Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

What did you do to your Lexus today.

11 minutes ago, Malc1 said:

Well done getting them out  ..........  now to get them back in ok 🙃

Malc

I would be hesitant to say I'm a pro, but I had them in and out several times whilst trying to make my mind up on what to do 😆, the bigger question is, can remember the safe place I stored all the bolts...

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, hockeyedwards said:

the bigger question is, can remember the safe place I stored all the bolts...

with your " nuts "           🤣

Malc

• Haha 2

What did I do with my lexus today, took a huge gamble. Dropped my LS430 off at Lexus Edinburgh, all very efficient and polite. Courtesy coffee given. Went through list of work for approval and mot test. Got a video walk around of my LS430 and faults. Lexus discovered a leaking core plug 😬. Other bad news is condenser on air-con has no cooling fins but still in working order no leaks, steering rack gaiter torn (out of stock so lexus is getting me one from a motor factor 🙄), near side wheel bearing has excessive play (never felt or heard it), brake pipe corrosion, high level brake light bulb out. Now comes the biggy bushes are worn in rear trailing arms. Lexus do not replace bushes only complete arms. Pair fitted is £2500 but not avaliable until July at earliest. MOT is booked in for Friday. Lexus has decided with my agreement carry on with MOT Test and see if a get an advisory on trailing arm bushes.Now in hindsight I should of booked MOT first then decided what to do with my LS430. Knew it would need some repairs when I bought it so was prepared to sink a few thousand into it. A few thousand has turned into a lot of thousands. If my LS430 fails MOT I will have to see if they will let me drive it away, so I can get it sorted at home. If not it's going to fun trying to get to work for Saturday night. One way of looking at this is I could of paid a few thousand for an LS430 and still been in same boat. Repairs will be up to lexus quality standard. Comments good bad and ugly most welcome, blunt comments greatly appreciated as I prefer a straight answer to straight question with no faffing about. A spade is spade 🙂

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, DJT said:

What did I do with my lexus today, took a huge gamble. Dropped my LS430 off at Lexus Edinburgh, all very efficient and polite. Courtesy coffee given. Went through list of work for approval and mot test. Got a video walk around of my LS430 and faults. Lexus discovered a leaking core plug 😬. Other bad news is condenser on air-con has no cooling fins but still in working order no leaks, steering rack gaiter torn (out of stock so lexus is getting me one from a motor factor 🙄), near side wheel bearing has excessive play (never felt or heard it), brake pipe corrosion, high level brake light bulb out. Now comes the biggy bushes are worn in rear trailing arms. Lexus do not replace bushes only complete arms. Pair fitted is £2500 but not avaliable until July at earliest. MOT is booked in for Friday. Lexus has decided with my agreement carry on with MOT Test and see if a get an advisory on trailing arm bushes.Now in hindsight I should of booked MOT first then decided what to do with my LS430. Knew it would need some repairs when I bought it so was prepared to sink a few thousand into it. A few thousand has turned into a lot of thousands. If my LS430 fails MOT I will have to see if they will let me drive it away, so I can get it sorted at home. If not it's going to fun trying to get to work for Saturday night. One way of looking at this is I could of paid a few thousand for an LS430 and still been in same boat. Repairs will be up to lexus quality standard. Comments good bad and ugly most welcome, blunt comments greatly appreciated as I prefer a straight answer to straight question with no faffing about. A spade is spade 🙂

Am I right in thinking the car is 19 years old?

What I did with my Lexus today..... Took it to the dealer I bought it from to analyse an annoying squeak. Only happens when coming off a reasonable journey then slowing down to a crawl. Not consistent and not predictable so I expected the usual 'Sorry but we can't replicate' line, which of course I received!

No Coffee, machine was out-of-service, no biscuit and although I asked their agent to let service know that I didn't want my car washing, they do this first (why?) but is was washed and polished the night before!

Anyway, at home and after watching 'Dash Cam Cops' or such like I remembered that I had followed a lorry spewing grain/dust/sand all over the road and thought I would download the file from my own dash cam. Sadly the vid wasn't that interesting but the one of my car being Dirven by a Lewis Hamilton wanabe at speeds three times over the speed limit (20mph zone near work units) was very interesting indeed. I also like the part where he slams the brakes on and comes to a stop and says "I can't hear F**k all" - needless to say I know where my next service will definitely not be going!

