Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I am looking at replacing my '06 GS300 with a GS450h and have a budget of around £15k plus the value of my car. I am looking to buy from a Lexus dealer, largely for piece of mind.

Looking at vehicles online, they seem to be giving the option of "Negotiate On This Car", so they are clearly open to offers.

But what is reasonable to be asking for? I would be be looking to add the 2 years extended warranty, so would it be insulting to expect them to throw that in for free, or half price? Or should I be asking for a discount or better deal on my p/x GS300?

Incidentally, what warranty comes with a used Lexus, before the extended warranty begins?

Regards

Hi Mike, I think different dealers have different deals on. Can you post a link to the cars your looking at?

What I've found so far is they don't like to budge much on price! Got offered peanuts on a trade in too.

hi mike

different dealers have different markup on different cars - their attitude might be different if selling a brand new car to a used on.

personally i would'nt be afraid to ask for a warranty to be thrown in on the screen price - the worst they can say is no and you can always up your offer.

good luck with the car hunting - why do you want to change to a 450h?

Be prepared to walk away but make sure the dealer has your email address and don't settle until you've walked away at least twice.

The dealer will have a break even figure and will eventually settle for any amount above that.

• Like 1

Hi Mike, I think different dealers have different deals on. Can you post a link to the cars your looking at?

What I've found so far is they don't like to budge much on price! Got offered peanuts on a trade in too.

duncan i see the one you were interested in now also on Autotrader.

Its better (not always easier of course) to sell your current car and use cash to buy the next one. If you are part-ex the car with the dealer, they will make a cut on the trade-in and vehicle they are selling. So this means win-win for them and for less money, you get less hassle.

If you are patient then try bargaining and leave your details but walk away on the first visit, it depends how desperate they need to shift their cars.

• Like 1

One is http://usedcars.lexus.co.uk/used-GS/GS-450h/3.5-SE/Derby/1833776-605293285-1913663.aspx?srcmdc=se_na_re_ whilst the other is http://usedcars.lexus.co.uk/used-GS/GS-450h/3.5-SE-L/Nottingham/1833777-605025965-1609632.aspx?srcmdc=se_na_re_

As they are only about 20 miles apart I may take a look at both of them on the same day.

One is http://usedcars.lexus.co.uk/used-GS/GS-450h/3.5-SE/Derby/1833776-605293285-1913663.aspx?srcmdc=se_na_re_ whilst the other is http://usedcars.lexus.co.uk/used-GS/GS-450h/3.5-SE-L/Nottingham/1833777-605025965-1609632.aspx?srcmdc=se_na_re_

As they are only about 20 miles apart I may take a look at both of them on the same day.

Hi Mike, Links not working for some reason?

duncan i see the one you were interested in now also on Autotrader.

Yes its up for sale in numerous places now! According to the Lexus Used car site they have 3 offers so far. They haven't come back to me, but then again I did ask for 1k off!

I like the Olive Green one and it's lower mileage, however it doesn't have cooled seats by the looks of it? I love the cooled seats in the IS.

I'd see how much you can get chucked in warranty wise and get some money off.

A car from an independent then buy a Lexus warranty, could save you thousands.

Exactly, but only after your 'free warranty' has expired......http://www.lawgistics.co.uk/legal-article-warranty/motor-trade-warranty-guarantee-service-contract/what-are-the-customers-legal-rights-when-buying-a-used-car

I would be be looking to add the 2 years extended warranty, so would it be insulting to expect them to throw that in for free, or half price?

I wouldn't worry about insulting them, after all they'd be quick enough to insult you if you wanted to part ex. Lexus edgware rd offered just over 50% of what I paid for my car the other day, which I smiled at as I only bought it last year - made me think though, if Lexus depreciate that badly, is it wise me buying another!

When I bought my gs450h from a Lexus dealer I had 1 year extended warranty included. Weirdly you cannot buy 1 year yourself but two minimum. Must be something only Lexus themselves can do.

I paid for an additional two years in mine giving me three years piece of mind by which time I will be swapping it again.

Cost me £995 but I think worth the outlay.

As it turned out I had a few initial issues that needed sorting on my Gs. Cost just over 5k with Lexus main dealer labour charges.

In short,mpsid for itself in the first few months.

Carl

When I bought my gs450h from a Lexus dealer I had 1 year extended warranty included. Weirdly you cannot buy 1 year yourself but two minimum. Must be something only Lexus themselves can do.

