Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Taking NX300h from UK to Granada

3 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

I`ve had 2 in my Merc for years in case the French Police ask to see one.

Is this law? Nobody informed when entering France which we have done many times. Does it mean that we are supposed to read complete law books for all countries we drive through?

Driving to Spain the last time we went in 2018  I read you needed 2 red safety Triangles + a spare pair prescription glasses if you need glasses to drive, I have prescription sunglasses 😎😎😎 we went 
Tunnel/ Rouen/Le-Man/Bordeaux /Pamplona /Zaragoza /Valencia/ Denia  😎😎

On 2/25/2021 at 1:02 PM, Las Palmas said:

Not at all. Learning new words here on the forum.

Do not care for politics or politicians. Churchill was right.

I agree John, Numpsies? Predictive text is such a pain 😉 but I think the writer also meant to say remainers were suffering from narcolepsies defined as: a disorder characterised but sudden and uncontrollable attacks of deep sleep, sometimes accompanied by paralysis of thought and hallucinations 🍺

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Las Palmas said:

Is this law? Nobody informed when entering France which we have done many times. Does it mean that we are supposed to read complete law books for all countries we drive through?

No it is not the Law now. I bought hem when it was and decided to retain them in the car, just in case French Policeman tries to be smart with me.

If ever anyone wishes to know the law, then a Forum is not the place to ask.

21 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

No it is not the Law now. I bought hem when it was and decided to retain them in the car, just in case French Policeman tries to be smart with me.

If ever anyone wishes to know the law, then a Forum is not the place to ask.

It was your mentioning of the alcotester that confused me; I have been stopped by French police but was never asked about anything related to alcohol. Not that it matters to me; I do not know that alkohol is good for anything else than cleaning. Could be good as octane booster?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Las Palmas said:

It was your mentioning of the alcotester that confused me; I have been stopped by French police but was never asked about anything related to alcohol. Not that it matters to me; I do not know that alkohol is good for anything else than cleaning. Could be good as octane booster?

Well I feel sorry for people who don't drink because when they get up in the morning that's the best they're going to feel all day "Jackie Gleason" 🍺🍺🍺

2 minutes ago, Las Palmas said:

No problem John. I had no intention of confusing anvone. I am just always suspicious of anything French and so merely retain them in the glovebox.

I was once stopped by the French Constabulary just after leaving Spain--perhaps 200 metres--and they inspected my papers and the Estate which was packed to the gunnels with wine, olive oil and oranges. I told them not to open the doors, but they ignored me and whoops all of the oranges rolled out into the following traffic !! They did al least recover them for me. I muttered something to myself about Agincourt and drove away promptly North and on to UK.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Phil xxkr said:

Well I feel sorry for people who don't drink because when they get up in the morning that's the best they're going to feel all day "Jackie Gleason" 🍺🍺🍺

She was good woz Jacqui !

11 hours ago, Marlinleg said:

Driving to Spain the last time we went in 2018  I read you needed 2 red safety Triangles + a spare pair prescription glasses if you need glasses to drive, I have prescription sunglasses 😎😎😎 we went 
Tunnel/ Rouen/Le-Man/Bordeaux /Pamplona /Zaragoza /Valencia/ Denia  😎😎

That`s a pleasant route until you hit the Valencia traffic !

44 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

She was good woz Jacqui !

It's a bloke john😱

Your Spanish voyage sounded fantastic 😎 at least you were in a hybrid which hopefully helped with the traffic, did you ever compute the economics of the end to end journey? 

1 minute ago, Phil xxkr said:

It's a bloke john😱

Your Spanish voyage sounded fantastic 😎 at least you were in a hybrid which hopefully helped with the traffic, did you ever compute the economics of the end to end journey? 

I did know Philip....life is devalued without a sense of humour and Morecambe and Wise repeats !

I`ve driven to Spain and back twice a year for the last 15 years, but never in the Lexus.

The Merc is a Diesel Auto Estate giving well in excess of 50 mpg over each journey and has a cavernous load area.

Traffic is hardly ever a problem especially if using the by-passes around Bordeaux and Madrid.

I always compute the economics and it is always difficult to justify, but I always manage the "equation of justification"

1  I am without my wife for 4 days

2. I meet up and stay with old and new friends and enjoy the Social Intercourse.

3 I enjoy good food, good wine and good cheeses

4. I am on holiday and can do what I like whenever I like with whoever I like

5. I see wonderful scenery in France and Spain.

6. I enjoy beautiful and quiet roads.

7. I carry domestic goods which cannot accompany me on a Plane

8. My car is not sitting at home doing nothing (although the Lexus is )

9. I do not have to hire a car while I am there.

10. I can return with more Rioja than can be fitted into an overhead Lioja (Locker)

If I can stay in Spain for at least 6 weeks the the cost of fuel and accommodation and subsistence can all be met by not having to hire a car. Anyway how does one put a value on items 1-10 inclusive ? One can always revalue the factors to make the equation work Philip.

Try it and see.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, royoftherovers said:

I am just always suspicious of anything French

Only thing I find funny about France is that very long ago I went into the railway station in Paris and asked the lady sitting there something in all of the 4 languages flags on the counter was telling would be understood there. She answered me in French.

Spain is also monolinguistic most places. In Holland they speak English, French, German and of course Flemish in southern part of the country.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Las Palmas said:

Only thing I find funny about France is that very long ago I went into the railway station in Paris and asked the lady sitting there something in all of the 4 languages flags on the counter was telling would be understood there. She answered me in French.