• Like 1

ŴVHC.pdfVHC.pdfLmafudd yes you are right car is 19 years old, 333000 miles on clock. Body wise it is immaculate even technician on video walk around said i had superficial rust. Bought with known issues for handbrake, so expected issues mainly in braking dept as I had warnings in written and big red triangle on dash. Which I remedied by replacing "cut" brske wear sensors 🤔. Test drive before purchase never gave any indication of wheel bearing or back end feeling "sloppy/loose". The 230 mile drive to dealer from very far north of Scotland to Edinburgh was very smooth and relaxing. Even booting it off the line it went like stink with no tugging or steering correction nesscary. I now understand that technicians that work for lexus as marque err on the side of caution. The sheet listing everything that needed to be fixed comes in 3 different groups. Nesscary, recommend and OK. To be fair to lexus they didn't find a lot wrong. See if I can attach inspection sheet and video of my car. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, DJT said:

Pair fitted is £2500 but not avaliable until July at earliest.

suggest you bypass these guys and get from Amayama / Rockauto and have them fitted independently  .  you might well save £1 / 1.5 k in this process alone

Malc

• Like 1

.  and simply remove the exhaust heat shields .  maybe like mine, which were simply not really necessary for the good and safe operation of my car ......  being" redundant "

Malc

• Like 1

Just simply truly remarkable for 333k miles and 19 years young ...  and probably a steal at the price paid methinks

Well done

Malc

• Like 2

Today I finished preparing Bombproof Betty for the Centenary Le Mans. It's taken a while, was a little challenging at times, but has been a highly enjoyable process, I've made new friends along the way and discovered a bomb detector:o)

I wanted to restore an already lovely car (thanks Antony) into my daily driver "from here to eternity".

The list of work includes replacing rocker gasket covers, auxiliary belt, rear brake pads & shoes, front brake pads, old hoses, fixing coolant and water leaks, adding a new temperature sensor and gasket thermostat, cleaning the throttle body, refurbishing wheels, dent removal, paint restoration and detailing

There's still more work still to be done I'm very happy to say, that will keep me occupied and out of trouble for a while yet.                    

2023-06-07 19.53.31.jpg

2023-06-07 19.53.43.jpg

2023-06-07 19.54.04.jpg

2023-06-07 19.54.15.jpg

2023-06-07 20.34.08.jpg

2023-06-07 20.34.39.jpg

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Malc1 said:

and probably a steal at the price paid methinks

David, how much was it again  ???

AND the bodywork looks absolutely GREAT nay STUNNING, a credit to it's prior owner over 333k miles for sure

Will be a pleasure to see her, oh and you of course 😅 ....... when our ship docks at Scrabster that day in July

I'm buying 24/7 wifi on board so I can check in here ok ..... .  and as an aside, I'll be needing it for my business even whilst on holiday 😇

Malc

• Like 1

Booked my car with the Lexus dealer to replace the AFS sensor on 5th July (the earliest available date). In April I replaced the rear shocks. I hope nothing else needed for some time. 

• Like 1

Malc1 glad you think my LS430 looks good for its age and mileage. It passed its MOT today with 2 advisories. Near side rear upper ball joint slight play and off side front upper ball joint. Get those sorted when I'm back home. It will be good for you to see my LS430 and me 😂

• Like 2

Malc1 price of my LS430 was £1k originally owner wanted over £1500. With final bill for repairs and servicing I've probably still got a good deal. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DJT said:

Lmafudd is larger memory card to record more cases of mechanics driving your car without respect. 

Probably but mainly because by the time I remember to look at the card the thing I want to see has been written over! 

16 hours ago, DJT said:

2 advisories. Near side rear upper ball joint slight play and off side front upper ball joint.

might you have the service records showing when these were last replaced  ?   That might reveal if they really do need sorting before the next MOT between now and the mileage you're likely to cover, to the next MOT  .  just a thought !

When mine went on my Ls400 all those years back, the first front nearside copped it at @145k miles and the rest, the other 3 at @ 200k miles   Yours must surely have already been replaced ? and I'm assuming with Main Dealer Lexus parts too knowing the history of your great looking steed

Malc

• Like 1

On 6/7/2023 at 7:05 PM, DJT said:

...A spade is spade 🙂

I would definitely get the view of a trusted independent.

Lexus seem to recommend everything gets changed if it's a 'health check'.

I would also check for corrosion underneath. It was rust that killed my car, finally - an RX300.

It might help you decide how much to budget for etc?

Good luck.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links