Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I tried it for a while it improves response on the up-changes but it spoils the smoothness on the downshifts, you get a lot more engine braking. In the end I have left it on the normal setting for smoothness. Personal choice I suppose.

I normally just use it at busy road junctions or roundabouts to help me slip into gaps in the traffic more safely, before returning back to normal mode again. If it truly has little effect on MPG though, I'll certainly be using it a lot more.

I drive with Power switch on all the time, certainly feel the difference in response.

However, when the car is returned from Lexus, after servicing or repairs, it's always switched off. Must ask them why next time.

1 hour ago, madasahatter said:

Am i right saying it just gets on with things quicker. Saves kicking down when you touch the throttle. It seems to be instant,responce.

Snow mode is the complete opposite.

Yes, thats about it. She's just a little more eager ... if you like. :whip:

Snow Mode just strangles and restricts to stop you spinning the wheels. TBH when it has snowed I just take over and use the paddles in manual mode ...seems to work very well. You can hold back the gear changes that way.

Yes i have been using the snow mode, i work in a bus yard lot of diesel spill on the slope out. Im on winter tyres as well once out of the yard just change to D.

thought id read you use it, I have used it a few times and the car does have a turn of speed. Have used paddles, and gear lever for changing. But getting lazy now.

PWR ECT i believe as most have said just improves throttle response and is more eager when you step on it, it doesn't given you anymore 'power/bhp'.

I leave mine in normal for most part because its smoother to drive, in PWR ECT, i find when i'm in traffic and i need to creep forward or go a few meters then stop, its a bit too eager.

Certainly theres no harm in leaving it in PWR ECT and i would assume it'll use a bit more fuel because it pulls away a bit faster at standstill.

You are right no extra horses, just a jerkier upshift. Seems a divided split may be people dont know the buttons there. Or just never tried it.

I think it also holds the revs to the red line. But not sure as seems pointless, but its each to their own.

I leave mine on all the time. During normal driving on flat roads it doesn't make much difference, but it does if you need to accelerate smartly. The key to smooth driving with a bit of spirit as opposed to just going with the flow is to use ECT PWR and S mode - think about what you are doing and control the gearbox. This is particularly valuable in hilly areas where you get fast straight sections followed by a slow corner with a steep uphill climb immediately after. The gearbox computer doesn't cope well in these circumstances but if you change down manually as you approach the corner - ie click down with the paddles as you approach the corner, first of all you can get smooth downshifts and you end up either in the gear you want for the section round the corner or maybe only one shift away from it. Keep the gear display showing with the disp button so you know exactly where you are and you have the uppermost gear displayed alongside the auto display. Take control with the paddles and think - IS250s can be really rewarding to drive like this.

I put this into good practice yesterday evening during a drive from Alston towards Penrith in Cumbria on the A686 - the uphill section from Alston to Hartside cafe responds particularly well to this style of driving - then the downhill part  between Hartside cafe and Melmerby is well entertaining. This is one of the best driving roads in the country - (check it out on streetmap.co.uk) - the road was almost empty and I was pressing on a bit. Sadly, it also shows up the utter inadequacy of the Lexus brakes for driving like this, even with my MTEC drilled and grooved discs and Redstuff pads, which are a huge improvement over the standard items. I am well aware of the limitations and was paying due regard, but it was still pretty heart-stopping on the final descent into Melmerby with the brakes faded away to nothing! Although to be fair, few road cars' brakes can cope with spirited driving on this and some similar roads.

There have been enormous advances in tyres, engine efficiency and electronics during the last several years - it's about time the brake designers caught up! I'll definitely be switching to Yellowstuff pads next time!

Had bad experience with red stuff pads, you need heat for effective braking. Yellowstuff was way better but I did get new discs whilst I was at it, this was on my fto.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

5 hours ago, johnatg said:

The gearbox computer doesn't cope well in these circumstances but if you change down manually as you approach the corner - ie click down with the paddles as you approach the corner, first of all you can get smooth downshifts and you end up either in the gear you want for the section round the corner or maybe only one shift away from it. Keep the gear display showing with the disp button so you know exactly where you are and you have the uppermost gear displayed alongside the auto display. Take control with the paddles and think - IS250s can be really rewarding to drive like this.

Thanks for a great post John....as always !  Is the stick in auto D as you're operating the paddles or is it in the manual mode ?  Wasn't aware that you could use paddles to force a downchange whilst in auto mode.

Not sure I have "S" mode ?

6 hours ago, johnatg said:

I leave mine on all the time. During normal driving on flat roads it doesn't make much difference, but it does if you need to accelerate smartly. The key to smooth driving with a bit of spirit as opposed to just going with the flow is to use ECT PWR and S mode - think about what you are doing and control the gearbox. This is particularly valuable in hilly areas where you get fast straight sections followed by a slow corner with a steep uphill climb immediately after. The gearbox computer doesn't cope well in these circumstances but if you change down manually as you approach the corner - ie click down with the paddles as you approach the corner, first of all you can get smooth downshifts and you end up either in the gear you want for the section round the corner or maybe only one shift away from it. Keep the gear display showing with the disp button so you know exactly where you are and you have the uppermost gear displayed alongside the auto display. Take control with the paddles and think - IS250s can be really rewarding to drive like this.

I put this into good practice yesterday evening during a drive from Alston towards Penrith in Cumbria on the A686 - the uphill section from Alston to Hartside cafe responds particularly well to this style of driving - then the downhill part  between Hartside cafe and Melmerby is well entertaining. This is one of the best driving roads in the country - (check it out on streetmap.co.uk) - the road was almost empty and I was pressing on a bit. Sadly, it also shows up the utter inadequacy of the Lexus brakes for driving like this, even with my MTEC drilled and grooved discs and Redstuff pads, which are a huge improvement over the standard items. I am well aware of the limitations and was paying due regard, but it was still pretty heart-stopping on the final descent into Melmerby with the brakes faded away to nothing! Although to be fair, few road cars' brakes can cope with spirited driving on this and some similar roads.

There have been enormous advances in tyres, engine efficiency and electronics during the last several years - it's about time the brake designers caught up! I'll definitely be switching to Yellowstuff pads next time!

I could not agree more. I'm surprised more folk haven't got into using the paddles.

57 minutes ago, steveledzep said:

Thanks for a great post John....as always !  Is the stick in auto D as you're operating the paddles or is it in the manual mode ?  Wasn't aware that you could use paddles to force a downchange whilst in auto mode.

Not sure I have "S" mode ?

Just nudge the gear stick over to the right from D. Then it's very much like driving in manual, you just don't need to be thinking about any depressing of a clutch pedal. It's really good once you've grasped how it all works.

27 minutes ago, normski2 said:

Just nudge the gear stick over to the right from D. Then it's very much like driving in manual, you just don't need to be thinking about any depressing of a clutch pedal. It's really good once you've grasped how it all works.

Thanks Normski, yes, I'm aware of this.

My question was whether the paddles work the way John describes when in auto D mode ?

Yep, my car is 2010 and I can use the paddles in D.

i don't think you will bugger anything up. But you will probably find you don't have access to 6th gear unless you slide the stick over to S.

You could take a read of the manual that came with the car ... But it takes a few reads to get it on board.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links