Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Would You Risk Everything

Fidgits

If you had a great idea, but had to put a very good job on the line, would you?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. If you had a great idea, but had to put a very good job on the line, would you?

• Yes
    • No

I too left a very good job to start my business. Best thing I ever did.

Situation not too dissimilar to the one you're in I think. I took my ideas to upper management. They seemed great about the idea but didn't really want to get too involved. They kept avoiding the issue, etc., eventually not wanting to talk about it at all. I then started noticing they weren't as friendly, more work was passed my way, I got all the sh**ty jobs. I knew then that I had to make the move.

I've never looked back. So much so, I even sub-contract my old MD. (And I treat him like crap).

So..... even if they don't go with it, you can still make it. My plans were to start big, but obviously didn't have the capital at the time so I just started smaller, by myself.

I won't employ anybody. I just sub-contract. Barrie - don't know how you can!! I either don't trust them to do a good enough job or don't have confidence in their knowledge. I've tried a few times and been let down - I then feel bad for letting them go.

If you think it is a good idea then go for it. Think long and hard as there may be no turning back though. If you don't act on it, you mayl always wonder what you've possibly missed.

Whatever you decide, good luck.

Just to diversify - Sorry this topic moves back to this - maybe we should start another one on it. I too took an invention to ITE. I took the Ferry from Liverpool and went to see them. What a load of bull. The building was just full of people filling envelopes. The guy I'd arranged to meet had slept in - this was 11:30am. He wasn't that bothered, couldn't answer my questions and didn't like the idea of being asked too much. I asked to use the loo and took a wrong turning when I came out (as you do). Half the rooms upstairs were completely empty. I just walked out.

if u dnt try wou will never know if you could of succeded wit your idea

if you dnt gamble you cant win but at the same time if you are prepared to gamble be prepared for a loss.

listen to what your heart says if you really think yourself the idea you have is a possible success then go for it. i think as long as you have support from your family you will get through it no matter how things turn out!!!!!!!!!!

jus my opinion

mitch

I think that Lexus owners are the "go it alone" type more often than not,. we are by deffinition, prepared to buck the trend. I like that. Fidge. GO for it.. I f you have missgivings about your future should the plan fail I suggest you read "The Prince" by Niccolo Makiavelli (spell check that) ANd then go for it.

I know I need my own business, First I need more motivation.

Bazza,

I knew there was something special about you when I met you. You have the magic eye. I really respect what you've done and I would love to hear the story sometime. :zee:

Thanks for all the advice guys...

I have submitted my buisness plan to the executive staff.. I will see where it goes from there..

And if/when things get going.. I'll let you know what the plan is... :D

Er, yes and no in my case.

I don't have the confidence to go it alone in what I do. The knowledge that my wages pay the mortgage, bills, cars etc makes me more nervous.

Simon however is pee'd off in his job, (there's not much opportunity to use your noggin) and he'd be brilliant if he had his own business. We're looking into a couple of ideas including buying a 2nd hand Rolls and doing weddings/events or buying into a franchise.

Start small and build up!

How's that for a convuluted answer...well, you didn't expect me just to say yes or no did you?!

Good luck Ian, difficult decision to make!

Ian - it's a gamble. Bottom line is you need to be prepared for a failure. If you can handle the fact that this may not work, and cope with it then you should do it. Some people have no fear, and jump into things feet first without thinking of the concequences. Others make calculated decisions - and some bury their heads in the sand and opt to take the safe route out. If there is one thing I have learned in my short life is to take the chance while you can so long as I can take the rough with the smooth. Life's too short mate....... ;)

Always been too "play-safe" myself - demonstrated by my 22 years service with just 1 company.

Do have the greatest of respect to those who do go for it - and many friends have successfully.

Problems only seem to arise when trying to expand and hire people - you then rely on your judgement and their honesty ...

If the business plan really stacks up (even at most pessimistic projections) then go for it - I am sure your company (like most others)would not hesitate if they had to downsize :ph34r: and by then you may have missed the boat.

Assume you have a confidentiality agreement in place on all those you show the plan to if you are thinking of going it alone ...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links