Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Is My Caliper Sticking?

Allan, your correct it's the solid disc.

Some do have the vented ones which I believe is bigger in size too.

Will be placing the order tomorrow morning, Lexus Edingburugh have good prices delivered, also they do the caliper slider lube for £15.

Sheffield Lexus is best prices for calipers.

All available on eBay.

Newbie..my car has the solid rear disc so I have placed an order for that. I know there is two types of disc and each has a different caliper too.

Thanks

Hi Everyone....

If you need calipers then Lexus Edingburugh are the best price at only £70. You will find they have a eBay store as well.

They do Slider Pins for £12 each (you will need 2)

Anyone know where I can buy those flimsy anti squeal pins that go in between the caliper and brake pads on the rear.

Mine have been botched by previous owner or mechanic!!!!!

Hi everyone, thank you for all your help!! I changed my first ever disc and pads!!!!

It took me about two hours but next time it should take me about 1.5 hours.

This video is good I found; https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LG3H19LD5O0

I have greased all the pins as advised so fingers crossed.

I put the disc on straight as it came from lexus..is that correct or should I have wiped it with any chemicals? (A friend told me they have a coating) anyways too late now.

Also does anyone know where to buy the brake shims from as I have one missing...and where to buy those flimsy clips.

Thanks you Newbie, Allan and all!!!

Feels great to do the jobs myself and great satisfaction..unbelievable

well done Ishaq, its not as difficult as you think eh ! if you find out where to get those shims let me know cos mine were missing when i did this job ...and i'm now running without them, doesn't seem to make any difference......

Allan

• 3 weeks later...

Just thought I would share;

Took both calipers off today to re grease the slider pins as it has been a year.

One caliper was fit by Lexus Croydon and greased by them. I had re-greased the other calliper with ceratec myself.

The caliper that was fit by Lexus was sticking and the grease was bone dry. It was difficult to remove what was left of the grease. I did not take the pads out. Just removed the top bolt and moved the caliper to a side to inspect. I used ceratec in moderation so that i could slide the caliper back on without having to recess the piston. Using excessive grease creates a vacuum inside the rubber seal.

The caliper that had been greased with ceratec was free like it had been greased yesterday. I did remove it to regrease it but thinking about it now it probably wasn't necessary.

So yeah as i found out, the caliper may not be a bad design after all. You just need to use the right grease.

I also noticed that the new caliper had a slightly different design. The rubber seal that covers the slider pin was shorter than the other one but of much better quality. It was also 'loose' than the other one so could probably take a lot more grease than the other one.

• Like 1

That is very interesting Exdee. To hear that it could be the grease type and not the caliper design after all. Mine will be due for disc and pads change soon so will get the calipers serviced with ceratec at the same time.

I used some of the pink Lexus grease which Newbie recommended. Will see what happens in a few months.

Anyways ceratec is easy to get hold of at Eurocarparts and very good value

• 10 months later...

Hi I got a problem with my 220d. When I'm driving I can hear along like squek notice coming from the rear wheels when I'm not braking. It comes and goes and sometimes it smells from rear wheel. Any idea what it is.

Touch the rear wheels when you have driven them - it they are hot then your rear calipers have more than likely seized.

The two indications to me that would also suggest this are the squeal you hear and the smell. This would confirm to me that the calipers are seized or near to the point of.... have you aver cleaned and re-greased these?

If your alloy wheel is hot then I would not recommend driving it until repaired as you could damage parts on the hub assembly such as the bearings / disc and the tyre itself ... depends how hot it is.

I just had my car serviced by Lexus edgware road they advised me my rear calipers are not playing free as they should and likely to sieze which cost £550.01 however they have advised me if you have the extended warranty it is covered, lucky for me I took out the extended warranty back in Dec 2014 so valid until Dec 2016. They will only replace it under warranty once its siezed not earlier.

Hi thanks for all the help. Took my car to the garage and told the squeak in the rear was In fact loose brake pad which was rubbing the disc.also when I had pads changed should have had disc changed to so that was contributing to the noise. Thanks guys and girls.

• 1 month later...

hmm... loose brake pad... how can brake pad be loosely or tightly fitted?

brake pads are always in contact with the disc or there is a very little gap if brake are not used at all. Disc brakes do not have springs to bring the pads back in place...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links