Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New Shape Is250 (Not Is300H)

I have been thinking or replacing my 3 year old IS250 Advance for a new shape IS250 (not the 300h) as the smooth V6 & conventional auto box are huge attractions to me. It’s a private purchase and I don’t do many miles therefore the fuel consumption, RFL & BIK and not important however it’s evident that this is not a popular choice which I’m sure will be dropped from the range and replaced with the 2.0T, not good for retained values. I looked at a pre-registered one last October and it’s still on the forecourt!!

Is the general advice to steer clear of this model unless I can bag a really good deal?

Just a thought, have you noticed GS250s, pre registered ones are really cheap, one in Lexus Canterbury with just 10 miles on the clock for 22K. Now that's a great deal if you don't want hybrid.

I have been thinking or replacing my 3 year old IS250 Advance for a new shape IS250 (not the 300h) as the smooth V6 & conventional auto box are huge attractions to me. It’s a private purchase and I don’t do many miles therefore the fuel consumption, RFL & BIK and not important however it’s evident that this is not a popular choice which I’m sure will be dropped from the range and replaced with the 2.0T, not good for retained values. I looked at a pre-registered one last October and it’s still on the forecourt!!

Is the general advice to steer clear of this model unless I can bag a really good deal?

Can I ask why you are discounting the IS300h? I'm a private owner doing about 7-10k a year and had a IS250 for 5 years before getting the IS300. Although it's not a V6 and doesn't have the conventional auto box it's a dream to drive. IMO it's smoother than the auto because it doesn't have the gear changes, silky though they are in the IS250. I never thought I'd be tempted out of a petrol engine for a hybrid but I don't regret it for a second.

The mid range acceleration is better, and I've virtually halved my petrol bill too.

I'd certainly try one out before you discard it as an option. I also tend to agree with you that it's not a popular choice and that won't help values either.

Just my opinion, YMMV.

Just a thought, have you noticed GS250s, pre registered ones are really cheap, one in Lexus Canterbury with just 10 miles on the clock for 22K. Now that's a great deal if you don't want hybrid.

really poor fuel consumption and also consider the depreciation will continue to be bad compared to an IS.

The IS250 isn't a bad choice but yes you need to consider the depreciation. Even if it isn't replaced by a 2.0T it will still not be desirable compared to the 300h and so prices will continue to drop.

Try and get a really good discount and maybe look at a finance package that gives you a guaranteed value at the end of the term - at least then you know where you stand

p.s. I've moved this thread into the IS300h forum. The forum is badly named, it is for all series III IS models.

Thank you all for the replies, having been used to the V6 I guess I am reluctant to change back to a 4 cylinder in case I'm disappointed, I did try the 300h at a launch event and was completely put off by the F sport I drove that had the synthesised engine noise played through the speakers that the Lexus guy refused to turn off!! I will take your advice and try another test drive. Interesting comment on the name of the forum (300h) I wondered why the 250 seemed to be excluded, again a sign that perhaps it has a short life.

Can I ask why you are discounting the IS300h? I'm a private owner doing about 7-10k a year and had a IS250 for 5 years before getting the IS300. Although it's not a V6 and doesn't have the conventional auto box it's a dream to drive. IMO it's smoother than the auto because it doesn't have the gear changes, silky though they are in the IS250. I never thought I'd be tempted out of a petrol engine for a hybrid but I don't regret it for a second.

The mid range acceleration is better, and I've virtually halved my petrol bill too.

I'd certainly try one out before you discard it as an option. I also tend to agree with you that it's not a popular choice and that won't help values either.

Just my opinion, YMMV.

I only do about 4000 miles a year, had 3 IS250's before the IS300h and agree with everything above. It's a fantastic car and cutting you fuel bill by half and doing your bit for the environment must be attractive and only £20 a year road tax. Resale value will be better as running costs will only go up in the coming years.

I completely agree with DJP and Richard 1200.

I'm a company car driver and stopped my A4 Quattro order for the F Sport - apart from the boot space it was the right choice and it really is quite cool in 'milk float' mode..

It really is horses for courses - especially when you consider a GS250 can be had for less than an IS250 (New shape). The GS is in the next class up and better value for money than any of the IS's £ for £. It is bigger, much more comfortable, better equipped, though thirstier and more expensive to run, but I think much better built In fact whilst the IS is closer too look and feel of the CT, the GS is definitely up there with the LS. The £000's you will save at the start will buy you a lot of fuel - especially if you are not a high mileage user. As for resale values - well you have to look at the history of it all.

