Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

the car mot due ,had to take it in today for test.the good news the old motor passed,had an advisory about chip in windscreen but not in zone A,and whilst the parking brake passed the tests there's no reserve on it,i will get these attended to ,but all ok for another year of lexus motoring,always a relief to get it done

I had advisory on handbrake last year, and my mechanic now tells tells me that if the thing fails next time around it could major job due to issues with corrosion. I did not quite understand all his comments at the time, so when I go see next time I will get to the bottom of what is what.

But it seems as if when they start pulling the hand brake bits out, who knows what will need replacing, I recall it could be as much has £300+ to sot it out.

as to crack in screen, my Mk2 had one just up by the rear view mirror stub, and to my mind must have been near a failure, but never got picked up in four years on owning it.

To be honest i don't really use the parking brake much,i know its wrong but i never seem to, on autos,ive been using it before mot,and its got a bit better,they are a bit awkward to use i think , an inspection will be in order soon as its warmer

mine runs out in 4 weeks time so will be taking it in sometime next week - last year it had advisories on rear pads and front ball joints - all been replaced with genuine parts - hopefully will sail through without any advisories

I had a verbal advisiory on my parking brake efficiency the year before last, it passed but like Bigjaps was at the effeciency limit ( think it was 16%).

The parking brake seems to receive little attention compared with the disc brake side of things but never the less needs servicing.

I removed the combined disc/drum assemblies and cleaned out all the accumulated dust from them, cleaned down all the backplates to reveal the original brake shoes which still had the blue paint markings on them.

I then lubricated all the pivot points and roughened up the brake linings which still had adequate thickness.

After refitting the drums I then adjusted the brake shoes according to the service manual.

The difference was immediately apparent when I pressed the brake lever down.

This years MOT produced no mention of parking brake eficiency :)

Cost of servicing 2 hours DIY zero, cost of parts zero not a bad result after 20 years.

• Like 1

I've been caught out with the parking brake a couple of times before at MOT time, as I never use it. The chap who does my MOTs knows I don't use it and years ago (when he was able to use a bit of discretion!) used to remind me to use it or it would fail on that the next year! He knows I will never sell her so it was never an issue.

That reminds me, I must start using it (although I know I will forget!).

I think the parking brake only becomes an issue if the cable is seized or seizing up. The shoes/drum assembly is not hard to service to keep it in working order. It all comes apart and goes back beautifully with a bit of study and elbow grease. Typically Lexus engineered. Two hours tinkering on a nice summer's day! (Not recommended during February).

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links