Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

No Seperate Amplifier

Has anyone heard of an IS200 not having a seperate amp? (2002 model)

Been talking to WARP over this and he says hasn't got a seperate amplifier. He's looked but couldn't find it. When he was at the dealers he mentioned it and they laughed at him and came out to show him, but they couldn't find it either! It appears to be a standard head unit. I've asked him for the number on the front.

He's been onto the euro forums and there is a guy who claims the same from Switzerland.

Where any produced this way?

Wow! A thread about me!

Thank you geoffers for trying to help me.

My IS200 is the 2002 model. I have started a thread about my search for the amplifier in the euro forum a few weeks ago (For those who can read german: Link).

In the forum they said it must be on the passengers side and my dealer said it must be on the drivers side.

I even uploaded a few pics of those places in my car where the amp is supposed to be. For those interested (keep in mind my steering wheel is on the left side): Link. I've already been told that my page was cute :blush: ) Everyone said there must be an amp and it really drove me crazy.

Boergy was the one who also has an IS with an integrated amp. Yes, I told geoffers he was from Switzerland, but I was wrong. He is from Austria. ('tschuldigung boergy :ph34r: )

You must have one of those new stealth amps on trial. You're right - it isn't there.

As you've had it's origin checked, I wonder if it was going to be an Altezza but actually came out of the factory as an IS due to shortages or something?

• 5 years later...

I find this interesting. I have a 2005 IS300 and am trying to put a Pioneer system in. I have checked for the amp behind the glove box but no amp! It appears the plugs to connect to the amp are there but no amp. I put the same Pioneer unit in my IS200 without bypassing or even looking for the amp and it worked fine. This time I am trying to figure out the amp issues as the Pioneer unit is muted if I wire it up as I did with my IS200. If I leave the mute wire out then the unit flattens the Battery.

So I cannot connect up all the wires or the unit doesn't work, or I cannot wire it up to work without flattening the Battery, but cannot locate any amp anywhere to bypass!?. So if anyone has words of wisdom on this problem please let me know.

This is a blast from the past!

It turns out they did two types of sound system - one with and one without an external amp, just hadn't got to know the car at the time.

I didn't think they did a non external amp version in the 300 though but guess they must have. If they have then you will have the speaker connections and everything else ready at the back of the unit.

Thanks for the photos. I did check behind the glove box and there's nothing like the photos. Just two plugs/connectors screwed the to the body that are facing the right direction to be pluged into what your photos show.

I'm at work now and have successfully put the Pioneer system in so can't check the unit number but will when I get home. In my IS200 I wired the Pioneer unit in, without bypassing any amp, by connecting the Pioneer unit "Mute" wire to what appeared to be the built in amp wire - it worked.

In the IS300 I tried the same and flattened my Battery. So I have now wired the Pioneer unit "Power Amp" lead into what appears to be the built in amp lead and its working. No flat Battery or sound issues. But still no amp behind the glove box. I suspect there isn't one although there must be otherwise why the built in amp wire to the Lexus head unit - which I have now wired to the Pioneer "Power Amp" lead?

In my searching on the web I did pick up blog where someone stated they can be behind the glove box, under the front passenger seat or built into the boot. I cannot find anything in the other two locations and can't find photos anywhere so do not even know if I'm looking in the right places or behind the right panels.

I can therefore only presume one of two things - 1. there isn't one and the built in amp lead does draw power if connected wrong (even if there is no amp) or 2. it is located somewhere else and I just managed to wire it up right thanks to the Pioneer unit having a "Power Amp" lead also thereby providing the same connections as the Lexus head unit?

I'll check on the Lexus head unit number and reply once I'm home, as for the car model in SA they have two models of the 200, 300 and 250 - the standard and the SE. The SE just comes with extras like sun roof, both front power seats, arm rest, better radio, etc. Otherwise they are mechanically the same as the standard models.

My IS300 stereo head unit number is 13910.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links