Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Is There A Doctor In The House?

Sorry, I meant to say is there an auto-electrician in the house! lol

I have a question for him/her.

Although the 300h's only have one reversing light and I think, only one rear fog light, there are two lenses for each but only one of each working. My question is therefore, is it possible to link the non-operational one/s to the one/s that do work so that we can have the more sensible setup of two of each which, in the case of the reversing light would give much better illumination, particularly for those drivers who are flexibly challenged as regards owl-like movements of the head and neck and rely totally on the wing mirrors for their reversing manouevres which become particularly difficult in poorly lit areas and, in the case of the rear fog light, having two of them eliminates the thought that you might be following a motorbike in heavy mist or fog.

One further question that I don't know the answer to is, when you are driving in daylight with your DRL's operating, is there anything on at the rear or, do you have to switch on your sidelights which automatically includes your rear lights.

Although the 300h's only have one reversing light and I think, only one rear fog light, there are two lenses for each but only one of each working. My question is therefore, is it possible to link the non-operational one/s to the one/s that do work so that we can have the more sensible setup of two of each which, in the case of the reversing light would give much better illumination, particularly for those drivers who are flexibly challenged as regards owl-like movements of the head and neck and rely totally on the wing mirrors for their reversing manouevres which become particularly difficult in poorly lit areas and, in the case of the rear fog light, having two of them eliminates the thought that you might be following a motorbike in heavy mist or fog.

One further question that I don't know the answer to is, when you are driving in daylight with your DRL's operating, is there anything on at the rear or, do you have to switch on your sidelights which automatically includes your rear lights.

I would have thought that there's no bulbs in the one that doesnt light up - Its probably just some sort of filler panel but If you did manage to get hold of it, I cant see why you wouldnt be able to wire it up.

As for driving in daylight, there is nothing on the rear - you would have to switch on your rear lights for it to light up in the back.

I would have thought that there's no bulbs in the one that doesnt light up - Its probably just some sort of filler panel but If you did manage to get hold of it, I cant see why you wouldnt be able to wire it up.

As for driving in daylight, there is nothing on the rear - you would have to switch on your rear lights for it to light up in the back.

Perhaps 'handed' for RHD and LHD markets?

"Perhaps 'handed' for RHD and LHD markets?"

My thoughts exactly, and thats why I think that it might be possible to get hold of the 'bits' (bulbs and bulb holders) and do a bit of DIY.

Not sure if it might affect the warranty situation though.

"Perhaps 'handed' for RHD and LHD markets?"

My thoughts exactly, and thats why I think that it might be possible to get hold of the 'bits' (bulbs and bulb holders) and do a bit of DIY.

Not sure if it might affect the warranty situation though.

$(KGrHqF,!okFHVsuSLBlBR3L,POviQ~~60_35.J

It can be done as shown by the above pic. Apparently the NX only has 1 reversing light too. In the NX however, the other side has a fog lamp instead of the reversing light.

My personal view is that the cut-backs are a pretty poor show really. Although the IS300h is indeed avery very nice car, the amount of cutting back done by Lexus leads to a slight feeling of disappointment. Another couple of things spring to mind too, in my previous 250SE-L I had electric memory seats for drivers and passengers, also, the pockets in the doors were levered on the 250 and could be opened up a little, not so in the 300h, they are now an up-market version of the door pockets that were in a 1960's mini.

Overall I am thrilled with my car, it is without doubt the best car that I have ever, or will ever, own. Interestingly I could have purchased 10 of my first ever home with what I have paid for it!!!

Getting back to the matter of the lights, I am wondering if the same electrical loom is used for both left-hand and right-hand drive vehicles with the light fittings only fitted as appropriate for the country being exported to. If this is the case, then all that will be needed will be bulbs and bulb holders as the lenses are already there.

I think the "bulbs" are infact LED`s. As the same aperture is used for a fog on one side and a reversing light on the other then it is not realy possible to add one to each side. I will go out and have a look to be sure though.

My IS300 does have electric seats for driver and passenger they are heated and cooled to!! The door pockets seem ok to me. Not that I have the junk like CD`s with all music on one usb stick.

Ed :whistling:

I think the "bulbs" are infact LED`s. As the same aperture is used for a fog on one side and a reversing light on the other then it is not realy possible to add one to each side. I will go out and have a look to be sure though.

My IS300 does have electric seats for driver and passenger they are heated and cooled to!! The door pockets seem ok to me. Not that I have the junk like CD`s with all music on one usb stick.

You are absolutely right Edward, I've just been out and switched my lights on and the one on the rear drivers side is in fact the rear fog light, even though it looks like a reversing light when not in use. Well spotted, I boobed there didn't I.

Yes I have electric seats on both sides but only the drivers seat is memory but yes, they are both heated and cooled too. . My 250 had memory on both sides though.

You are absolutely right Edward, I've just been out and switched my lights on and the one on the rear drivers side is in fact the rear fog light, even though it looks like a reversing light when not in use. Well spotted, I boobed there didn't I.

Yes I have electric seats on both sides but only the drivers seat is memory but yes, they are both heated and cooled too. . My 250 had memory on both sides though.

I probably could work out a way of giving two of each but not sure it is worth the effort. I would need to purchase a light cluster and modify it. I dread to think what the cost of one would be!! On my previous car used parts were available not sure there would be any for an IS300.

