Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

IS220d exhaust parts only available from Lexus. Seriously?

The back box has recently came adrift from my car (rusted through at the join) - I thought Lexus were supposed to be well made!!

Anyway, I popped over to my local tyre & exhaust place and they can't get the part from any of their aftermarket supplier or from Toyota. It appears that they can only get the part from Lexus. At a cost of around £500. FFS!

Can anybody here point me in the direction of somebody who can supply the part at a sensible price, please?

TIA

Oh, and hello everybody! :smile:

Fraid so - Lexus have not issued the pattern parts in order for non-oem manufacture of the exhaust. Same for the IS250

Consider almost £3k fitted for centre and back boxes for the 250 - that's a slap me in the face price (almost a one year fee to put my lad through uni at that cost) but not available from anywhere else. You can find them on the web, check eBay for used or the stainless steel ones from bespoke manufacturers. I don't think used makes sense for these but on the other hand beware of the stainless ones as picking a bad one can create unwanted noise in the cabin at cruising speeds.

32 minutes ago, jackcramerr said:

is it just the hanger thats broken or the pipe is broken ? 

It's the pipe. It just sheared where the pipe enters the box

22 minutes ago, piasek said:

Used one in Poland for about £50 but to send it to UK will cos another £20-£30

http://www.allegro.pl/ShowItem2.php?item=5296295154

Interesting that the pictures you have found clearly show a Toyota part number on the boxes... Time for me to Google, I think...

I would have thought you can stick any aftermarket backbox on if you go to a decent place. 

If you want oem you're going to have to pay oem prices. 

Such a pity that quality fell off the cliff for the later Lexus models, mine is original at 22 years old.....stainless steel makes all the difference.

Have one custom made probably half the price and will outlast the rest of the car.

You can get it custom made from many places for about 40% off.. that would still be £300. When my one got broken I was quoted £680 (as there are 2 pipes on IS250) and about £350-£450 for stainless steel aftermarket. After market ones will be louder. If I would get new exhaust that would be all titanium all the way from the engine for ~£700 (from eastern EU "magic" makers).

Now said that - the first thing I have checked was - if it is rusted or just cracked weld. My one was just clean cracked (not so much rust a all) so I got it to local garage and they welded it back for £60. I would not recommend to weld if it is rusted (it will simply fail somewhere else in few month), but cracked welds are fine to be just welded back to the place.

Thanks for all the suggestions chaps.  :cool:

To those of you who suggested welding - unfortunately, I took up the RAC Man's offer to dispose of the box for me :sad:

I put my details up on First Choice Spares and I've had a few calls from breakers offering second hand.

The custom stainless suggested by @juicestop looks interesting. I've contacted them and had a long email from them in reply, so I think I'll follow that one up, too.

16 hours ago, jackcramerr said:

which car is this and what year?

Is it is250 or is220 more prone to exhuast failure?

I believe they are equally prone for rusting, but IS250 is more likely to crack, especially right side (Drivers side in UK)... obviously dual pipe setup has more welds and is heavier ... so more chances of one of those welds failing.

18 hours ago, John L G said:

To those of you who suggested welding - unfortunately, I took up the RAC Man's offer to dispose of the box for me :sad:

So just to put in simple language ... RAC man suggested he will rob you and you have agreed? ... 

Back to the topic... I guess if you get aftermarket one it will not only be cheaper, but actually will last longer. Good luck!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links