Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I sanded and polished my headlights at the end of September.
I used this kit with a Battery power drill
https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0078IHJ1K
and then applied this polish/UV filter (2 coats)
https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00A3S1RGU

Here are the before and after pics.

Before right.jpg

After right.jpg

After both.jpg

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, cruisermark said:

great results

I done mine by hand just using T Cut and it made a big difference - might have to buy a proper kit like yours and do them properly

I have been using T-cut about every 4 months or so to get headlights 'clean'.  Never got around to doing it propelry with a UV coat on after, but my sons Peugeot looks like maybe time to polish and coat as his headlights go 'foggy' after about 2 months.

Seems to me that the Lexus headlight is better than your average light, as they do not cloud up so readily.  Or am I imaging that Lexus is better

• Like 1

It took me about 2 hours for both headlights.
2 passes with the 500grit, 2 passes with the 800grit, 2 passes with the 3000grit and then 2 polishes with the pad and polishing compound.
Then manually rub on the anti-UV polish, wait 15 mins and wipe it it off with a cloth,... twice.
After doing the 500 I thought "I hope this works or I'll need 2 new headlights".
It really looks like you've made it MUCH worse, but then the 800 improves it, the 3000 is almost clear and after the pad/polish they gleam.
You can't really see it  in the Before pic, but the top was REALLY yellow, not just cloudy.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, BigBoomer said:

You can't really see it  in the Before pic, but the top was REALLY yellow, not just cloudy.

please report back monthly with an update ...............  that will help us to determine if it really is all just a waste of time or, happily, a great success story :wink3:

we're all here hanging on with baited breath for the next instalment :whistling:

Malc

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cotswold Pete said:

Seems to me that the Lexus headlight is better than your average light, as they do not cloud up so readily.  Or am I imaging that Lexus is better

I also imagine Lexus lamps are better than many. Only thing that is better than plastic is the good old glass lamps.

billede.thumb.png.a9a36d64e7a74e17184454653f6ad1a7.png

18 years and still new.

• Like 1

I am thinking that anything that making the lens surface as smooth as possible is the trick to having the cleaning work for longer.

Any micro-scratches left act as little gutters for water to sit, and then bacteria to fester, and the lenses go cloudy.

Not quite sure what the UV protection adds, but I know they work.  Maybe it protects the lens from being chemically ruptured by sun light, which would then stop more un-eveness being created where water and bacteria could do there thing.

I agree Mk3 headlights the best, and the foglights way better than the Mk4, but I think it was the law that said glass headlamps need to go because of injuries caused in a collision, I assume with a pedestrian, but would welcome someone who knows more about this than me.

Plastic is cheaper than glass, and is more impact resistant as it will flex a little before breaking.
Glass tends to be heavier and has to be laminated like windscreens to be safe for use on the front of a car.
No laws against using glass for headlights that I know of.

I posted here when I did mine about 3 months ago and was impressed with the results for such an easy task. However despite using the "sealant" as per instructions they need done again. So, I will do them tomorrow and see if I get the same results as I did the last time and wont be using any "sealant" as I don't have any left and there is no point in buying anymore as it clearly doesn't work (for me anyway) just as an aside my car does sit outside all the time and does get the sun so that may have a bearing on it. 

Edit: It was in April and I used the Turtle wax headlight restoration kit

Headlights.thumb.jpg.134d5dc9d54034f4ce46c8736fb2242e.jpg

• Like 1

anybody got a really good answer to this issue of cleaning / clearing aged headlamp covers that aren't glass ???

I ask this coz I'm about to start on the 2006 Honda Legend headlamps and if no-one  has a definitive answer that actually works  then I'm thinking to just use 400 grain wet'ndry and see how long that lasts

I can't think it will be doing any lasting damage over and above the wear and tear from age and UV that's already caused to these 15 year old lenses 

my indy had a " go " a couple of years back and that lasted about a year ........  I'd imagine the quality of the plastics has just about finally deteriorated to the point of being really non-serviceable at 15 years of age and 140k miles

New lenses would doubtless cost more than the car's worth maybe ...  replacements from a breaker would doubtless be of similar quality to existing 

It's still MOT'able methinks so there's not too much rush to sort it out

ANSWERS please everyone ...................

Malc

Don't think there is a permanent solution. 

I reckon 400 grit is a bit too coarse! Did my daughters Avensis with 1200, followed by 2000, and soapy water. No deep scratches! 

Good buff with T cut, followed by polish. Then T cut and polish every couple of months. 

• Like 1

On 10/13/2021 at 2:12 PM, Malc said:

please report back monthly with an update ...............  that will help us to determine if it really is all just a waste of time or, happily, a great success story :wink3:

Will do. I'll try and report on it at the end of every month. The headlights were done on the 30 Sept.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links