So it also depends on your budget. It also depends on how long you are going to keep it. Depreciation becomes a lot less pain full if you keep it for a long time.

Hybrids don't hold their value that much better from what I can tell - people are still put off by the notion that they will be a liability as batteries get weaker (whether it happens or not is a different matter - peoples perception is based on the Battery in their mobile phones!!). The GS450h Lux was about £7k more to buy new in 2012 when I got mine. An equivalent one (compared to mine, 2 years old, 15k on the clock) retails for about £6-8k more - so at the moment it's tracking £ for £ in terms of gross depreciation. So you wouldn't have saved a fortune by any stretch of the imagination. If the Hybrids were selling for more than that gap, then yes indeed I would have been better off.

You will half your fuel bill in town with the Hybrid, but on a run I can regularly get 35-6 mpg from my GS250 driving at 70 (!) or there about. You might get 38 or more with the IS250.

I would take a day out and just drive them all back to back, see what deals are available and then decide. The IS300h is a good car - no question. You have to marvel at the Hybrid power train. However for me, as I said above, the GS just seems to have so much more metal for less money.

Think of it this way - for less than a new IS300h SE, you can have a nearly new GS250 (6-8 months old), less than 5k on the clock, Luxury spec with Blind Spot monitor, probably MLS/12 inch screen, full heated/cooled leather etc etc, and enough change to go on a holiday!

It all depends on what you want really. The V6 is smooth and makes a great noise on the F Sport. The 300h feels sterile in comparison and it feels slow despite having better in gear acceleration. The 6 Speed Auto is from the Toyota GT86 apparently, so its pretty nice too.

Carmagazine also rated the IS250 F Sport higher than the IS300h F Sport saying its more fun to drive. Very fair review in my opinion. If you are a private buyer, id say stick to the IS250. Its slightly faster and loves to rev its guts out! Definitely walk out of the showroom if they're unwilling to give you atleast a £3k discount on these models.

I calculated that with my wife's 3k a year mileage, itd take atleast 8 years to get the extra £3k from the premium of the IS300h. And discounts will be greater on the IS250 as they want to get rid of them.

Overall, there is literally no difference in residuals for the the hybrid or non hybrid versions. Look at the GS250, you can buy it for £22k. But then, you can also buy the same aged GS450h for £32k.

I have driven both the IS250 and IS300h and I would choose the iS250 F Sport every time. Its got more character. Im not really a fan of CVT's and four pot engines, I prefer V6's with a CVT like the RX450h or GS450h

• Like 1

I agree - the rev-ability factor is definitely better with the V6, and the way they've induced a real "burbling/growling" sound from the manifold is, lets face it, far better than it playing through the speakers. It sounds great when you kick down in a tunnel with the windows open....

I'm actually 12 years old underneath.

I agree - the rev-ability factor is definitely better with the V6, and the way they've induced a real "burbling/growling" sound from the manifold is, lets face it, far better than it playing through the speakers. It sounds great when you kick down in a tunnel with the windows open....

Im not saying the IS300h is a bad car, its not. But for me, the IS250 is a better bet. Id rather spend the extra money just for the V6 and its not exactly slow either. Its perfectly adequate for normal driving and if needed, is pretty good at joy riding too!

Overall, there is literally no difference in residuals for the the hybrid or non hybrid versions. Look at the GS250, you can buy it for £22k. But then, you can also buy the same aged GS450h for £32k.

The GS has always had shocking depreciation and unfortunately the series IV is following the trend. Shame really, it has great build quality compared to the IS.

The GS250 values have stabilised somewhat now. The £22k value has stayed about the same for 6+ months. Dealers were selling pre-registered vehicles at that price to try and get rid of them.

The GS450 prices are starting to fall, again because dealers cannot sell them. I've been watching a few that were for sale for a large number of weeks and the dealers then drop £3k - £5k off the price just to shift stock.

Im not saying the IS300h is a bad car, its not. But for me, the IS250 is a better bet. Id rather spend the extra money just for the V6 and its not exactly slow either. Its perfectly adequate for normal driving and if needed, is pretty good at joy riding too!

Agreed - even the Gs250 is hardly slow with the same engine. It's OK and shifts decently.

• 2 weeks later...

The IS250 is definitely more fun compares to 300h. The 300h is really boring to drive. The CVT kills it. You step the gas pedal to the metal (in sport mode) and nothing happens in the first second or two. Also the sounds. It will sounds like a motor boat when you accelerate and an old tram when you decelerate. Meh...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links