Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

How To Achieve The Best 0-60 Time

I am wondering how you achieve the best 0-60 time in an is250,

Option 1 sport mode manually changing gear

Option 2 auto mode with PWR switch on

Option 3 just leaving in full auto mode,,,,,, don't think there are any other options are there?

I would think sport mode with PWR switch on. Start by paddling down to 1, go! ,paddling up at max revs (just before, but not into, the cut-out). I think it will probably get to 60 in 2nd - might need 3rd. It won't do the car much good to try it too often!

I would think sport mode with PWR switch on. Start by paddling down to 1, go! ,paddling up at max revs (just before, but not into, the cut-out). I think it will probably get to 60 in 2nd - might need 3rd. It won't do the car much good to try it too often!

+1 to that..exactly how I did it messing about on an airfield in France this year. Purely for the hell of it. Didn't go up to max revs though....close but not 'max'.

Option 3 - The car is fastest in 'D' in normal mode as far as 0-60 is concerned.

There is plenty of information on this on the US forum. For some reason, the car shifts up at a lower rpm in ECT mode.

The pedals are laggy so there is no point in using them.

All that will certainly help to reduce rolling resistance and weight - apparently, pumping up the tyres to 3.5 bar (~52 psi) and diluting the engine oil with diesel were what VW engineers did to 'improve' CO2 emissions/fuel consumption. Remember they were setting up to be on a rolling road for half an hour though.

Whether it will make a measurable difference to 0-60 I don't know. How are you going to measure the time? A few runs in opposite directions with a stop watch and the speedo? Hmmm.....

I can never find anywhere that's quiet and level enough. I find what I think is a deserted straight road and blow me - there's traffic coming along every minute! Same if we're having a picnic (or in my younger days a bit of hanky-panky) - you think you've found a quiet field gateway and you can guarantee the farmer will turn up with his tractor in 5 minutes!

• Like 2

S is not sport mode. It allows the lever or paddles to fix the shift range. The same as old autos having 1, 2, 3 positions. It has no effect on the car performance nor is it a true manual mode. The ISF had a manual mode and as such it's gear selection is d or m.

In a 0-60 standing start doubt pwr mode on the ect will have an effect either. Floor the throttle in d and standard ect setting and the gearshift will redline through the first few gears anyway.

I agree that Lexus are pretty vague about what 'S' means, but certainly for other car brands S means 'Sport'. (To wit - see the Owners Manual for a '64 VW Passat - in the section about gear changing it unequivocally says 'D - Normal programme, S - Sport programme (you can find the manual on line if you can find a reg number - see Autotrader or Google images))

But 'Sport' is a much misused and abused term in motoring circles and it's pretty irrelevant anyway. What S-mode does do is make the box change faster, change up at higher revs and change down more readily when braking. It makes the box less 'slushy' and slightly less comfortable ( ie detectably 'jerky').

I'd agree that flooring the throttle in D will take the revs to pretty much max - the change might just be a smidgen faster if you floor the throttle in S (without messing with the paddles)

As for the ECT switch - my owners manual (P109) says 'Power mode - for powerful acceleration and driving in mountainous regions'. Might make a difference - might not.

Of course, it would be interesting to find out if either S or PWR makes any detectable difference in real world conditions. For that, someone will need proper instrumentation and controlled conditions.

The key to minimising 0-60 times is to change at a point where the next gear up (2nd) is selected to leave the engine well up the torque curve. That means pretty close to max revs. (the change, not the torque curve).

I suspect that what would be a better comparison to sort the 'fast' cars from the rest would be a comparison of 0-70 times. Most cars will just about do 60 in 2nd, but not in 3rd. So 2 changes required (probably not for a IS250) and so many cars have a great gulf between 2nd and 3rd so that when you select 3rd you have fallen right off the torque curve. No names, but I've been pleased to see the back of cars in the past just for that characteristic!

I read somewhere - cant remember the source - that s stands for sequential.

