Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

First Scratch - Grrrrrrrrr

Wife noticed a black mark above the passenger side front wheel on the wheel arch tonight. I didn't notice it today but I did stop at Tesco on the way home !!

Removed the black mark no bother with some scratch remover and have put some AG Super Resin on.

I'm really picky, and there is a very faint scratch in the lacquer, about an inch long. You wouldn't know unless I pointed it out. So annoying though.

Will keep using scratch remover and AG, should buff out I reckon eventually.

Sorry to hear this Dave. Some inconsiderate yeti I expect. It's similar to when you wallpaper a room and put a little tear in the paper, no one can see it, but you know it's there, and it irritates.

i always try my best to park well away from everyone else in public car parks as general rule of thumb is 90% of people couldnt give a f*** about your motor.

end result is any dings, broken mirrors will cost you so i just try to keep sane by parking away from anyone, especially far from vauxhall people carriers and trolleys.

Ag Super resin wont cut it, itll just fill it in.

Get yourself a good compound - Meguiars M205 will remove it, no mark will be visible.

If thats too pro for you, you can get G3 scratch remover from Halfords which does the job too. Problem is - these things are designed to be super abrasive - personally id just use M205 with a machine and itll be safer than the G3 stuff

Agree totally with toffee_pie, below are my comments posted recently in the thread "IS300h As a Family Car"

I have to agree totally with these comments. They are precisely me.
If you could hear my wifes comments when I am parking my car! I am so
fussy, even to the point of moving it again if I think I need to. If I
should ever be cajoled into going to the supermarket in my car, I always
park as far away from the entrance as possible, much to my wife's
annoyance. If I have to park amongst the many, then I always look for a
space between other quality motors.

I always keep a bottle of Bird Dropping spray handy too, the seagulls round here enjoy Bomber Command status!

• Like 2

I'm the same, and now I think about it maybe it wasn't the supermarket - but who knows. Could have been at the golf club, or work I suppose.

Now the red mist has lifted today, and I looked at it this morning, I have to accept that it is really tiny and if I didn't point it out 99.9% of people would never see it. And it's only in the lacquer and hasn't marked the paint.

Still annoying though, and even though mine is a Company car, other peoples disregard for you belongings is infuriating.

I'm going to keep going over it very lightly with G3 scratch remover and then re-apply AG Super Resin when I clean the car and try and blend it a little to my own satisfaction/sanity !!

Geoff (Bluenose1940) and I recently had a brief exchange of thoughts on how to reduce the risk of damage to

our cars when parking in public places (see IS300h As Family Car). Any advice on the subject additional to the

following would be much appreciated:

1. Whenever possible, park between quality cars and/or preferably ones that are new, clean, and scratch- and

dent-free;

2. Don't park next to spaces for the handicapped, occupied or not;

3. Don't park next to vehicles with baby-seats, folding prams, folding wheelchairs, large packages or large dogs

in the back;

4. Don't park next to cars with prominent door-protectors, since owners tend not to care about others;

5. In supermarket car-parks choose the outer perimeters where trolleys are unlikely to be wheeled between cars;

6. Whenever possible, prefer spaces with a wall or fence on one side, thus halving chances of damage;

7. Don't park under trees, thus reducing chances of bird droppings, wet vegetation etc.

It gets easier over time, I cry every time I wash my car. I've done over 40,000 miles in 15mths and the front end is destroyed with stone chips. I've just resigned myself to the fact you can't wrap the car in cotton wool. I just have to wait 21 mths for a nice shiny new one to wreck the front end all over again

Be careful using the scratch remover products as the paint\clearcoat seems to be very thin.

Nah its not thin - its 195microns. Average is supposed to be 150microns so Lexus have put it on quite thick. Its just soft, but you wont do much damage with a scratch remover - 10microns max. Its only if you keep doing the same spot 10 times in a row - then youll be looking at 95 microns and you're in serious trouble at that point.

Nah its not thin - its 195microns. Average is supposed to be 150microns so Lexus have put it on quite thick.

Of that 195microns do you know what percentage is made up by the primer, undercoat(if there is one) colour and then lacquer?

Nah its not thin - its 195microns. Average is supposed to be 150microns so Lexus have put it on quite thick.

Of that 195microns do you know what percentage is made up by the primer, undercoat(if there is one) colour and then lacquer?

ID expect it to be evenly distributed really. But you shouldnt have any trouble with the scratch remover as the diminishing abrasives wont let you really do any damage.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links