Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Well the big girl has let me down.

Last evening we were going to meet some friends for dinner, the car would not start, nothing, no power no clicking, dead as the proverbial.

To make matters worse the car was on the drive blocking our other car so had to try to get the car moved so we could get our other car out, managed it after 20 minutes and neighbours help.

This morning still nothing after sticking the Battery charger on all night, Battery was new 2 months ago anyway. Tried leads to jump start and the same result, nothing.

Battery has power, keyfob Battery is ok as opened the doors, and releases the boot, even opens and closes all the windows as it should when kept pressed for 5 seconds.

Any ideas folks ?

Already thought this and tried it.

The gear shifter seems ok, over rode it to get it off P so we could move the car from the drive then back to the garage after we moved our other car it was blocking.

Put the car back into P and you could not move the car apart from rocking it where it stood.

With the car in D i tried to remove the key, it would not let me, when the car was put in P it let me, so it must know it is in park mode to release the key.

Going over the fuses this afternoon just in case one has blown.

This has happened to me on my ls400 and it was only a very slightly lose terminal connection..... I ended up having to bend a washer and fit it between terminal and connection.... So it got a proper connection....... Try that hopefully it is that which is a small DIY job rather than a big lexus job :(

If it was a dodgy Battery connection then the windows would not work, and they work quite normally.

Immobiliser, if that was faulty would i still be able to turn on the ignition even though i get no dash lights or engine crank.

too many bloody fuseboxes, going to check the others in the morning, bit tired now.

• Like 2

Sorry to hear that. Nothing worse than the Old Girl just sitting there looking at you doing nothing! I have a problem getting the alarm to disarm if she has been locked in the fob outside in the winter! Happened to me after a wedding once. The day before everyone was admiring the car, the next working they were sniggering as they droved away in their rubbish cars I was jumping up and down mad as I could not get in! All was forgiven when I did get in though!

Sorry I can’t help you with this. The times that I have had nothing at all from the ignition has been a totally flat Battery after I have not used her for weeks but that is obviously not the case with you.

Good luck. There are a lot of fuses to check!

Ok update, all fixed and she works normally again.

Now the bad bit, the cause........Don't bloody know what it was.

What I did was to seperately remove each fuse from the multiple fuse boxes in the engine bay and test them on my multimeter, each was in good working order, so i replaced them. This took quite some time as you can imagine.

Whilst scratching my head thinking that avenue of hunting was closed I put the key in the ignition and lo and behold the steering wheel moved to greet me, so I thought try the ignition, and she roared into life. Switched off, let stand for 10 mins and tried again, started first time, went for a short test drive, nothing appears to be in error, drives ok, stops and starts ok.

Conclusion is it must have been a loose fuse or debris causing an iffy contact.

What I did was to seperately remove each fuse from the multiple fuse boxes in the engine bay and test them on my multimeter, each was in good working order, so i replaced them. This took quite some time as you can imagine.

Whilst scratching my head thinking that avenue of hunting was closed I put the key in the ignition and lo and behold the steering wheel moved to greet me, so I thought try the ignition, and she roared into life. Switched off, let stand for 10 mins and tried again, started first time, went for a short test drive, nothing appears to be in error, drives ok, stops and starts ok.

Hooray the sun is shining and Chris is back to happy smiley driving. Well done. Mike.

Maybe it's because we seldom open the bonnet, dust and cobwebs gather and do this to remind us to open the bonnet from time to time.

Hi Chris.

I don't know if you've already seen this in the owners manual, but if you leave the physical metal key ring fob leaning onto either side (narrow sides) of the plastic key casing when starting or driving the car, it either won't start or will cut out shortly after starting. Also, if you have another key with a transponder on your keyring it can do the same thing as well.

Worth a shot? Hope that helps.

Chris.

Had to have a very nice man from The RAC as Lexie was feeling a little flat having not driven her for around a week.

I am convinced its the phone which is left in there fixed in the cradle 24/7 so from now on I will take the phone out of its cradle.

Nothing wrong with Battery RAC tested. Mike

Hi Chris.

I don't know if you've already seen this in the owners manual, but if you leave the physical metal key ring fob leaning onto either side (narrow sides) of the plastic key casing when starting or driving the car, it either won't start or will cut out shortly after starting. Also, if you have another key with a transponder on your keyring it can do the same thing as well.

Worth a shot? Hope that helps.

Chris.

No other fob with a transponder anywhere near, and the metal key is well protected.

I have resigned to the fact it must be a bad contact due to a bit of muck. Unless it happens again then Billy the 4lb quick adjustment tool will be in use.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links