S mode purely allows the gear range to be set. Its doesn't physically change gear any quicker nor remap the throttle. S mode also disables the AI shift. The recomendation of Lexus is to use d as the default and s purely to limit the shift range. PWR mode puts the ECT into a more agressive - performance orientated - map for gear changes. Some claim this makes the throttle more sensitive - however that may be a red herring as PWR mode keeps the engine at higher revs than standard so throttle response would be better than ususal anyway. Never seen anything that confirms throttle mapping in itself is actually a part of the system on the IS250....although it could be. I have tried snow mode and the throttle does seem less sensitive - but its difficult to be certain.

the nearest setting to a "sport" mode is pwr on the ect.

I am wondering how you achieve the best 0-60 time in an is250,

Sell it and buy a sports car? :-)

I read somewhere - cant remember the source - that s stands for sequential.

The S mode is certainly not sequential, as it can/does jump gears. There are not many road cars out there with sequential gearboxes.

The paddle shifts is not a true gear changer, what I mean by that is, it doesn't change gears the moment you press it, rather it waits for a certain point to auto change. i.e. if you floor it on 1st then say you paddle shift up at 4-5k rpm, it waits till it almost red lines then shifts up. Think of it more like a max gear limit selector.

Regards to PWR mode, i read that this just keeps the revs longer rather than have 'more power'.

There is no sports mode on the IS250 (there is a PWR mode), i think the gear selector area with 'S' probably just means shift/selector.

As for the achieving the best 0-60, leave it on D (PWR mode if you wish), left foot on brake with a little gas then let go of brakes and gas foot to the floor!

I also read up the 0-60 times on the Lexus are mostly wrong, i.e. the times are actually faster than quoted by due to some emissions/rules, its made to look modest.

PS: Snow modes just shifts the gears aloot earlier so you dont have the power floor it as such

PhilipK - I was not trying to suggest it is sequential - I just read some where that s stood for sequential.

Cracksta - agree with you definitions 100%. makes me think that the s stands for "selection" mode - at least its the nearest s to what that mode if for.

apologies for going off topic (ie 0-60 times) but have found this from Lexus:

AI shift:

Think of Artificial Intelligence Shift as a gearbox that can read your mind. When you want relax and just cruise, it gives you smooth automatic gearchanges. When you want to press on, the changes become quicker and crisper. So how can it predict your mood-- Sensors monitor the movement of the accelerator pedal, the car's speed and the road conditions. Then, using complex algorithms, the system determines your intent and makes intelligent choices about gear selection. It even changes down intuitively when you are going downhill to give you more engine braking.

From the handbook:

The AI-SHIFT automatically shifts the gear to the optimal position according to the
driver performance and driving conditions.
The AI-SHIFT automatically operates when the shift lever is in the D position. (Shifting
the shift lever to the S position cancels the function.)

So for variable speed of the actual shifts, (quicker and crisper) you need to be in d not s.

Also noticed that the manual cars have a snow mode, so that mode probably does have a throttle map to de - sensitise

James - your quotes might imply that D is somehow superior to S. I don't think that's the case at all - for example 'optimal position' means the gear for the best fuel economy and to reduce emissions (see the OM for use of D - note 1) (which I suppose some would count as superior!). I suspect it also implies the best gear for smoothness and comfort and general passenger experience in normal driving. And 'Shifting the shift lever to the S position cancels the function' doesn't mean that you lose any performance benefit of D - it just means that the driver is making (some) decision about the gear to be in and the car is not taking account of the best fuel economy etc.

And 'When you want to press on, the changes become quicker and crisper' just means 'than they normally are in D' It doesn't necessarily imply any advantage (or disadvantage) over S.

S-mode is especially valuable if say you're following someone at 50 or so on a road with limited overtaking opportunities. The AI-shift function would probably want the car to be in 6 but by using S you can hold it on 3 or 4 so that when the opportunity comes up you can start accelerating instantly without waiting what seems like an interminable time for the box to sort itself out when you floor the throttle.

Also noticed that the manual cars have a snow mode, so that mode probably does have a throttle map to de - sensitise

How does Snow mode work in a Manual?

My IS250 Auto has a snow mode (so starts off in 2nd,etc), but I don't think I've ever seen anything similar on a manual box...

yeah i take those points. I guess its horses for courses. I find s mode in normal driving to be clunky, laggy and somewhat pointless (given you've purchased an auto in the first place) in most driving conditions. I suspect the paddles where fitted give s an additional novelty value?

