Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

I can never understand why they have two people driving two cars giving just the impression on the one they drive and having no knowledge of the other to be objective. Mike

• Like 2

I have seen the video before, and this time got around the reading the somewhat idiotic commentary below from half informed nitwits.

I would say both cars are good, but I have been thinking lately maybe the way to really work out which is the best is to review the Merc forum against the Lex forum.

Which ever one discusses the car less means it is the best car.

My reasoning - if the car is reliable the forum will be about holidays in France, when is the next meet, etc etc. rather than lots of calls for help because the car is in a lay-by needing some expensive spanner recommended to fix a widget under the bonnet.

Anyone fancy doing the analysis to prove (or otherwise) which forum meets the best car criteria!!

Personally when younger I found the Merc more attractive, but as time goes by I want a reliable machine not just an attractive one (could say that about the missus!!

• Like 1

If you do it by costing to find the best car the MB which comes with an engine, 5 wheels, 4 seats, a roof and a steering wheel against the Lexus which is fully loaded then the price of the MB to match the Lexus with all the goodies would come near to the entire national debt of some third world countries and it still wouldnt beat the Lexus LS400. Mike

Never ever read the comments under youtube videos or feel appalled at the decline of the English language and decency.

You make a very valid point Pete, and as one who earlier in the year bought a Lexus and sold my S320 I can tell you that the Merc forums though extremely helpful in resolving the numerous problems of older Mercedes (and in some case younger ones) has far fewer persons waxing lyrical about their cars than here on this forum, though "Meets" are popular and most love their cars -warts an all.

Perhaps Lexus sold far fewer LS's than Merc sold S Class with various engine sizes, to the UK? Problems I encountered with my S320 over six years (190k on the clock when bought) included some things prone to most older cars, Boot lock failure(squirt oil occasionally as rare to use a key as needed by Lexus if engine running), Immobiliser issues, annoying habit of not working when you wanted to leave a Garage forecourt, Rusty brake pipes, Key fob failure internal. Radiator failure in the Transmission internal cooler section (fortunately the rusty pipe lirerally fell off external to the Rad and right outside my house on returning home one day) I repaired in the driveway and Trannie not damaged. Air con not working and likely cost of repair prohibitive if diagnosed.( Lovely to experience the Air con in the Lexus which was another reason to purchase) Rust on wings and disintegration under doors (hidden by plastic skirt - no air venting for some reason) Electrical gremlins associated with loom disintegration. Though '96 and later year Cars didn't get the problem entirely. Experimental cabling was still used for electrical in/out door mirrors. Sometimes they wouldn't unfold until maybe a dozen attempts whilst driving. Drain problems, footwell and sunroof.

I've said on here I loved the W140 and the video suggesting more room in the Lexus is false where the S Class is the LWB which has acres of room and I find the Lexus rather small internally. Not sure as to their remark on the subject. The Lexus has Superior paint bodywork as my car is 21 years old and only has blistering on one wing, astonishingly.

I love the V8 engine having had two V8 S500's before the S320.
I miss the soft closure doors but can just live with the Mirrors not retracting. The rides are similarly enjoyable though I have got bumache on a four hundred mile drive in the Lexus.
The Lexus is more economic than the S320 on petrol although I had LPG on the Merc.
Not sure I'm going to bother with LPG on the Lexus.

Still spending loads of dosh on this Lexus which I find a bit annoying with Wishbone expense to come and a list of things yet to do from Seat repair to changing spark plugs, (nightmare but seen the thread) changing hazard warning bulb and fitting new Stereo system with Aux input. ( Tape attachment not recommended in Manual). The Pioneer system in the Merc also didn't have Aux at that time.

The Lexus is a lovely car but will I keep it for six years as I did the S320? I think I'll have to after all the expense. The guy I bought the car from said it was known to be a rich mans car. I laughed at this.
Now I know what he meant, as its cost me more than I paid for it by x 1.5 and counting.

I personally wouldn't buy either a Merc or Lexus after the year 1998 because of the dreaded Suspension issues. £1000 a corner is a common expression on the Merc forum, though spare parts for Mercedes are certainly much cheaper than for Lexus.

Difficult comparison to make and although the Star gives you that feeling of "superiority", I find the uniqueness of the Lexus Marque matches that feeling.

• Like 1

Stuart - best not read the comments, as the level of English is - well not really English on you tube.

But your point on loving a flawed car is valid when I was a Vauxhall man, and having driven a Ford Cortina Mk3 and later a Sierra, swore that Ford was crap, and then one day drove a Focus and had change of heart, but then spent another 6 years driving Vauxhalls.

I do think having once driven a well put together car it is hard to go back to back to run of the mill, whether it be Merc, BMW or Lexus,

My good lady looked at Mercs about 6 months ago, and she did not like the clutter and the layout - even though the quality of interior was good, and I felt the same. This is why I love me 400, not too much dashboard tech, the right amount to give me a relaxed drive.

