Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Theft From Rx400 With No Apparent Damage

Is it possible??

It seems that my road may have been targeted by thieves somehow gaining entry to cars without leaving any damage. This is interesting, because about 2 months ago, my wife gave me hell because she claimed I lost her bag of 20 pence coins that she keeps for parking. Also, I normally keep a stash of change in there too, but I may have used it. In any case, I guess it is possible it was stolen, but how? How do you gain access to an RX 400h without causing damage or setting off the alarm, etc.?

I know it is possible to clone key signals somehow, but it would be VERY obvious if someone on my road was just hanging around - if that is a possibility, how close would someone need to be?

Thanks.

Is it possible??

It seems that my road may have been targeted by thieves somehow gaining entry to cars without leaving any damage. This is interesting, because about 2 months ago, my wife gave me hell because she claimed I lost her bag of 20 pence coins that she keeps for parking. Also, I normally keep a stash of change in there too, but I may have used it. In any case, I guess it is possible it was stolen, but how? How do you gain access to an RX 400h without causing damage or setting off the alarm, etc.?

I know it is possible to clone key signals somehow, but it would be VERY obvious if someone on my road was just hanging around - if that is a possibility, how close would someone need to be?

Thanks.

There are a few options. The most obvious being that they had a copy of the key which they could use to unlock the car. This is a problem when buying used as you dont really know if you have all the keys or if the previous owner was a sneaky one and got the key copied.

Another method is to copy the signal of the fob. They use a device which will replicate the signal, they'll lock the car themselves so you thinks its locked and then they'll go and unlock it.

However, i highly doubt they'd go through all that trouble to steal a bag of 20p coins. They may be hesitant to take the car but they would take everything else in the car including the spare tyre sometimes lol. Whatever they can sell on eBay basically

In terms of how close theyd have to be, possibly about 50m away maximum

I see where you are going with that question, Matt - but if it's anything like my RX, even if car was accidentally unlocked by medalling little fingers, the car would auto lock itself after 20 seconds without a door opening! Unless you meant them "borrowing" the 20p's - an inside job as it were! ;)

Yes I have children, but they're too young to pull this off. :)

I'm going to put it down to me just being absent-minded. I really can't imagine an 06 RX being a target for anyone, but maybe I am wrong.

What I was really wondering is whether there was any obvious/well publicised security flaw (e.g. like our Land Rover friends), but it doesn't sound like there is.

The way my road is laid out and with all neighbours knowing each other, even someone 50m away would be fairly obvious, so I think it must be just me.. or maybe it IS one of the neighbours ha!

Is it possible??

Thanks.

There are a few options. The most obvious being that they had a copy of the key which they could use to unlock the car. This is a problem when buying used as you dont really know if you have all the keys or if the previous owner was a sneaky one and got the key copied.

One useful feature I found on my A6 Hybrid (and other Audis apparently) is you can go into the Car Menu within the Multimedia/Car Setup system and it records exactly the number of keys that have been assigned to the vehicle, regardless of who or how it was done. A neat trick and very useful when buying secondhand (or new as I found my dealer had made a copy before delivery).

Chris, I wonder if that particular day you (somebody) just forgot or mistakenly failed to lock the car? Might have been just a passing scrot noticing the alarm LED not flashing and just tried thier luck at the door handle?

What's more likely, that thieves are using advanced techniques to break into your car and steal change? Or that you simply mislaid the change?

Not really high tech though, you can get them off eBay lol

Interesting post that reminded me of an older one, where someone else on the forum claimed that their car had been broken into without any apparent damage or forced entry...

For some mysterious reason I am unable to paste the link in here, but search this forum for "stolen", and look for "Lexus RX300 broken into insurance company refuses to pay out"

• 1 year later...

I know it's poor etiquette to bring up an old post, but the same thing happened again. Car broken into, no damage at all, glovebox open and a bag of change gone. This time, I know I am not going nuts because I put the change there myself. It was about £2-3. Why I know it was broken into is because this time he/she/they left the driver's door open (and the Battery was flat of course next day) AND three other cars had the same thing happen - broken into, no damage, cash gone.

So clearly there is a high-tech way of breaking into cars (the others were not Lexus), They only took the case: The locking wheel nuts, spare, etc - i.e. the high-value but serious stuff was untouched.

I have no idea how to resolve this other than keep cash and valuables out of the car.

Did you report it to the police? - They may be able to lift finger prints and it is also likely that if it has happened in other streets than yours...

Would be interested in hearing their theory on this?

Watch this (even includes a Lex!):

If some nefarious sort lived locally they can read the code from your key fob when you use it using a gizmo and eventually the gizmo will have enough info to remotely unlock the car after a few seconds when the thief is nearby.

It's a new take on the old 'rolling' alarm codes hack from a few years ago.

The answer? Magnavolt 3000!

[emoji3]

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links