Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Broken Cd Player

i remember reading in lexus owners club a few years back mixed views on whether cdr's work in the original is200 cd player.

some saying they didnt work (in that the player rejected them immediately) and and some saying they'd had no trouble.

i took my car in about 18 months ago with an error 3 (meaning cd's had hofficially jammed in the player - and it was a write-off) and they fitted a new one, and had to send the old one off to retrieve the cd's from it.

one or two of them were cdr's that i had been using, as i discovered that i didnt have problems with playing them.

i got a rap on the knuckles when the cd's finally came back, and i had to go to the garage to pick them up.

what frustrated me the most was that i had 6 cd's in when it was sent off, and only 5 of them came back. one of which was one of my best originals.

the guys told me off, and said cdr's dont work.

regardless of this, and knowing that i hadnt had any trouble with cdr's before it jammed - i went back to using cdr's - assuming that if i used originals again - i risked losing them like i had done previously should it jam up again.

we're talking 16 months or so down the line of using a combination of originals and cdr's and ive got another error 3, which means another trip to the garage and another replacement stereo put in.

the last time the car was under warranty so i got it done for free, but this time it isnt, so im expecting a seriously hefty bill to pay for it this time.

i just wondered if anyone else can confirm that cdr's are whats to blame, or if the rumour that the old is200 stereo is renowned for jamming on cd's is true and is more likely to be the cause.

cdr's are the same size and shape as originals so surely they cant be to blame.

can they?

If your car is under 5 year old and under 100,000 miles then the stereo is still covered under an extended warranty.

The problem with some CD-Rs is they are not the same size, they can be thicker or thinner. However the ERR3 problem is common and can happen if you are using just standard CDs

i thought it was common knowledge that cdrw's dont work in any audio cd player?

i know the lines on a cdrw are closer together than cdr's, so the player needs to be more flexible to handle them. which i seriously suspect an is200 stereo isnt!

i was told the 100k miles/5 years thing, and although i havent passed 100k miles yet, my car was registered in september 1999, so i was sweating it all day yesterday while my car was in praying the five years ended after the 23rd, and not before!

when i went back to get it - they told me i was covered, on the basis that i had booked the car in last week - which was ONE DAY before the warranty expired!

talk about close shave!

i'm now in two minds about whether to start using cdr's again. given that i wont be covered if it happens again.

got a few originals in the new player at the moment while i make my mind up.

thinking about getting an extended warranty and just carrying on with cdrs!

As i remember, they asked for new stereo ~1200-1400 Euro. Don't remember exactly, but it is nonsense to pay for stereo head unit that much!!! My head unit had very often ERR1, tired to clean laser with cleaning disk, didn't help much, then i bought expencive cleaning disk, and you know what, it helped! The cotton wich cleaned laser was oroginaly white, after cleaning - came out black:)) Besides, i use 95% CDR disks, and it is fine.

Guest mark_tsang

my original stereo came up with 'Err3' 3 with 4 CD's stuck inside, 2 of them are CD-r. was told it cost few hundred pounds to fix so i changed to a Alpine head unit.

1200 nicker for a new radio?

flippineck!

i picked up a leaflet on extended warranties when i was there to pick me car up.

£400ish for 12 months, £700ish for 24 months

now my stereo warranty has expired, i should be thinking about it. especially if it could happen again.

24 months of cover on the full car are cheaper than getting a new stereo.

how messed up is that.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links