Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Brush On Clear Laquer

Matthew_McNally

After much procastination, my brother and I spent the afternoon painting my calipers (blue - to match the car).

I have chrome caliper stickers to put on - but could not find any clear laquer that could be brushed on.

Tried two Halfords and a B&Q - no joy.

does such a beast exist - or should I bite the bullet and get some spray on stuff (and 7 miles of masking tape)?

I didn't have any problems with using a spray, :huh:  I actually prefered it. ;)

yeah - maybe YOU didn't - but I'm having nightmares at the thought of me being let loose around my car with a can of spray on laquer!

:lol::lol::lol:

would prefer a brush on solution if exists mate - if I don't find any by next weekend though - I'll bring it round to your house mate, seeing as you are so good at it! ;) :D :lol::lol:

I didn't have any problems with using a spray, :huh:  I actually prefered it. ;)

yeah - maybe YOU didn't - but I'm having nightmares at the thought of me being let loose around my car with a can of spray on laquer!

:lol::lol::lol:

would prefer a brush on solution if exists mate - if I don't find any by next weekend though - I'll bring it round to your house mate, seeing as you are so good at it! ;) :D :lol::lol:

Bring it over Matt, I'll laquer it for you :lol:

I have seen some that you brush on but can't remember where. :huh: If I see any this week I'll let you know. Try a builders merchant type shop or a small diy store.

Bring it over Matt, I'll laquer it for you :lol:

and have you leave it in reverse on me again?

:lol::lol:

I have seen some that you brush on but can't remember where. :huh:  If I see any this week I'll let you know. Try a builders merchant type shop or a small diy store.

thats a good idea mate - there is a shop that fits that bill just around the corner (and its closer than the Halfords and B&Q I tried).

will give them a visit on Saturday

I found a small pot of clear brush on lacquer at Homebase. It was next all the multicoloured spray cans in the 'craft' section. I was a little worried that I needed some high-temp resistent lacquer, but several months later it's still as good as new.

Nige

Just about to put my chrome stickers onto "smooth hammerited" calipers - big question is what laquer - got some bog std big H spray but it doesn't mention heat resistent - is this likely to be a problem ? :question:

I finished my calipers this weekend gone.

Black foliatec kit, Halfords spray on laquer and chrome stickers.

To mask the car appropriately while spraying on the laquer, I wedged a plastic bag underneath the caliper, one on top of it, and about 3 around the arch.. overlapping to the outside surface of the car.

Used masking tape to cover up the metal parts of the caliper.

The whole lot was a doddle, and I am a complete newbie to the car scene.

Spray on laquer is fine just try it and see. I am ultra careful about my car.

I do not recommend foliatec though, they provide you with a can of cleaning spray, a can of hardner and a can of paint. You mix the hardner with the paint and apply the mixture to the calipers. Only problem is unless you constantly mix it throughout doing all 4 calipers, the mix will go nasty and hard. I did 2 calipers a day, had to measure out the right amounts which is a little tricky. You can use white spirit instead of the cleaning spray. They're not cheap either. Stick with Hammerite smooth.

I love my calipers now though :yahoo::yahoo: :zee:

Thanks Steve!

• 3 months later...
How did you get on with laquering your calipers Matt? :huh:

I got a tin of clear laquer at a local DIY store mate - RiteWay.

just finished doing them, when our nephew ran out the house and kicked the pot over - can still see it on the road! :blush:

luckily I had finished - and this did provide a simple answer to the "what the :tsktsk: am I going to do with the rest of this stuff" dilemma :lol:

Spray on is fine Matt. Give it a go. I was like you, then found an old shirt and hey presto! Its only to give the stickers a quick coat, nothing major.

Hang and tape an old shirt by wheel arch etc too, as well as stuffing one up by the disc etc. Well easy.

I have to pick off my old grey/silver ones and stick the chrome ones on yet - now that I am not looking forward to!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links