Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New to Lexus

Yusuf-M

Hello there everyone, 

Hope you and your loved ones fit and healthy. I am new to the forum, but i would really like some advice, Over the years I have purchased various cars for my wife, all with auto transmission and to say the least have been very disappointed with cars from European makers, so this time i decided to try Lexus, I have my eye on a Lexus is 250 on a 2012 plate, with 20k on the clock, full service history, mainly by toyota and lexus  .  the dealership is looking for 10k, is this a reasonable price, I do not like to haggle, i understand they have to make something to,  but I would feel a fool to pay the asking price, any suggestions what would be a fair price for this car.

Hi Yusuf and welcome to the best Lexus forum. Yes I'd say 10k is rather high for that car. Possibly 8 to 8.5k tops. I paid top price for my car. 2007 is250 SE-L 76k miles one owner from new and full Lexus service history. I paid 5.5k. If you really like the car you should offer 8.5k. 9k if they offer a 1 year warranty. If they say no then walk away.

There are quite a few is250 cars for sale out there. I know you'll find a suitable one. For sure once you do you will soon fall in love with it and use it yourself. They are a superb car. Good luck with your search.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Welcome Yusuf.

I agree with Vlad as regards price.

You do not say if you are dealing with a Lexus Dealership, but if you are then a 12 month warranty can be bargained for.

If not a Lexus Dealership, then bargain for a 6 month warranty and get it in writing.

In its day the IS was considered by Honest John  to be "the most reliable car on the Planet"

Do let us all know how you get on please.

Hi Royoftherovers,

I used to read about Roy of the Rovers in my younger days ..lol, Yes the car is from a Lexus/ Toyota  Dealership, my main concern will be about reliability, and any little problems i may incur with keeping the car ship shape, also are their auto transmissions good, are they CVT constant variable transmission.  I would appreciate you comments, also how often should an engine oil change be done? do i also need to change the oil on the auto transmission box, I was going to get the dealership change it for me and video it so i can be sure it has been done. same with gear box..what do you think?

The gearbox is a proper auto. There are a few threads on here regarding servicing the auto box and engine. The car you're looking at shouldn't need its gearbox oil serviced for about another 40 or 50k miles. Engine oil is done yearly if a dealer service is done yearly (lexus plans are very competitively priced, look up essential service plans on lexus website).

The only real bugbear about the is250 are the brake caliper slide pins (plenty about that on here too. Look in the gen 2 IS section). 

Which model is the car you're looking at? Does it have satnav, rear parking camera, Mark Levinson sound system? If not the most definitely the car is massively over priced. 6.5k tops. If the car is SE-L then as I said 8.5k tops.

59 minutes ago, Yusuf-M said:

Hi Royoftherovers,

I used to read about Roy of the Rovers in my younger days ..lol, Yes the car is from a Lexus/ Toyota  Dealership, my main concern will be about reliability, and any little problems i may incur with keeping the car ship shape, also are their auto transmissions good, are they CVT constant variable transmission.  I would appreciate you comments, also how often should an engine oil change be done? do i also need to change the oil on the auto transmission box, I was going to get the dealership change it for me and video it so i can be sure it has been done. same with gear box..what do you think?

Yusuf, the reliability is second to none. Ask for 12 moNths warranty and take out one of the Lexus Service Plans.Mine costs £34 per month

Auto Transmissions are excellent and yours should be a Torque Convertor type. Won`t be a CVT.

Check out the detailed spec as Vlady has said as you do not wantt o be paying too much for the car.

Which Lexus Dealership are you dealing with ?

Lexus Edgware Road.. I am also wanting them to transport the car to Scotland, using a reliable car transport service, I do not wish for the car to be driven to Glasgow Scotland. hoping to get them to throw that with the purchase.

1 hour ago, Yusuf-M said:

Lexus Edgware Road.. I am also wanting them to transport the car to Scotland, using a reliable car transport service, I do not wish for the car to be driven to Glasgow Scotland. hoping to get them to throw that with the purchase.

Good luck Yusuf and do keep us all updated.

If it's an approved used car from a Lexus dealer, then it ought to come with a comprehensive 12 month warranty as standard, plus other benefits such as breakdown cover.

https://usedcars.lexus.co.uk/en/program-benefits

In this instance, with a 2012 car, the warranty could then be further extended, if desired, until 2024 if it's renewed just before the car reaches it's 10th birthday. The only caveat, is that annual servicing must be done by Lexus.

https://www.lexus.co.uk/owners/warranty/extended-warranty/#hero

Regarding the asking price. It's not an outrageous amount for a late-model low mileage car, but definitely try and get something off the asking price, or thrown in with the deal - Maybe a service plan, either free of charge, or at a discounted price.

• Like 1

Agreed. I've seen the car on the Lexus website and the price isn't outrageous for what you're getting. The used car warranty is bullet proof and I very much doubt they'll budge on price. Best bet as John says is to try and get something thrown in. They might be able to sort something re: the transport costs but they know they don't have to try because it will sell on its own. Personally I'd pay the money, get the train down and very much enjoy the drive back. London to Glasgow? Yes please!

Get it bought Yusuf. Once you've had a Lexus you'll wonder what you've been doing all these years :thumbsup:

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, rich1068 said:

Personally I'd pay the money, get the train down and very much enjoy the drive back. London to Glasgow? Yes please!

Absolutely!

We Live in Preston and bought from Lexus Teeside - only about 100 miles but a good couple of hours due to the roads. My mate round the corner bought from Lexus Milton Keynes and drove down in his old car, did the trade-in and drove back in the new one.

Driving a Lexus is a pleasure, not a chore :thumbsup:

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Andy B said:

When I exchanged my first IS250 for the second, newer, one I drove from London to Lexus Stockport to get it. Well worth doing the miles if you find the right car at the right price.

I almost did the opposite, found an RX at a very good price at Lexus Milton Keynes and drove back to Stockport! Very enjoyable drive back too, could really appreciate the quality of the car.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links