I have found my Mk4 easier to drive 400 miles in without back problems, so not sure if seat design changed. I do know from driving other cars that many of the modern cars with side air bags give me real problems due to the way the seat back has to be shaped, but bigger cars being a bit wider seem to mean the seat is not pressing on shoulder blades in the same way the do in a Mini or a Hyundai or Mazda.

By the way if you really want to cry go look at some of the Mazda forums on diesels, my next door neighbour had real problems, and I was amazed at how many Mazdas blow their engines. So not all Jap tech seems ot be good

• Like 1

Changing Ls400 spark plugs every 60k miles isn't really an exceptional cost of running is it !!! ...... surely

Malc

Referring to Wishbones, someone says £350 each!. Doubtful (even with service history) spark plugs have been replaced and as emissions issue, need to check. Oh for those bad old days when you could see the spark plugs and just attach a spanner!

Never ever read the comments under youtube videos or feel appalled at the decline of the English language and decency.

You make a very valid point Pete, and as one who earlier in the year bought a Lexus and sold my S320 I can tell you that the Merc forums though extremely helpful in resolving the numerous problems of older Mercedes (and in some case younger ones) has far fewer persons waxing lyrical about their cars than here on this forum, though "Meets" are popular and most love their cars -warts an all.

Perhaps Lexus sold far fewer LS's than Merc sold S Class with various engine sizes, to the UK? Problems I encountered with my S320 over six years (190k on the clock when bought) included some things prone to most older cars, Boot lock failure(squirt oil occasionally as rare to use a key as needed by Lexus if engine running), Immobiliser issues, annoying habit of not working when you wanted to leave a Garage forecourt, Rusty brake pipes, Key fob failure internal. Radiator failure in the Transmission internal cooler section (fortunately the rusty pipe lirerally fell off external to the Rad and right outside my house on returning home one day) I repaired in the driveway and Trannie not damaged. Air con not working and likely cost of repair prohibitive if diagnosed.( Lovely to experience the Air con in the Lexus which was another reason to purchase) Rust on wings and disintegration under doors (hidden by plastic skirt - no air venting for some reason) Electrical gremlins associated with loom disintegration. Though '96 and later year Cars didn't get the problem entirely. Experimental cabling was still used for electrical in/out door mirrors. Sometimes they wouldn't unfold until maybe a dozen attempts whilst driving. Drain problems, footwell and sunroof.

I've said on here I loved the W140 and the video suggesting more room in the Lexus is false where the S Class is the LWB which has acres of room and I find the Lexus rather small internally. Not sure as to their remark on the subject. The Lexus has Superior paint bodywork as my car is 21 years old and only has blistering on one wing, astonishingly.

I love the V8 engine having had two V8 S500's before the S320.

I miss the soft closure doors but can just live with the Mirrors not retracting. The rides are similarly enjoyable though I have got bumache on a four hundred mile drive in the Lexus.

The Lexus is more economic than the S320 on petrol although I had LPG on the Merc.

Not sure I'm going to bother with LPG on the Lexus.

Still spending loads of dosh on this Lexus which I find a bit annoying with Wishbone expense to come and a list of things yet to do from Seat repair to changing spark plugs, (nightmare but seen the thread) changing hazard warning bulb and fitting new Stereo system with Aux input. ( Tape attachment not recommended in Manual). The Pioneer system in the Merc also didn't have Aux at that time.

The Lexus is a lovely car but will I keep it for six years as I did the S320? I think I'll have to after all the expense. The guy I bought the car from said it was known to be a rich mans car. I laughed at this.

Now I know what he meant, as its cost me more than I paid for it by x 1.5 and counting.

I personally wouldn't buy either a Merc or Lexus after the year 1998 because of the dreaded Suspension issues. £1000 a corner is a common expression on the Merc forum, though spare parts for Mercedes are certainly much cheaper than for Lexus.

Difficult comparison to make and although the Star gives you that feeling of "superiority", I find the uniqueness of the Lexus Marque matches that feeling.

As one J Keats once implied......beauty does indeed lie in the eye of the beholder.

Comparisons are inevitable but in my view are unnecessary.

Regards

John

I always feel tests are a false, manufactured opinion. I had had lots of mercs, bmw and lexus before I bought my late, much lamented ls400, a car I considered dynamically inferior to the marques mentioned. And...this may be the case...you can argue that a bmwis more involving to drive, a jag is prettier, a Merc has more gravitas....but I don't think any of those manufacturers made a car with the blend of attributes the LS has. It's only when you LIVE with a car you appreciate its quality. To make an analogy, for roadtesters it must be like attending a a series of parties and meeting a load of strangers...and judging them on the brief time they spend with each stranger. Obviously the more charismatic, more idiosyncratic, best looking , will stand out...will be remembered....

For me, an ls400 can do everything all its competitors could do...but its blend of attributes are, and remain, unmatched. I have said this before but i don't think a car with such mechanical integrity, such impeccable manners, such tactility and such a resolved, coherent design has been available to the public before or since.....to continue my analogy, the ls400 CAN party, but it gets you home safely too....and then looks after your hangover...day in, day out....

• Like 6

• 1 month later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links