Recommended Posts

As I've said on other threads, since picking up my (brand new) NX300h in September I've had a few issues - it is now officially known in my family as the 'timeshare' car, because I have it for a few days then the dealer has it for a few days...:wacko:.  I've actually had my own car for about 6 weeks out of my total ownership of about 16 weeks.

Anyway, over the period Lexus Swindon - who have been generally very supportive - have supplied a number of lovely courtesy cars for me to use. I've since formed a very positive impression of the range as a whole.

Car 1 - IS300h Advance - 2 weeks. I liked this one, but it caused me some issues as it was a bit low for me (I suffer from some mobility issues). As a car it was a high quality thing and good to drive too. I didn't much like the foot operated parking brake but that was about it. Why so many people continue to buy a BMW 3-Series when this is available is a mystery to me.

Car 2 - NX300h F-Sport - 10 weeks. My least favourite of the cars I've had. Don't get me wrong, I like the NX a lot, but wasn't a fan of the F-Sport version. I found the seats too hard, the ride too firm and it was much noisier than my Sport model, likely caused by the tyres. The extra tech was nice, but not nice enough to convince me that I'd rather have an F-Sport over a Sport, Luxury or Premier.

Car 3 - RX450h F-Sport - 3 days. A weird one this. The interior is a thing of beauty and quality, but the drive left me disappointed. I found the steering very remote - to the point that I found the car hard to place on the road with confidence - and I was surprised how noisy it was at motorway speeds. The ride was also too firm for me. Again, the extra tech was excellent, but overall the experience left me a bit 'cold' and the car was a bit big for me to feel comfortable driving in tight situations. A lovely car though, and certainly gets noticed!

Car 4 - GS300h Premier - today. Well, this is the first of the courtesy cars that I'd happily have in place of my NX. (TBH I'd have the RX as well if it was on offer!). What a lovely car. So smooth, so quiet, so comfortable. I'm a big fan.

Having had all of the above, I think all of them stand up to the competition very well. They are certainly beautifully made - especially the interiors - and generally nice to drive. I think if more people properly considered a Lexus, you'd see far more on the road - but the UK's obsession with 'premium' German brands shows no sign of reducing any time soon, which is a real shame.

 

 

 

fullsizeoutput_328.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_30c.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_326.jpeg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Well they do say every cloud has a silver lining but I'm sure you could have done without the hassle of having to keep visiting the dealership.

You are preaching to the converted but like you I am mystified as to how a BMW and Audi continue to dominate when the IS and GS are available but I suppose press coverage is largely to blame.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bobmc said:

Well they do say every cloud has a silver lining but I'm sure you could have done without the hassle of having to keep visiting the dealership.

You are preaching to the converted but like you I am mystified as to how a BMW and Audi continue to dominate when the IS and GS are available but I suppose press coverage is largely to blame.

 

 

The funny thing is that this hasn't really put me off the brand, mainly because I really like my NX. If I didn't I'd have pushed for a replacement by now, and although we've had that discussion I'm comfortable at the moment to see whether today finally fixes the last of the issues. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 1/26/2018 at 12:42 PM, First_Lexus said:

The funny thing is that this hasn't really put me off the brand, mainly because I really like my NX. If I didn't I'd have pushed for a replacement by now, and although we've had that discussion I'm comfortable at the moment to see whether today finally fixes the last of the issues. 

I agree with you wholeheartedly about the IS 300h. I bought a 2013 300h Premier last August, and I have been very pleased with it. But I would have agree that it is quite low. I have a rather iffy hip and it is surprising how awkward it can be to get into the car. I had an Merc E 220 cdi [i.e. diesel] for six years prior to buying the 300h, and I didn't have any problem getting in or out of the car. When I test drove the 300h I didn't notice how low the seats were, but for all that I really like the car.

For me, the deal-breaker was having the memory seats in the Premier model, and the car had to have cream interior. I hate black leather interiors and I turned down Mercedes E-classes, BMW 5 series, and Audi A6's, all because not one of the cars that I looked at had cream leather. Jaguar XF was the only other choice, and the driving position for my wife meant that seats in the Jaguar were too low, at full height adjustment, for her to see clearly over the bonnet.

Parkman.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well Ed, the neighbourhood now surely thinks you are working for Lexus with all these different cars in such a short time!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting - the only ones you have left to try are the CT and the RC taking into account they probably won't give you an LS or LC!

What actually happened with your NX btw?

Im surprised you found the RX noisy - mine is like a vault no matter what speed Im going - and yes I did max it out once, only once, I mean you have to at some point!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rayaans said:

Interesting - the only ones you have left to try are the CT and the RC taking into account they probably won't give you an LS or LC!

What actually happened with your NX btw?

Im surprised you found the RX noisy - mine is like a vault no matter what speed Im going - and yes I did max it out once, only once, I mean you have to at some point!

I was actually offered the RC500 demonstrator for a couple of days but chose to take the RX instead as I couldn't get in or out of the LC easily! Or at all...:wallbash:

Perhaps the RX wasn't noisy - it was just noisier than I expected on the motorway, being not significantly quieter than my NX Sport. It was an F-Sport, and as with the NX F-Sport I had, I feel I would prefer the softer (and quieter?) nature of a Luxury model.

