Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Took my LS 400 for my first long distance run, from Kent to Bristol and back. What a superb drive. The power available for overtaking is a dream. I got 30.2 mpg there and back, 420 miles and still the fuel light has not come on! More than impressed with the MkIV.

• Like 2

Speed varied from 60 mph to 80 mph. I would describe my driving style as smooth and steady. When traffic conditions allowed (it was quite busy being a Bank Holiday) I put the cruise control at 70 mph. Constant speed driving on a motorway is the best for economy. On the way down to Bristol I got 31 mpg but travelling in city traffic (heavy in Bristol) really knocks down the economy and it was reading 29 mpg as I left Bristol. Town driving, even with a very light throttle, knocks the mpg right down. This was all based on the computer but I will do a fill-up and calculate again. I am not particularly concerned about mpg - as I am running a 4 litre V8! - but it is interesting to compare with my old 2.0 petrol people carrier.

People's perceptions of the LS 400 V8, not familiar with the Lexus, are also interesting. "What do you get to the gallon? 15 mpg?"

After frowning at them they say "Oh, around 20 mpg then?

If I can get between 28 and 30 mpg on a long run, then I consider it worth every penny for the driving experience an LS 400 gives. When you need to accelerate from say 60 mph - the power is superb.

On the negative side of driving the LS 400 ............. well I can't find one yet.

• Like 3

I used to get 41 mpg and that was at a steady 60mph . I had pictures that I think I put up here somewhere . The most I got once was 45mpg and i was suprised at that. That was an X reg ls400

I rarely do more than 70 mph on a motorway - it's often not possible for long anyway because of congestion - and I regularly get 30-35 mpg on a long trip. My best figure over 170 miles was 36 mpg. As David says, it's non-constant speed that pulls the mpg down, even on quiet country roads. At 70 the car feels like a train on rails - so smooth and quiet and steady - and if you want to overtake quickly you just put your foot down. For the money (and probably thousands more) I can't think of another car that I'd rather take on a long journey - especially as the 'economical' Fiesta and Corsas thrashing alongside are probably only doing an extra 5 mpg.

If you really want to be scared, keep the trip computer setting on 'CURRENT MPG'. That will make your right foot lighter!

On a trip north, I reset the 'AVERAGE MPG' when I leave home. It's ten miles to the bottom of the A23/M23, and I expect the average mpg to be 30 by the time I've reached Gatwick. That's at a steady 60-70 mph. After that I'm gutted if the figure drops below 30 mpg.

I reckon the trip computer is 1-2mpg optimistic, compared to my brim-to-rim calcs. Best I had was the euro road trip section through France, Belgium and Holland. 34mpg. This last week, I got approx 30-32mpg over 3/4 of a tank at 65-70mph cruising.

If you have the 'Current MPG' showing with cruise control on, you can see how even slight inclines cause a big change in consumption. I could see it drop from 34mpg on the flat to 22mpg on the M11's hills near Duxford. I doubt anyone living in a hilly area gets anywhere near the figures lowlanders like me see. :)

• Like 1

Took my LS 400 for my first long distance run, from Kent to Bristol and back. What a superb drive. The power available for overtaking is a dream. I got 30.2 mpg there and back, 420 miles and still the fuel light has not come on! More than impressed with the MkIV.

Now you know what we rave about the MKIV for. Mike.

• Like 1

I now fully understand! I think the economy, on a run, is very good for such a large car and engine. It is such a pleasure to drive. Hard to comprehend its age. Not sure many new cars costing upto £20,000 would be any better.

I am beginning to wonder if we should keep it a secret? If too many people cotton on we might find it hard to replace ours in the furure! LOL!

I would be hard pressed to come up with an alternative for the money. They are remarkable value, when compared to newer models, that you can justify spending a bit on repairs. I am more than pleased with RIO!

• Like 1

David, I couldn't agree more! It's why we love our cars so much. Even at the higher prices they're fetching since they've become more scarce, there's nothing I can think of that comes anywhere close to the combination of power, luxury, refinement and reliablity. Who cares if they're not that roomy or exciting to look at? I actually like the fact that they don't appeal to the BMW/Audi boyracer-types.

On the other hand, I'm told (by my mechanic) that scrap LSs are now popular with banger racers. Apparently they strip them and put 2-litre Ford engines in. Some of them are even 430s, because they're being scrapped much earlier than 400s were. I don't really like the idea of an LS being banger raced, but where this might be good news is the availability of secondhand parts that have been removed.

i;ve had a 430 for 3 years and happy with it

the other day i was coming out of a retail park and saw a lovely shiney green Mark 4 (like scribes) enter the retail park - it looked lovely so smooth and majestic - it also had a wood steering - it made my heart race lol! - i was so tempted to go back and have another look and a chat with the owner (LS are very rare round here) but had to be at work soon.

Mark 4s are lovely cars and if ever i can afford 2 cars i will buy one - just to polish and admire it lol

I really wanted a silver one (with black upholstery) but now I like the green - I think it suits the character of the car. Smooth and majestic sounds like how I drive, but it wasn't me!

• Like 1

I agree also that there is nothing wrong with green (emerald jade mica mine is IIRC) Scribe, I wanted a blue one but as you say the colour 'grows' on you especially with the desirable black leather interior which is fairly rare.

On the MPG front I get 13.5 mpg on short trips driving around town and have only seen just above 25 mpg on a run from Kent up to Leicester back last year.

I suppose as most of my driving is relatively short trips my overall average will be low.

I have had it checked out and everything is as it should be. I was advised to not run it with the aircon on during the colder months and just use it during the summer and also use the sport mode, which suits my driving style and it does make a difference to my mpg figs.

Maybe i just need to ease up on the loud pedal but that would take the fun out of driving it!

I agree also that there is nothing wrong with green (emerald jade mica mine is IIRC) Scribe, I wanted a blue one but as you say the colour 'grows' on you especially with the desirable black leather interior which is fairly rare.

On the MPG front I get 13.5 mpg on short trips driving around town and have only seen just above 25 mpg on a run from Kent up to Leicester back last year.

I suppose as most of my driving is relatively short trips my overall average will be low.

I have had it checked out and everything is as it should be. I was advised to not run it with the aircon on during the colder months and just use it during the summer and also use the sport mode, which suits my driving style and it does make a difference to my mpg figs.

Maybe i just need to ease up on the loud pedal but that would take the fun out of driving it!

Keith I do mainly short trips (like 1 mile round trip for paper run) and I get around 18-20mpg so I would think that 13.5 is pretty low, but I do use Tesco Momentum fuel costs appx 5p per litre more.

I have done a couple of trips to Scotland during December The last trip using momentum petrol got to Dufftown by Elgin 485 miles with just under quarter of a tank left, computer reading 34.3 mpg. Filled up with ordinary fuel at a local garage for return journey and I mean filled until it was running back out of filler neck. journey home was bad weather heavy rain strong winds, fuel light came on whilst on M6 near west brom carried on to home display reading low fuel when I filled up.

On the way down from Scotland I saw my average mpg steadily dropping to 31.8 mpg I don't know if the difference was in the fuel quality or the weather conditions or both.

Brian

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links