Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Buying used from a Lexus dealer?

Hi gurus

I'm looking to buy a used IS250 for a modest amount and there are some candidates at Lexus dealers. I don't want to pay a premium for a dealer car if it doesn't make sense.

Is the Lexus used warranty good value? Any thoughts?

Lexus Woodford, any experiences?

Thanks

you dont really need a is250 from a Lexus dealer, as long as it has a detailed service record there is little difference between a private seller and a Lexus dealer. Aside from the Lexus  dealer one costing considerably more.

5 minutes ago, toffee_pie said:

you dont really need a is250 from a Lexus dealer, as long as it has a detailed service record there is little difference between a private seller and a Lexus dealer. Aside from the Lexus  dealer one costing considerably more.

Buying from a private seller carries its own risks. At least buying from a dealer, whether Lexus franchise or otherwise, there are legal safeguards should any problems arise. This is true of any marque really but Lexus are amongst the more expensive for parts/repairs should they go wrong. If buying privately at a good price service history and mileage are important as many aftermarket warranty companies require service history and a limit on cover dependant on mileage on the car. 

A lexus is250 that is maintained well has no reason to go wrong, and its not an expensive car to fix as you make out. Unless the car you buy is relatively new you dont need to take it to Lexus to repair for instance. Any reputable indy can do oil changes, change plugs, grease calipers or replace water pumps. All things that need done on a is250 at some stage.

Its not a LS460 we are talking here.

The thing about Lexus warranty is that you are effectively tied in to (expensive) Lexus servicing. In theory you shouldn't be, but try claiming on warranty if your car has not been serviced by a franchised dealer. So buying from a dealer may well be a good thing to do - at least you can be fairly confident you have a decent car and have warranty protection at least until a service is due. But then you will be faced with a dilemma - pay their prices or probably less than half their charge but (likely) lose the warranty deal.

And Lexus servicing is not necessarily a panacea - they still won't clean and lubricate those pesky brake caliper sliders!

If the car is relatively new then by all accounts use a Lexus dealer to maintain it. Otherwise you are wasting money (you can still buy parts of course from a Lexus dealer, just don't get them to fit it)  This counts for any car. Dealers have high margin because all the expensive real estate they are located in plus the fancy showroom wont pay for itself.

The point I was making was that if you buy from any dealer.........including non franchise dealers then you have legal protection should a problem arise, this protection isn't there when buying privately. If you read my earlier post you will see that I didn't advise to buy from a Lexus franchise.

that's always the case but there is nothing wrong with buying private as long as you do your homework, I bought all my cars private and never had a problem.  Most non Lexus dealers - trade sellers do warranties anyway. 

The majority of vehicles I've owned have been bought at auction or privately, but I've also bought from dealers, of all flavours.

You need to judge every car/deal on it's merits, and most important, especially if considering private sales, your ability to pick a good car from a polished turd!

Well at least Duncan has had various viewpoints which may help him decide on which avenue to pursue for a purchase. Certainly worth having a really good look around to see what is on the market within budget. Best of luck whichever route you take Duncan.

Thanks. The cars I have seen at independents so far have been, to put it mildly, rough. I think johnatg's point is a key one..a Lexus warranty may be more of a problem if you prefer independent servicing, which I do. Final question.

Why do some have an annual road tax of £290 while others are close to £500?

Don't forget that Lexus dealers will frequently discount from the screen price. The standard used approved 12 month warranty that comes with Lexus used approved cars also gives MOT cover and full breakdown cover including Europe, and accident recovery for you and partner. 

Regards servicing it depends on your anticipated annual mileage.

Hi.

Sorry if this has been mentioned before, but you always have the option to buy privately and then get an Lexus extended warranty from the dealer.  That's what I did.  You just take the car to a dealer and they will give it a health check, then, assuming it passes, they can warranty it for £800 for two years.  With that you also get premium breakdown cover from the AA.  Mine warranty has already paid for itself.

Yes, you do need to service it at a dealer to maintain the warranty, but with Essential servicing, it costs £159 for a minor and £329 for a major service.  Not too bad for main dealer prices.

I bought mine from a dealer, they accepted an offer several hundred below their sticker price. Got a 12 month used warranty and they serviced it at their expense before delivery (the date of the last service was noted wrong and it handn't been serviced for 14 months when I checked the log book after the test drive. So luckily got the first service free) Since then I pay for the Lexus essential servicing on a plan, monthly cost is £2 a month more than it was for my Mondeo. I also have the Lexus assistance as like for like cover was within a pound or 2 of the AA and RAC (first year free with approved used).

Car was 1 owner, sold and maintained by the dealer I bought it from, full history, andhad every bit of paperwork you'd want.

This is not intended to be advice not to source a car from private on non franchised dealer, just that for me it was the right car at the right price and piece of mind, and have had no regret about using a main dealer.

One other point to note - in terms of servicing, without a Lexus service history it couldn't be sold on as an approved used Lexus, meaning trading it back in to a Lexus dealer would get a lower price offered as trade in

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links