The scenario you describe is for me the only use of s outside staying in a low gear for serious hill climbing or descending - you can guarantee a set gear above the right speed and therefore where the engine is in the rev band before commencing a manouver. D works better for economy, smoothness and is fine for getting some speed on (esp combined with pwr) - you just need to not be afraid of giving it some throttle. On public roads the car has all the oomph I need iin d I guess.

One possible general disadvantage with s though - if Ai shift maps the ect to gentle economy driving due to how you've driven, then you flick to s and disable the Ai shift, does s keep the ect within the parameters of the box at time of switch (ie that it "inherited)? as oppose to d which would adapt to a more spirited driving style.....I suspect its possible as the gear you get by default in s can be influenced by the AI shift prior to engaging s.

I've tweeted Lexus UK and asked them what s stands for. They have replied with the answer it does stand for sport. I've followed up with a question in what way is it a sport mode - wether it has different parameters by default from d for max performance? Or is it just a generic name for a mode which merely allows setting of the max gear allowed.....

I want the truth!!

Update - after some more discussion they think I mean the drive mode selector on current cars as they've stated it alters throttle and steering set up. Ive sent them a pic of the mk2 IS auto selector showing them the "s" I actually mean...

johnatg, on 09 Nov 2015 - 14:24, said:

James - your quotes might imply that D is somehow superior to S.

S-mode is especially valuable if say you're following someone at 50 or so on a road with limited overtaking opportunities. The AI-shift function would probably want the car to be in 6 but by using S you can hold it on 3 or 4 so that when the opportunity comes up you can start accelerating instantly without waiting what seems like an interminable time for the box to sort itself out when you floor the throttle.

D and S are for 2 different functions IMO, in terms of superior in the 0-60, I would prefer using D as i dont need to guess when to shift as it will do it at the max rpm and if you use S, it will not shift when you want it to until you get to the end of the rev range. To prove this, select S at gear 1, floor it and shift to 2nd when the rpm hits 5k rpm, it will not shift and will wait just before the redline and then will shift to 2nd. Otherwise, ease off the gas and it will then shift into 2nd.

For when using S, you are right about the IS250 limits the highest gear to be in hence why i think the S stands for selector. Another good way of using S if say you are on a steep hill, you want to be in the higher rev range, you can limit the gears from changing otherwise it will change to say gears 3-4 and might be sluggish going up.

And 'When you want to press on, the changes become quicker and crisper' just means 'than they normally are in D' It doesn't necessarily imply any advantage (or disadvantage) over S.

The only slight advantage i guess would be you dont need to change the gears on a straight and will get consistent results, if in paddle shift it may not shift like you want it too.

How does Snow mode work in a Manual?

My IS250 Auto has a snow mode (so starts off in 2nd,etc), but I don't think I've ever seen anything similar on a manual box...

It shows it in the handbook for manual gear box.. My assumption is it will electronically de-sensitise the throttle. On the auto it clearly influences gear change also. I dont think pwr mode does anything throttle wise as the manual doesnt have it - its only an auto box gear change point difference (I think). The throttle response is better in pwr as the revs are generally higher giving that natural effect...

Heard back from @lexus uk:

To clear up confusion that I was not referring to drive mode selection I sent them this (diagram attached)

Just to make sure we are talking about the same thing, I mean the s mode on the old auto box (2005-2012 IS) not the current rotary mode controller. Its where you move the gear lever over to the right from d to s. Attached a pic of the gear selection (that's for a left hand drive but the d-s selection is what I'm referring to..

The reply was:

Thanks for the diagram. The S stands for sequential. When in that mode you can control the gear the car is in yourself through moving it forward or backwards.

post-51195-0-12789800-1447100694_thumb.j

Sounds like Lexus themselves are confused, because (as you doubtless know), "you can control the gear the car is in yourself through moving it forward or backwards" is incorrect (all you can do is to constrain the highest gear which the auto box can choose).

I also struggle to see how they can regard it as a "sequential" mode.

Started this post with a simple question, never expected so many in depth replies,,,,,, so how do you achieve the best 0-60 time? Option 1,2 or 3

I'd go with D, set ect to pwr for good measure, foot to floor,

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links