Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Dropping the headlining a little bit. Chasing a noise!

Would anyone know how to drop the headlining a little bit as it buts up to the rear window?

Absolute last resort but I'm chasing something loose that is sliding about somewhere inside the car and this is just about the last place to look. Checked under the seats, boot floor, under the rear seat base, under the parcel shelf as much as I can see. It slides back when I accelerate and slides forward when I brake.

Any ideas what it could be and how I might tackle the headlining if it comes to that?

I had this and it turned out to be a 2p coin my better half had dropped in the bottom of the passenger door pocket. :taz:
VERY unlikely to be in the headlining unless something has broken off the sunroof mechanism.

Ha! Once had that on a V70. A 10p dropped down behind the door card when the window was open. Door cards aren't quite as easy to get off on a Volvo as a Lexus!

I'll check the door pockets again but there was nothing in them last time I looked. There is a metallic rattle if I tap the headlining above the middle of the rear seat but not sure if that's what's moving. Sunroof operates just fine. It did it again this morning and it sounds like something with some weight sliding on a hard surface. 

32 minutes ago, rich1068 said:

Ha! Once had that on a V70. A 10p dropped down behind the door card when the window was open. Door cards aren't quite as easy to get off on a Volvo as a Lexus!

I'll check the door pockets again but there was nothing in them last time I looked. There is a metallic rattle if I tap the headlining above the middle of the rear seat but not sure if that's what's moving. Sunroof operates just fine. It did it again this morning and it sounds like something with some weight sliding on a hard surface. 

Wayyy back in time I bought a 69 Chevy that had been parked up for two years, after we got it started I drove it round the streets and on every corner there was a gentle knocking sound.  It took an age to eventually discover one rear wing was full of water, and somehow, and that's always been the mystery, there was a bakelite ashtray floating on the surface hitting the side!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Malc said:

it's not an exhaust heat shield moving slightly and scraping / rattling ?

Malc

Nope. Definitely inside the car. Imagine holding a wooden tray and placing an object on it. Say your mobile phone. Tilt the tray from side to side and it's that noise.

2 hours ago, PCM said:

... or something that's rolled into a floor air vent at the back?

Had crossed my mind. Dave said he'd come across coins etc that had gone down the centre vent but I've had that to bits. And it's a heavier noise.

Thinking about the headlining too, unless the back of it is solid rather than some sort of fabric then I wouldn't get the sliding noise either. Argh!

• Like 1

Get a cheap stethoscope, get someone else to drive you around making whatever it is slide around and try to localise the sound with the stethoscope.
You will get some funny looks from anyone who sees ya doing it though 🤣

I had a buzzing sound on my Carlton and it turned out to be on the rear parcel shelf.
One of the posts that held down one of the speaker grilles had broken and was buzzing around in the clip.
Removed it and ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh :clapping:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BigBoomer said:

my Carlton

blimey, makes me think back

I had a Vauxhall Carlton 1.8 as my bank manager's car back in 1988 and in the 3 years before being made redundant in '91   I did 60k miles but only 60 miles on bank business ( I worked in the City ) and she went to a local garage owner who wanted to keep her going after some 216k miles with me ....  lots of that touring Europe .........  wot a mileage eh !

She died of too much impossible rust he told me, at the rear end some months after taking her off my hands

Malc

sorry I reminisce 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Malc said:

blimey, makes me think back

I had a Vauxhall Carlton 1.8 as my bank manager's car back in 1988 and in the 3 years before being made redundant in '91   I did 60k miles but only 60 miles on bank business ( I worked in the City ) and she went to a local garage owner who wanted to keep her going after some 216k miles with me ....  lots of that touring Europe .........  wot a mileage eh !

She died of too much impossible rust he told me, at the rear end some months after taking her off my hands

Malc

sorry I reminisce 

Ah yes, my brother had a Carlton, a great car really, his had big miles on it as well but also got unlimitedly beaten by the rust.  A shame we didn't work harder on producing decent cars in the UK, remember the Omega?  A lovely car which I coveted but never owned. 

• Like 2

Mine were a burgundy 1990 2.0 GL manual and a blue 1993 2.6i Diplomat auto. Lovely cars. I still want a Lotus one! :tongue_smilie:
Sold the GL to a friends Dad who drove it into the ground (195k miles when it finally died).
Sold the Diplomat at 120k miles when I bought my Dad's 98 Legend and regretted it as the Carlton was way more fun to drive than the FWD Legend.
The Legend was more spacious, way quieter, and massively more reliable. 
I never fancied the Omega. Too blobby, probably styled by GM for the US market. :sick:

• Like 1

Lockdown is clearly getting to you! I'm constantly surprised anyone reads my nonsense.

But I can confirm that it's coming from the headlining. Don't fancy removing it though.

I think you will find the object is in the tray below the opening roof this tray catches the water that comes in through the rubber surround and drains away through drains to the front and rear of the roof.

It could be a foreign object that as got in when the roof was open and cannot get out because the sides are raised on the tray.

You can get at the tray by lowering the front of the headliner because the tray is lower than the glass and there is a gap at the front of the tray which you may be able to see what it is.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I'm going to have to have a go at this because it's not getting any better or bearable. If I can just drop the lining a touch on the NSR I might be able to see what's going on.

Any more tips welcome.

1 hour ago, ambermarine said:

You can get a cheap endoscope camera that connects to your laptop or phone .

I’ve got one of those cameras, never thought about it when you called around a few weeks ago

0178F1B1-7368-4E25-8710-30092FDE289E.jpeg

Richard was determined to remove the offending object rattling around in the roof lining, after some steady probing and shaking it eventually emerged from the driver’s side sun visor......peace at last no more annoying noise 😀

A2A899A4-7FE8-4647-99F8-0479CA2AE6DB.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links