I paid for an additional two years in mine giving me three years piece of mind by which time I will be swapping it again.

As it turned out I had a few initial issues that needed sorting on my Gs. Cost just over 5k with Lexus main dealer labour charges.

Carl

You might save more by going to an independant. Say a car is £15k at Lexus, it'll probably will be £13k at an independant. As I mentioned in my post above you also have the consumer rights act 2015 which give a certain amount of time after purchase depending on severity of the fault, once this has ended you then buy the two year warranty plus a further two years later on. So, if a Lexus purchase costs you £16k inc warranty for 3 years, an independant purchase costs you £15k for four years warranty. All hypothetical of course, as the gap between Lexus and independant prices might be bigger!

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

Carl

You might save more by going to an independant. Say a car is £15k at Lexus, it'll probably will be £13k at an independant. As I mentioned in my post above you also have the consumer rights act 2015 which give a certain amount of time after purchase depending on severity of the fault, once this has ended you then buy the two year warranty plus a further two years later on. So, if a Lexus purchase costs you £16k inc warranty for 3 years, an independant purchase costs you £15k for four years warranty. All hypothetical of course, as the gap between Lexus and independant prices might be bigger!

The 08 example was £13.999 at the Lexus dealer but mine was less than £10k, so the savings could be quite considerable.

Carl

The 08 example was £13.999 at the Lexus dealer but mine was less than £10k, so the savings could be quite considerable.

Totally agree. Bought mine from an independent just a year ago.

I used the three months (inferior) supplied warranty and then bought a Lexus 24 month warranty in January this year.

Mine's going in to Lexus Cardiff on Tuesday for an intermediate service and mot. It had just had the expensive 60,000 service before I bought it. That's a factor worth bearing in mind !

I plan to sell my IS next summer with six months remaining Lexus warranty so that the new owner can pick up the next major service. It should sell quite easily with the warranty in place and I shouldn't lose too much from my original purchase price as I bought it well to start with.

Your "3 month inferior warranty" was incorrect as so many traders say 3 month. If anything goes wrong in the first 6 months they are liable under the Sale of Goods Act unless they can prove that it wasn't faulty when you purchased it.

The new consumer rights do not supercede the Sale of Goods Act but give additional rights covering most goods.

No, you are incorrect. Timescale of 3 or 6 months is irrelevant.

The RAC warranty supplied by the trader wasn't worth the paper it was written on.

I discovered a siezed caliper and the RAC warranty refused to pay out. Fortunately, the trader was very understanding and concerned and contributed £200 to the cost.

I've not had cause to claim on the Lexus warranty, but it tells you what IS covered, rather than the RAC which highlights all eventualities NOT covered.

After my service and mot on Tuesday, maybe I'll have made a successful claim ?......I'll let you know.

The RAC warranty supplied by the trader wasn't worth the paper it was written on.

I discovered a siezed caliper and the RAC warranty refused to pay out. Fortunately, the trader was very understanding and concerned and contributed £200 to the cost.

The trader was understanding because he was fully liable for the cost of repair under the sale of goods act, warranty or no warranty. The vehicle has to be fit for purpose unless faults are disclosed at the point of sale and the buyer accepts.

When you purchase a second hand vehicle from a trader you expect all four brakes to be working correctly.

I've not had cause to claim on the Lexus warranty, but it tells you what IS covered, rather than the RAC which highlights all eventualities NOT covered.

After my service and mot on Tuesday, maybe I'll have made a successful claim ?......I'll let you know.

I can assure you that it is not incorrect. Your very understanding dealer should have contributed the full cost of rectification.

The caliper would quite possibly not be covered by the RAC warranty but it would have been covered by Sale of Goods Act. I had a couple of issues on the GS 430 I owned and Lexus Coventry quite rightly told me they were not covered by the Lexus warranty. As soon as I mentioned S of G Act they agreed but said that I had to see sales. Sales accepted liability and the work was carried out. The reason it was passed to sales to authorize was because the service/repairs arm of the dealership needed payment from somewhere.

These dealers prey on the fact that so many people are ignorant of their rights and just accept it when they are told they get 3 months warranty from the dealer. If you purchase a 12 month warranty it is really only a 6 month warranty as you have far more rights under S of G Act than you do under warranty.

Why buy from Lexus, you can save thousands at an independent. as long as it has good history whats the difference. i never go near Lexus with mine to buy or look after unless you have a very fat wallet. with your budget you could get a much better one than those 2.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links