Recommended Posts

Just after some opinions on the LS400 for sale in the link below.

Do you think it’s worth 9k? I’m looking for a decent mk4 but 9k...........don’t get me wrong, it’s a stunning car and looks like it belongs in a car collection, not used daily as I would use it.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F223312080918

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Such a good looking car! Looks like very well looked after.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Vlady said:

Such a good looking car! Looks like very well looked after.

I seem to feel that it has been advertised previously and perhaps did not sell ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've seen it on eBay many times.  Same seller too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He's been trying to sell that one (and another 110k mile one for circa £4k) for a year or more. So, I think the market it answering your question... no, it is not worth £9k. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That was my feeling but it does look an excellent example and that commands a premium I suppose. It looks ‘as new’ as you could reasonably expect given the mileage etc. Maybe looking at it from the perspective of the original purchase price/condition/mileage, 9k isn’t it’s too bad but as you say the market dictates what a car is worth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Razor61 said:

Just after some opinions on the LS400 for sale in the link below.

Do you think it’s worth 9k? I’m looking for a decent mk4 but 9k...........don’t get me wrong, it’s a stunning car and looks like it belongs in a car collection, not used daily as I would use it.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F223312080918

Nine thousand without any warranty requires a huge leap of faith.

The MOT record cannot be seen as the plate shown is not recognised by  the GOV system.

It is arguable as to whether the seller is a Trader as one look at his selling record on ebay tells you that he is active in the motoring market.

Much information is not being presented by the seller in my view.

Caveat Emptor!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bear in mind, he is a car dealer (he also has an Audi for sale on ebay), not a private owner, despite how he tries to word the advert. That car does look beautiful, but it will have been highly valeted and polished for those pictures. He's hoping there will be a LS400 enthusiast buyer out there with a 'I don't care what it costs as long as it's mint' attitude.... he may well find that buyer if he is very patient. John..., the MOT history is available on the original plate (in his advert text) R71VOY

There was a 1 owner mint green full Lex service history LS400 with 58,000 miles on Autotrader last week, dealer sale. OK, It was Cat N with some light fender bender damage to front, but manageable and the rest of the car looked pretty sweet.... £2499 !!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Stupot said:

Bear in mind, he is a car dealer (he also has an Audi for sale on ebay), not a private owner, despite how he tries to word the advert. That car does look beautiful, but it will have been highly valeted and polished for those pictures. He's hoping there will be a LS400 enthusiast buyer out there with a 'I don't care what it costs as long as it's mint' attitude.... he may well find that buyer if he is very patient. John..., the MOT history is available on the original plate (in his advert text) R71VOY

There was a 1 owner mint green full Lex service history LS400 with 58,000 miles on Autotrader last week, dealer sale. OK, It was Cat N with some light fender bender damage to front, but manageable and the rest of the car looked pretty sweet.... £2499 !!!

Many thanks Stu.

The MOT history is very good and his Trader Status means a Statutory Warranty  covers significant problems within 6 months of purchase, but I still think that the asking price is way too high. No doubt he will advertise it repeatedly until someone comes along wishing to bag what appears to them to be a bargain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, £9k is well over the market price and, as others have said, it has been unsold for over a year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Stupot said:

This LS430 looks like a better buy to me and even this one has been for sale for a few weeks. It's just been re-advertised. 1 owner, 41,000 miles... looks lovely.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lexus-LS-430-4-3-Automatic/173724442766?hash=item2872c8a08e:g:yEwAAOSwcqxcAQWl:rk:2:pf:0

Many thanks for all the comments and opinions, I originally started looking at the LS430, my interest all stems from having an IS200 as a company car 2003 - 2007. The mrs loved driving it and I really liked it, I went from that to a car allowance and buying my own car (BMW E36 M3). When I first went to the Lexus garage in 2003 I looked at a brand new LS430 and was amazed at the quality, spec and all the toys. I now quite fancy the idea of a LS400 mk4, I do a lot of mechanical work myself so that side doesn’t bother me at all although doing a cam belt change may be beyond my skill but I don’t think so.

