Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rx 300 Headlights Cloudy Lens

I have noticed that on some older RX's, that the headlight lens seems to be cloudy.

Does this have any significant effect on the brightness/clarity and night?

Is this a ppotential MOT failure?

Has anyone with an RX experienced this or found a solution?

post-20722-0-23528900-1452952974_thumb.j

I think this common to all "non glass" lights. I have the same problem with our Toyota Vitz (Japanese import version of Yaris) in Cyprus. You can get a special cleaner to remove this surface colour but it does come back after a few months. I tried using T cut on the lights but it didn't work very well. I was quoted about €40 by a car cleaning company to clean this off the headlights - not sure if it would last nay longer than the job my garage did for me at no charge when it was serviced.

It hasn't been a problem with the MOT in Cyprus.

Try using tooth paste, the creamy stuff not the stuff with bits in. I found that solution on another website, tried it on a previous car and it worked. Don't be too rough polishing the lens, and it may need a couple of attempts, but it does work.

As I said before I used T cut and it worked great, effort required though.

Yes the discolouration is on the outer surface primarily and needs removed and finishing with a good polish to seal the surface, just like you would for a painted surface.

And as said above by others, basically any good polish/cutter will do the job (to a lesser or greater degree).

I used T cut as it is already on the shelf in the garage and as it does the same job I wasn't about to go out and pay >£20 for a "dedicated" polish, having said that I saw a video demo of a new system a few weeks ago which demonstrated what looked like a very effective and easy alternative, it seems to be more chemical based and requires more care but is faster and looks very effective (for how long I do not know).

http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/Twenty20-Crystalite-Rapid-Headlight-Restoration.html?ajs_uid=575D3103E7D01142AE5CF2A01C05B00B?adnetwork=af

Looks too easy, but it's a reasonable price and yours look well gone so this might be a worth a try first.

There is a note saying it needs to be applied above 10C so definitely not for the next few days!

It says keep it dry for 30 mins (and not touch the surfce) and not to wash the car for two days, might be OK in light rain but not a rinse over with a soapy sponge?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links