Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rx400h Aircon Recharge

Hi Guys

i am a new Lexus owner having just bought my first '56 plate RX400 h SEL.

I think the Aircon could do with a recharge but have noticed that a lot of my local places don't do hybrids. I have just been out and the Aircon took around twenty minutes to get cool. Can anyone in the Brighton/ Woryhing area reccomenda somewhere that can do this. I'd rather steer clear of main dealers and theor over inflated prices but am mindful that the job needs to be done correctly. I'd rather put my money in the tills of a local garage.

Any suggestions welcomed..

Thanks, Justin.

Ah right, if it's only £59 at Lexus that's better than I thought. No Lexus dealer near me but do have a Toyota main dealer so assume I could take it there.

Justin - I live near Worthing, and have always used Lexus Hedge End - they give excellent service and seem fair on prices, especially with owners club Gold membership. Have't had to have aircon done, but they have done other bits and pieces on my 08 plate 400h.

• 2 months later...

I was on the M25 yesterday when the outside temperature hit 35c.!

I was SO grateful for my air con.

I cannot imagine what it would have been like without it.

:w00t:

27 minutes ago, PCM said:

I was on the M25 yesterday when the outside temperature hit 35c.!

I was SO grateful for my air con.

I cannot imagine what it would have been like without it.

:w00t:

Me too, 33 degrees, cool as a cucumber and cool air through the seats as well, shame that didn't extend to our bedroom last night, 28 degrees at midnight!

And for any of you West Sussex people, Elite Garage in East Worthing for an air con re-gas, a good price and they know what they're doing.

• Like 2

I've been on the road for around 10 hours over the last 2 days and it's probably been the best place to be. Super-cool A/C and tinted windows. Coming back up the M40 today the temp rose from 24 to 30 in the space of about 10 miles as I got away from London. It's a hell of a shock when you finally get out, though!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Assa1974 said:

I've been on the road for around 10 hours over the last 2 days and it's probably been the best place to be. Super-cool A/C and tinted windows. Coming back up the M40 today the temp rose from 24 to 30 in the space of about 10 miles as I got away from London. It's a hell of a shock when you finally get out, though!

That's the worst part, getting out!

• 5 years later...
On 5/8/2016 at 3:44 PM, Justin.s said:

Ah right, if it's only £59 at Lexus that's better than I thought. No Lexus dealer near me but do have a Toyota main dealer so assume I could take it there.

Don't forget that Hybrids need a different oil otherwise it can get expensive so a generic regas can cause expensive issues (I'd assume a Toyota dealer should be fine).

See this thread and Herbies comments

• Like 1

I took advantage of the £35 Groupon offer of a recharge at ATS Euromaster. It's about the cheapest offer I could find.

I've had ice-cold aircon ever since they recharged it. I'm very happy. 

Not sure it includes Hybrids, but could be worth checking out. Just read the small print. The only difference is the lubricating oil.

6 minutes ago, Delphius1 said:

Not sure it includes Hybrids, but could be worth checking out. Just read the small print. The only difference is the lubricating oil.

That's true, and it sounds so trivial doesn't it?

In reality, it's been shown that as little as 1% contamination with the wrong oil can cause damage running into thousands of pounds.

I think this is the reason why some places specifically refuse to do hybrids. Ideally they should have two machines, one specifically for hybrids and the other one for non-hybrids, in order to prevent cross-contamination but I suspect that the cost of said machines is high and small places just can't afford two.

• Like 1

On 9/21/2021 at 4:01 PM, Herbie said:

In reality, it's been shown that as little as 1% contamination with the wrong oil can cause damage running into thousands of pounds.

I think this is the reason why some places specifically refuse to do hybrids. Ideally they should have two machines, one specifically for hybrids and the other one for non-hybrids, in order to prevent cross-contamination but I suspect that the cost of said machines is high and small places just can't afford two.

There's going to be an increasing number of Hybrids and fully electric vehicles on the road using the same technology and the same lubricating oil, so at some point the garages will have to cater for them. 

It's a bit short sighted to refuse to service hybrids or electric cars. I'm surprised there aren't more garages springing up to cater for them specifically.

• Like 2

On 9/21/2021 at 4:01 PM, Herbie said:

I did not realise that the oil was different. Will let you know when mine goes south! I can't imagine my guy used a special oil. Watch this space!

19 minutes ago, Spacewagon52 said:

I did not realise that the oil was different. Will let you know when mine goes south! I can't imagine my guy used a special oil. Watch this space!

Fingers crossed that he used ND11 oil David and not the 'normal' PAG oil.

The aircon compressor is driven by a 500V 3-phase AC motor and the motor windings are immersed in the oil for cooling purposes. ND11 oil doesn't conduct electricity and so is safe, but PAG oil does conduct and will damage the motor windings and eventually lead to insulation breakdown. Thankfully, safety systems are in place that will shut down the hybrid system if this occurs, otherwise there would be a danger of that high voltage tracking to earth, ie, the car body, leading to possible electrocution.

• Sad 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links