Thanks again to everyone for all the comments and advice, I’ll keep looking for right one but not for 9k. There is another LS400 for sale 10 miles away from me, link below, it’s not a mk4 but I’ll pop down and have a look.

https://www.stellarmotorcompany.co.uk/used-cars/lexus-ls-400-4-0-4dr-bolton-201807188558587

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He's been trying to sell that ls400 for about 2 years. 9k is alot of money for an ls400. There was someone on here a few years ago that bought one for over 10k lol, it wasn't worth it but there you go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

to my mind it only makes sense paying dopey money for such a car if you're going to keep it in aspic and never get the joy from using it :Jumpy:

and that's dopey too really ......  mine's at 217k and a daily driver at 12/15k miles a year AND I get enormous joy and satisfaction from driving her :yahoo:

Malc

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think its stunning and worth the money.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, jazz&coffee said:

I think its stunning and worth the money.

And you just up the road from him in Perthshire....... convenient

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with all comments.

There’s a figure for not quite classic but lot of motor for the money motors...it’ll be priced up at £7,995.

I might pay a negotiated amount off this for a Mk4 Year 2000 in the right colour and a dealer history.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good evening everyone. Well, it looks like my car has made the headlines again!

I am the owner and the one selling it.  Nice to see some of the members appreciate the car for what it is.  

I think a few direct replies are in order:

11 hours ago, Razor61 said:

Just after some opinions on the LS400 for sale in the link below.

Do you think it’s worth 9k? I’m looking for a decent mk4 but 9k...........don’t get me wrong, it’s a stunning car and looks like it belongs in a car collection, not used daily as I would use it.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F223312080918

Firstly, thank you Razor61 for your kind comments on the condition.  Its actually been a private collection vehicle for over the last ten years (previous owner) including myself.  Its not been a daily driver, but why not make it one?  Life is for living.  

Regarding its value, well its like most things in life.  My view is you only get what you pay for.  Then there is the fact that it is a rather nice car, rare DHP specification, low mileage, condition etc.  I have a track record of owning, using, restoring and selling the LS400.  Many times my cars appear on this forum to be talked about, a lot (not everyone) say they are over priced, yet I have sold enough of them to know what can and can not be achieved.  Every one I have had has sold to someone who appreciates the car and the examples I have had, to the point that they bought them.  I only use/sell nice cars, and this is one is no exception.

If you have a change of heart then please let me know.

10 hours ago, Vlady said:

Such a good looking car! Looks like very well looked after.

Thank you Vlady!  Very much appreciated.

9 hours ago, Stupot said:

He's been trying to sell that one (and another 110k mile one for circa £4k) for a year or more. So, I think the market it answering your question... no, it is not worth £9k. 

Not quite. I started advertising this one in August last year.  The 110k model sold to gentleman in the west of Scotland.  A true gentleman he was too with a great knowledge and passion for classic cars.  I also sold my Father's Astral Black LS400 last year as well to a gentleman in Brighton for not much less than this Cashmere one (not that it matters what it sold for).  The market as you say can dictate pricing, but then you have to be in the market to know how its performing. Someone else will come along with one, its only a matter of time.

8 hours ago, Razor61 said:

That was my feeling but it does look an excellent example and that commands a premium I suppose. It looks ‘as new’ as you could reasonably expect given the mileage etc. Maybe looking at it from the perspective of the original purchase price/condition/mileage, 9k isn’t it’s too bad but as you say the market dictates what a car is worth.

When something is rare, it commands a price.  Mileage, condition, history and demand also plays a significant role.  No one needs an LS400.  In fact, no one needs a Lexus.  We all want to buy what we want to have.  I buy what I like and admire.  When you consider values of Porsche's, vintage BMW's, even classic Range Rover's they have all shot up in price.  Some don't sell right away and prices need to be adjusted, but cars are like art and if its a good example then values are going to be more than the run of the mill.

 

8 hours ago, royoftherovers said:

Nine thousand without any warranty requires a huge leap of faith.

The MOT record cannot be seen as the plate shown is not recognised by  the GOV system.