I agreed with Lexus that I wouldn't say much about the fault with my NX. What I will say is that it was a surprising defect - especially on a Lexus - that should have been spotted at the factory. It also took a while for Lexus and Lexus Swindon to work out what the issue was, mainly because they'd never seen a manufacturing fault like it before. It was relatively minor though, and I agreed to keep the car (because I like it) and accept goodwill rather than seek a replacement - and the replacement option was discussed. Now it's fixed, that seems to have been the right decision. Fingers crossed.

Lexus Swindon, barring a couple of minor instances where the car was delivered back dirty inside (which was rectified and then some!), were excellent all the way through as were Lexus UK. When you have a problem, you find out whether the company cares. From my experience, Lexus does really care.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It was the LC500 they offered me rather than the RC. Amazing looking car in red metallic. That really would have made my neighbours talk...:whistling1:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, First_Lexus said:

I was actually offered the RC500 demonstrator for a couple of days but chose to take the RX instead as I couldn't get in or out of the LC easily! Or at all...:wallbash:

Perhaps the RX wasn't noisy - it was just noisier than I expected on the motorway, being not significantly quieter than my NX Sport. It was an F-Sport, and as with the NX F-Sport I had, I feel I would prefer the softer (and quieter?) nature of a Luxury model.

I agreed with Lexus that I wouldn't say much about the fault with my NX. What I will say is that it was a surprising defect - especially on a Lexus - that should have been spotted at the factory. It also took a while for Lexus and Lexus Swindon to work out what the issue was, mainly because they'd never seen a manufacturing fault like it before. It was relatively minor though, and I agreed to keep the car (because I like it) and accept goodwill rather than seek a replacement - and the replacement option was discussed. Now it's fixed, that seems to have been the right decision. Fingers crossed.

Lexus Swindon, barring a couple of minor instances where the car was delivered back dirty inside (which was rectified and then some!), were excellent all the way through as were Lexus UK. When you have a problem, you find out whether the company cares. From my experience, Lexus does really care.

 

So what actually happened?

An agreement not to disclose doesn't make a difference unless you've signed for it lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, First_Lexus said:

I was actually offered the RC500 demonstrator for a couple of days but chose to take the RX instead as I couldn't get in or out of the LC easily! Or at all...:wallbash:

Perhaps the RX wasn't noisy - it was just noisier than I expected on the motorway, being not significantly quieter than my NX Sport. It was an F-Sport, and as with the NX F-Sport I had, I feel I would prefer the softer (and quieter?) nature of a Luxury model.

I agreed with Lexus that I wouldn't say much about the fault with my NX. What I will say is that it was a surprising defect - especially on a Lexus - that should have been spotted at the factory. It also took a while for Lexus and Lexus Swindon to work out what the issue was, mainly because they'd never seen a manufacturing fault like it before. It was relatively minor though, and I agreed to keep the car (because I like it) and accept goodwill rather than seek a replacement - and the replacement option was discussed. Now it's fixed, that seems to have been the right decision. Fingers crossed.

Lexus Swindon, barring a couple of minor instances where the car was delivered back dirty inside (which was rectified and then some!), were excellent all the way through as were Lexus UK. When you have a problem, you find out whether the company cares. From my experience, Lexus does really care.

 

Ed, I’ve very sympathy with your past troubles on your NX. I know what you must have gone through after my experience with my Honda CRV - this you will probably recall from my listings on Honda Karma. In the end I had no complaints regarding the service and care offered to me by the dealer and Honda UK.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/3/2018 at 3:42 PM, First_Lexus said:

I was actually offered the RC500 demonstrator for a couple of days but chose to take the RX instead as I couldn't get in or out of the LC easily! Or at all...:wallbash:

Perhaps the RX wasn't noisy - it was just noisier than I expected on the motorway, being not significantly quieter than my NX Sport. It was an F-Sport, and as with the NX F-Sport I had, I feel I would prefer the softer (and quieter?) nature of a Luxury model.

I agreed with Lexus that I wouldn't say much about the fault with my NX. What I will say is that it was a surprising defect - especially on a Lexus - that should have been spotted at the factory. It also took a while for Lexus and Lexus Swindon to work out what the issue was, mainly because they'd never seen a manufacturing fault like it before. It was relatively minor though, and I agreed to keep the car (because I like it) and accept goodwill rather than seek a replacement - and the replacement option was discussed. Now it's fixed, that seems to have been the right decision. Fingers crossed.

Lexus Swindon, barring a couple of minor instances where the car was delivered back dirty inside (which was rectified and then some!), were excellent all the way through as were Lexus UK. When you have a problem, you find out whether the company cares. From my experience, Lexus does really care.

 

Good for you. I'm never sure it helps smearing manufacturers and dealerships on social media. Glad you got it fixed. My fingers are crossed too!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That’s why we end up staying with Lexus because their CS is miles ahead in our experience which JD seeems to concur with.

I would have needed counciling after not being able to have an LC 500 for a couple of days when offered ...then again I would have required it anyway after handing it back🙄.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now