Ed :eerrrmm:

My personal view is that the cut-backs are a pretty poor show really. Although the IS300h is indeed avery very nice car, the amount of cutting back done by Lexus leads to a slight feeling of disappointment. Another couple of things spring to mind too, in my previous 250SE-L I had electric memory seats for drivers and passengers, also, the pockets in the doors were levered on the 250 and could be opened up a little, not so in the 300h, they are now an up-market version of the door pockets that were in a 1960's mini.

Overall I am thrilled with my car, it is without doubt the best car that I have ever, or will ever, own. Interestingly I could have purchased 10 of my first ever home with what I have paid for it!!!

Getting back to the matter of the lights, I am wondering if the same electrical loom is used for both left-hand and right-hand drive vehicles with the light fittings only fitted as appropriate for the country being exported to. If this is the case, then all that will be needed will be bulbs and bulb holders as the lenses are already there.

Pros and cons to everything I guess, not having a hinged door pocket reduces the chances of rattles.

Features seem to come and go, my older GS430 and RX400h never had memory seats for the passenger seats even though when new they were relatively much more expensive than the current IS, and certainly more than the older IS, which was available at the same time. At least with the current IS you can set memory positions against the keys, so you don't even have to press a button if you don't want to :) Still that is just a software feature so hasn't really added to the cost of the vehicle.

It does seem hard to justify the list price of the IS, especially the higher grades. Saying that all cars seem very over priced these days - I'm getting old :(

Pros and cons to everything I guess, not having a hinged door pocket reduces the chances of rattles.

Features seem to come and go, my older GS430 and RX400h never had memory seats for the passenger seats even though when new they were relatively much more expensive than the current IS, and certainly more than the older IS, which was available at the same time. At least with the current IS you can set memory positions against the keys, so you don't even have to press a button if you don't want to :) Still that is just a software feature so hasn't really added to the cost of the vehicle.

It does seem hard to justify the list price of the IS, especially the higher grades. Saying that all cars seem very over priced these days - I'm getting old :(

Its the VAT lol

• 2 weeks later...

One solution I have thought of to the one fog one reversing light issue. There are a couple of eBay listings for LED fog lights that replace the reflectors in the lower part of the bumper. Then a use a LHD rear light cluster so have two reversing lights. Assuming they change sides on a LHD??

eBay item 361225233011 my tab will not copy the link for some reason.

Thoughts?

Ed.

That eBay item looks quite interesting. I wonder how easy it will be to do the actual swap. I wouldn't have thought that it would be too much of a job to make the rear fog light into a reversing light with a bit of jiggling about with the wiring and changing the bulb/LED to a white light. Someone might well think otherwise.

I would think that a light cluster would be quite expensive.

It may be difficult to swap the leds from red to white as I bet they are soldered to an integral pcb. A complete light cluster is not required as the reversing light is in the separate smaller part on the boot lid.
Sourcing the LHD light may be the hard part. I will try and find a supplier and cost it.
Ed.

One solution I have thought of to the one fog one reversing light issue. There are a couple of eBay listings for LED fog lights that replace the reflectors in the lower part of the bumper. Then a use a LHD rear light cluster so have two reversing lights. Assuming they change sides on a LHD??

Ebay item 361225233011 my tab will not copy the link for some reason.

Thoughts?

Ed.

Just wondering Ed, do you know if there are holes where the rear reflectors are, or are they simply solidly glued into a shaped recess? You would really need for there to be holes to take the added depth and wiring of the replacements. I wouldnt want to be doing any cutting!

Just wondering Ed, do you know if there are holes where the rear

reflectors are, or are they simply solidly glued into a shaped recess?

You would really need for there to be holes to take the added depth and

wiring of the replacements. I wouldnt want to be doing any cutting!

I had a quick look and was able to put my hand up behind and there seemed to be enough space. The reflecter moved and I felt like it would pop out if pushed. It certainly didn't seem to be glued more clipped in!!

Ed.

Just wondering Ed, do you know if there are holes where the rear

reflectors are, or are they simply solidly glued into a shaped recess?

You would really need for there to be holes to take the added depth and

wiring of the replacements. I wouldnt want to be doing any cutting!

I had a quick look and was able to put my hand up behind and there seemed to be enough space behind. The refecter moved and I felt like it would pop out if pushed. It certainly didn't seem to be glued more clipped in!!

Ed.

That's good news then Ed. I might be tempted to have a go with the eBay stuff. Might just try to suss out the wiring first to see how easy it would be to link in.

Are those reflectors the only ones on the back of the car? Showing

reflectors is a legal requirement, mot failure if not present.

The eBay lights are reflectors to with the Leds built in. The only legal point that I can see is they are probably are not E marked. I had a look at the Construction & Use regs and there is no set standard for rear fogs other than you must have at least one.

Ed

eBay listing description:-

Type of Lights: LED Rear bumper tail brake light with red lens reflector for Lexus

You're certainly on the ball Ed. Looks like it might still be a goer then!

The IS F seems to have a separate rear LED bulb for the reversing lights so it may be an easy swap. From the outside on my car the fog & reversing lights look slightly different. I will have a look behind the trim and see if i can confirm what the difference actually is.

Ed.

You're certainly on the ball Ed. Looks like it might still be a goer then!

The IS F seems to have a separate rear LED bulb for the reversing lights so it may be an easy swap. From the outside on my car the fog & reversing lights look slightly different. I will have a look behind the trim and see if i can confirm what the difference actually is.

Ed.

Yes Ed, the lights do look different, I only noticed the difference myself a short time ago. Not too sure about the fittings on them but it might just be that the bulbs/LED's are different. The rear fog light and reversing light lenses do look identical.

I've just been out for another look and it does just seem as though the difference is in the bulbs/LED's

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links