It is arguable as to whether the seller is a Trader as one look at his selling record on ebay tells you that he is active in the motoring market.

Much information is not being presented by the seller in my view.

Caveat Emptor!

Royoftherovers, I could say a few things here but I will restrain myself.  For the avoidance of doubt though and for the benefit of having a fair playing field in being able to defend myself I am letting everyone know that I am the registered owner of the car and have been for nearly two years.  I am a car collector not a full blown trader with a dealership or a dodgy back street garage.  I on occasion buy cars with the intention to sell and I am up front with everyone I deal with.

8 hours ago, Stupot said:

Bear in mind, he is a car dealer (he also has an Audi for sale on ebay), not a private owner, despite how he tries to word the advert. That car does look beautiful, but it will have been highly valeted and polished for those pictures. He's hoping there will be a LS400 enthusiast buyer out there with a 'I don't care what it costs as long as it's mint' attitude.... he may well find that buyer if he is very patient. John..., the MOT history is available on the original plate (in his advert text) R71VOY

There was a 1 owner mint green full Lex service history LS400 with 58,000 miles on Autotrader last week, dealer sale. OK, It was Cat N with some light fender bender damage to front, but manageable and the rest of the car looked pretty sweet.... £2499 !!!

Thank you for your comments Stupot, but again my ownership has been explained above.  You are right though, I only need one to buy it.  Just one.

6 hours ago, jpjsavage said:

Yes, £9k is well over the market price and, as others have said, it has been unsold for over a year. 

Jpjsavage, not quite a year yet.  I do appreciate your view on my car being 'over the market price' but if you can tell me what the market price is that would be great (ideally those under 100,000 miles).  I think some knowledge on the LS400 market is needed.  Currently the market as I see it is around 30 cars in total.  I do recall your LS600 purchase well.  A lot of car for the money.  Did they re-spray the passenger side for you as I do remember seeing the doors were a different shade of silver?  You actually got in touch about two of my cars before but alas we did not have deal between us.

5 hours ago, Razor61 said:

Many thanks for all the comments and opinions, I originally started looking at the LS430, my interest all stems from having an IS200 as a company car 2003 - 2007. The mrs loved driving it and I really liked it, I went from that to a car allowance and buying my own car (BMW E36 M3). When I first went to the Lexus garage in 2003 I looked at a brand new LS430 and was amazed at the quality, spec and all the toys. I now quite fancy the idea of a LS400 mk4, I do a lot of mechanical work myself so that side doesn’t bother me at all although doing a cam belt change may be beyond my skill but I don’t think so.

Thanks again to everyone for all the comments and advice, I’ll keep looking for right one but not for 9k. There is another LS400 for sale 10 miles away from me, link below, it’s not a mk4 but I’ll pop down and have a look.

https://www.stellarmotorcompany.co.uk/used-cars/lexus-ls-400-4-0-4dr-bolton-201807188558587

 

Interesting.  I remember the car being advertised for £2,500 and within an hour it was sold.  How did the seller get his asking price?  Only £3,000 between a Mk3 and Mk4 DHP - not an awful lot in my opinion.

5 hours ago, messi said:

He's been trying to sell that ls400 for about 2 years. 9k is alot of money for an ls400. There was someone on here a few years ago that bought one for over 10k lol, it wasn't worth it but there you go.

Again, not quite two years Messi.  I sold one of my Mk4 DHP's with 28,000 miles to a dealer called T.H.Boler for £9,000.  He sold it for £13,000 two weeks later.  Figure that one out!

2 hours ago, Malc said:

to my mind it only makes sense paying dopey money for such a car if you're going to keep it in aspic and never get the joy from using it :Jumpy:

and that's dopey too really ......  mine's at 217k and a daily driver at 12/15k miles a year AND I get enormous joy and satisfaction from driving her :yahoo:

Malc

You see Malc, you just hit the nail in the head.  Your running a 217k mile LS400 and using it every day, good for you!  Now, someone could have mine and be driving a very smart and rare modern classic knowing that it could reach over 200,000 miles and knowing that using it every day and doing 15k a year would mean there is potentially another ten years worth of motoring left in it before it reaches your mileage.  And, it only costs them £8,995 for such a wonderful machine!  What great cars these are indeed!

