Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

hmm...

My last experience with trying out a quote was very bad... 

If one tries to get a quote on their name, that record is held against them... So I wanted to avoid it... I guess I should use a fake name and a fake reg, fake post code etc?

Hi I don,t understand ' bad experience '  I have 2 cars insured with different companies ( works out cheaper for me than multi car as I am the only driver .) I phone round to keep on top of silly renewal quotes and the only downside I have is I get a lot of E mails and phone calls on the next anniversary of the policies as they now have my contact details ,although this can work out in my favour for comparing quotes .If you are worried about details you could ask your existing insurer as you only want a guide , I would do this when considering changing a car .

Dave

Also another thing to note is, that when they run through your details they also perform a basic credit check- something they dont tell you about! I only found out once I done my credit report and found 4 checks in the same month! I normally pay annually in full.

True, but it is a so called 'soft check'.  According to Experian, it doesn't affect your credit score at all.

I tend to use comparison sites to search for my insurance, so I have lots of searches on my credit record, but still have excellent credit.

786 pointed out just tip of the ice burgh.

I had shared my last experience here. It was terrible. But summary is, soon as you do the search they keep the records and if you e.g. thought of 50 group insurance but just out of curiosity, they will file it. Now you are a potential 50 group owner and the risk can and will apply to you. This increases your insurance cost.

I know it because I have been caught once. The simple search is more than a search. It took me a lot of effort to clear it and the person at other end advised out of records, never to use own details for curiosity.

Insurance is a scam in my opinion.

• Like 1

Insurance can be a strange beast.

I have had to claim 3 points in the past for an SP30.  It made no difference to the price I was paying.  It also made no change for the subsequent 3 years I had to mention it when I did quotes.

The strangest one I have come across though is my partners insurance;  She had her door bashed in by another car when it was parked on the road overnight.  When it came to renewal time, the categories to explain this claim on the website didn't quite fit.  So, at first, we chose a non fault claim.  However, this mentioned the 3rd party paying.  So, we changed it a fault claim with her insurance paying the claim.  And you know what happened?  Her quote went down!  Yep, she paid less for her insurance even though she said it was her fault as opposed to the other party.

I gave up trying to work out insurance prices after that.

Although I can't complain at the moment since I moved from London to Hampshire and my insurance went from £700 to £350 for my IS.

I just went on compare market.com  got cheapest price of 540 from 1st central on wife name with 10 yrs ncd. Admiral my current insurer who quote me 841 also got meerkat 2 for 1 cinema tickets for whole yr looool  only took 10 mins, no point using fake details won't get right quote 

Insurance is odd. 

Just because it's a group 50 car doesn't necessarily mean it's going to be more expensive than a car in group 37

For example, my 21y.o. son was quoted £750 on a 06 Polo 1.4 80ps, £950 on a Golf 1.4 120ps and £900 on a Polo 1.4 GTI which is in more than 10 insurance groups higher. 

Insurance is odd. 

Just because it's a group 50 car doesn't necessarily mean it's going to be more expensive than a car in group 37

For example, my 21y.o. son was quoted £750 on a 06 Polo 1.4 80ps, £950 on a Golf 1.4 120ps and £900 on a Polo 1.4 GTI which is in more than 10 insurance groups higher. 

I've also been quoted a lower insurance price on a GSF than my RX. Apparently the RX is morr risky to insure as its a family hauler.

Insurance is odd. 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links