Spain is also monolinguistic most places. In Holland they speak English, French, German and of course Flemish in southern part of the country.

Most people in Spain John, I find welcoming and they speak English.

I stayed in a small Chateaux near  Pau in 2018 and the residents spoke no English when we arrived. After buying some of their wine and paying  their Bill their English was bordering on impeccable !

• Like 2

I did know Philip....life is devalued without a sense of humour and Morecambe and Wise repeats !

I`ve driven to Spain and back twice a year for the last 15 years, but never in the Lexus.

The Merc is a Diesel Auto Estate giving well in excess of 50 mpg over each journey and has a cavernous load area.

Traffic is hardly ever a problem especially if using the by-passes around Bordeaux and Madrid.

I always compute the economics and it is always difficult to justify, but I always manage the "equation of justification"

1  I am without my wife for 4 days

2. I meet up and stay with old and new friends and enjoy the Social Intercourse.

3 I enjoy good food, good wine and good cheeses

4. I am on holiday and can do what I like whenever I like with whoever I like

5. I see wonderful scenery in France and Spain.

6. I enjoy beautiful and quiet roads.

7. I carry domestic goods which cannot accompany me on a Plane

8. My car is not sitting at home doing nothing (although the Lexus is )

9. I do not have to hire a car while I am there.

10. I can return with more Rioja than can be fitted into an overhead Lioja (Locker)

If I can stay in Spain for at least 6 weeks the the cost of fuel and accommodation and subsistence can all be met by not having to hire a car. Anyway how does one put a value on items 1-10 inclusive ? One can always revalue the factors to make the equation work Philip.

Try it and see.

I agree entirely, life is more than a P&L account and you have above outlined an admirably positive balance sheet, and I love the Rioja entry🥳 

• Like 1

My wife will fly but it's awkward due to her disability so we tend to drive on holiday so that we can stop when and where we want to. In order of importance, a very close second to that is that we can fit a lot more in the boot than we could in a bag in the hold :thumbsup:

1829737813_holidaybooze.thumb.JPG.95278777ec4116bafe9416ac6a30f1e4.JPG

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Herbie said:

My wife will fly but it's awkward due to her disability so we tend to drive on holiday so that we can stop when and where we want to. In order of importance, a very close second to that is that we can fit a lot more in the boot than we could in a bag in the hold :thumbsup:

1829737813_holidaybooze.thumb.JPG.95278777ec4116bafe9416ac6a30f1e4.JPG

So that's the weekend sorted now what about "afters"? 😋😋😋

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, stephschad said:

35A4F820-3C61-43EC-B409-AA12358974AC.thumb.jpeg.91713f13171c382909694c2c22114723.jpeg
I checked a product from „Eurolites“ lately but it states „not for LED“, so have to look on I guess.

After some checks with the Eurolites paperwork I believe I am a bit the wiser now. To use the sticker on my „simple“ LED lights should be ok. The „not for LED“ seems to refer to the matrix LED‘s on certain models.

On 3/9/2021 at 7:23 AM, stephschad said:

The plate discussion made me curious. After checking some sources I believe this sticker will do the trick:

A6AE5279-A6B3-4663-B287-B4C581B23663.png

I hadn't heard of this either. I always used to find it irritating putting those big GB car stickers on the back of the car when travelling in Europe. Some people left them on permanently; I always took them off when I got home.

It seems from this website that what has changed is that you can't have new number plates made since the start of this year with the EU flag on, which makes sense. Existing plates aren't affected while driving in the UK.

When driving in the EU, (except possibly Spain!?) you don't need one of the big GB stickers if your number plates have a union flag above the letters GB. But you can't have any of the other UK country flags which would be legal if driving in the UK. And you also must have GB, rather than UK, ENG, SCO, CYM or one of the other options that are legal in the UK.

So a neater option (unless you want to buy new number plates) would be a small union jack sticker to cover the EU flag. Much less obtrusive and legal (I think) in both the UK and in the EU. Here's a link where you can buy them for 99p. My only slight doubt is whether it might be illegal to put any kind of sticker on your number plate. Anyone know?

17 hours ago, Las Palmas said:

In our CT the light-beam is flat so I see no reason to do anything if going to a country where people drive in the "wrong side" of the road. 

When I took the NX to Spain some time ago (including, coincidentally, to Granada) Lexus confirmed that the low beam was flat and no converters were needed. Presumably the same is true for LHD cars being driven in the UK and Ireland. I didn't get flashed by oncoming traffic at night.

10 minutes ago, Martin J said:

When I took the NX to Spain some time ago (including, coincidentally, to Granada) Lexus confirmed that the low beam was flat and no converters were needed. Presumably the same is true for LHD cars being driven in the UK and Ireland. I didn't get flashed by oncoming traffic at night.

SAME IN MY GS ACCORDING TO IT`S HANDBOOK MARTIN.

SAME IN MY GS ACCORDING TO IT`S HANDBOOK MARTIN.

Do I understand this correctly, that any kind of „stickers“ on the lights are not needed anymore?

21 minutes ago, Las Palmas said:

If LED they should be OK!

My NX has the usual LED‘s. Would be great to just go one day again. The last time I went with a car to the UK was in 2010 with my RX 400h. That time I did nothing with the lights as it was only for 2 days.

B2A1175D-1A35-47AA-9865-8E04D01FDB30.jpeg

Edited by stephschad
Used wrong picture

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links