2 hours ago, jazz&coffee said:

I think its stunning and worth the money.

Thank you Jazz&coffee, very kind of you to say so.

All the best everyone.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great to get such a detailed response! Brilliant indeed. 

As for the LS600h, no accident damage at all, nothing in the history (all Lexus about anything like that) and colour variation must have been in the photo as in the flesh it is immaculate. 

Good luck with the sale of your car which does look superb. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, theflyingscotsman said:

Firstly, thank you Razor61 for your kind comments on the condition.  Its actually been a private collection vehicle for over the last ten years (previous owner) including myself.  Its not been a daily driver, but why not make it one?  Life is for living.  

Regarding its value, well its like most things in life.  My view is you only get what you pay for.  Then there is the fact that it is a rather nice car, rare DHP specification, low mileage, condition etc.  I have a track record of owning, using, restoring and selling the LS400.  Many times my cars appear on this forum to be talked about, a lot (not everyone) say they are over priced, yet I have sold enough of them to know what can and can not be achieved.  Every one I have had has sold to someone who appreciates the car and the examples I have had, to the point that they bought them.  I only use/sell nice cars, and this is one is no exception.

 If you have a change of heart then please let me know

theflyingscotsman - credit were credit is due, I don’t think anyone can argue how good the car looks/is. I’m a bit surprised how many comments/debate this has produced though, but obviously you’re not😉 For the last 10 years or so I’ve had BMW M3’s so I know a fair bit about them. I did create a reply earlier saying that a 1998 BMW E36 M3 in the same condition and mileage etc would be a hell of a lot more than 9k to buy but I didn’t post it, didn’t feel it was appropriate and you can’t always compare different makes/models. Posted it now though😀

For me, at the moment, I don’t want to spend 9k on such a good LS400 and use it daily (80 mile daily commute to work) and it would literally be a ‘work’ car. I may change my mind during the search for one and I will get in touch if that’s the case thanks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Flying Scotsman for replying to this thread to give us your sellers perspective and some dealer insight into higher end of the market for LS400, all interesting stuff.

As a non car trade casual armchair observer of the market I can only guess at the market price by observing vehicles for sale, their asking price / verses and how quickly they seem to sell. Whereas dealers have more access to actual selling price data. My observations on the LS400 market at the moment (and it's always changing) is that once the mileage goes over about 140,000, they become less and less appealing unless they are in exceptional condition with great service history. Very low mileage and very nice examples such as yours, well, it's not so much about asking the market price because the market is small, thus a price is hard to judge. Instead, it seems to become a fishing expedition, waiting patiently for that one bite... and indeed, your bate looks mighty fine, so good luck with your sale. :thumbsup:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, theflyingscotsman said:

You see Malc, you just hit the nail in the head.  Your running a 217k mile LS400 and using it every day, good for you!  Now, someone could have mine and be driving a very smart and rare modern classic knowing that it could reach over 200,000 miles and knowing that using it every day and doing 15k a year would mean there is potentially another ten years worth of motoring left in it before it reaches your mileage.  And, it only costs them £8,995 for such a wonderful machine!  What great cars these are indeed!

and I'm fully expecting at least another 150k miles from mine with judicious servicing etc .........  does that make mine worth £8995 I wonder  :yahoo:

Malc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well my one has 95000 miles on it, must be worth about £6000 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Malc said:

and I'm fully expecting at least another 150k miles from mine with judicious servicing etc .........  does that make mine worth £8995 I wonder  :yahoo:

Malc

If you are good at selling then anything is possible.

37 minutes ago, messi said:

Well my one has 95000 miles on it, must be worth about £6000 

Maybe Messi, I sold one with 102k for £6000 just last year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, theflyingscotsman said:

If you are good at selling then anything is possible.

not sure that's quite right :whistling:

Bottom line is what's it worth with the insurance company following a write-off

Malc

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.