,it got to the point, where I was thoroughly brassed -off with it all,to the point,where I seriously thought about taking the LS off the road,and eventually selling it,but,thankfully,sanity prevailed,and I manage to get a Lexus Counselling Course on the NHS, -a couple of weeks later,and I'm cured now,the Old Girls back on the road,and I'm driving around in it,wearing a mad grin?....ain't life grand!.....

• Like 1

Guys I used to work for Axa Insurance, you guys keep using these compare.com and meerkat etc get ripped as there is a middleman making a huge amount of money from it, what you need to do is go to the insurers directly and should get it over half price cheaper than the quote you get on them rip off websites

I have done this earlier this year.

1st I used a couple of compare sites and there was only a couple of difference in the lowest quotes. Around £200 Full Comp

2nd I approached two companies direct and they were nearly double.

So I don't want to shoot you out of the water but it isn't my experience of comparison sites.

• Like 1

Ditto Bluesman-that's how I ended-up getting the quote I did,using these site,and,I might add,lying through my bloody teeth,about the quotes I'd had before, -I soon got it down to what I'd term a sensible price,their a bunch of bottom-feeding eejits, insurance companies,but I accept,a necessary evil,unfortunately,but I won't play their con -game.

The trick is not to tell them the quote you got on the comparison sites

I didnt. I have many years of negotiating deals behind me so never show my hand, ever.

Ditto Bluesman-that's how I ended-up getting the quote I did,using these site,and,I might add,lying through my bloody teeth,about the quotes I'd had before, -I soon got it down to what I'd term a sensible price,their a bunch of bottom-feeding eejits, insurance companies,but I accept,a necessary evil,unfortunately,but I won't play their con -game.

No need to lie I just refuse to tell them.

I have alway said that if you require something by law then the government should supply it the same as Road Tax and the MOT.

I have alway said that if you require something by law then the government should supply it the same as Road Tax and the MOT.

In Japan they do just that, for their Shaken (MOT) you have the car tested,pay your tax and also the insurance altogether.

Your correct you CAN demand that the insurer return you to your previous situation. That may mean repairing the car regardless of cost OR demanding that they replace the car with like for like. Unfortunately not many consumers realize this fact & insurers rely on their ignorance of this

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links