Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Today I'll mainly be moaning about ...

Steve

On 1/16/2022 at 3:55 PM, Mincey said:

I wish to moan about the Sunday Lycra Clad Cycling Cretin Club again. Is that ok?

I don’t think this news about changes to the Law regarding cyclists is going to improve your mood!!

http://t.email3.telegraph.co.uk/r/?id=h1a621fb2%2C40d22b3b%2C37297561&WT.mc_id=e_DM1540396&WT.tsrc=email&etype=Edi_Car_New&utmsource=email&utm_medium=Edi_Car_New20220118&utm_campaign=DM1540396&s=w_NijU78d5EoFTEBO3GR75uOoaT2fFEZKF5LMYzb1o0

On 1/16/2022 at 3:55 PM, Mincey said:

I wish to moan about the Sunday Lycra Clad Cycling Cretin Club again. Is that ok?

I don’t think this news about changes to the Highway Code is going to improve your mood!!

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cars/features/highway-code-changing-cyclists-get-even-priority-drivers/

(I hope the link works!)

12 hours ago, doog442 said:

I'm glad you survived this absolutely shocking incident Malc. Bicycle brakes squeel all the time, a little like Lexus brakes, it really doesn't mean much, more of an annoyance, also they didn't hit you which meant they were probably in control. Suddenly braking for a raised piece of road with worn out markings that only you know about, would probably cause issues for most road users following you. Any reason you didn't slow earlier to prevent them nearly going up your chuff.

Also were they wearing lycra ? 

"he was just too damned close and riding too fast and  irresponsibly thru this village". Oddly enough Malc I note that your points were not being addressed 🤔

• Like 1

10 hours ago, LenT said:

I don’t think this news about changes to the Highway Code is going to improve your mood!!

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cars/features/highway-code-changing-cyclists-get-even-priority-drivers/

(I hope the link works!)

And all that's going to do is make them even more selfish and lots of other words that are currently escaping me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mincey said:

And all that's going to do is make them even more selfish and lots of other words that are currently escaping me.

It’s certainly going to lead to more encounters between cyclists - and pedestrians and others - and motorists.  The former seeking to exercise their new ‘rights’ and meeting motorists who hadn’t heard about them.

As someone who worked for some years with the COI, they were notoriously inept at bothering to tell their paymasters (ie the public) abut new legislation.  I recall presenting a campaign to support new legislation to Ministry officials, only to have one ask me “Why are we doing this?  If someone breaks this Law, we’ll just lock them up!”

I laughed….and then realised that I was the only one in the room who thought he was joking!

1 hour ago, LenT said:

It’s certainly going to lead to more encounters between cyclists - and pedestrians and others - and motorists.  The former seeking to exercise their new ‘rights’ and meeting motorists who hadn’t heard about them.

As someone who worked for some years with the COI, they were notoriously inept at bothering to tell their paymasters (ie the public) abut new legislation.  I recall presenting a campaign to support new legislation to Ministry officials, only to have one ask me “Why are we doing this?  If someone breaks this Law, we’ll just lock them up!”

I laughed….and then realised that I was the only one in the room who thought he was joking!

COI Len ?

If the Law requires us to defer to Cyclists, Pedestrians etc, that is what we have to try to do. It is however a recipe for potential problems as we and our respective Insurers, will all find out. What about the poor horse who will now be informed by its Rider that it will have to defer to a Pedestrian who is not even in the act of crossing the road?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

COI Len ?

If the Law requires us to defer to Cyclists, Pedestrians etc, that is what we have to try to do. It is however a recipe for potential problems as we and our respective Insurers, will all find out. What about the poor horse who will now be informed by its Rider that it will have to defer to a Pedestrian who is not even in the act of crossing the road?

"Several other new rules have been introduced to further clarify when pedestrians have priority on the road. Cyclists are advised to take care when overtaking pedestrians and horses by slowing down and alerting them using their bell"

Never seen a horse around me with a bell? 😊. And does anyone honestly believe lycra louts will take any notice? No doubt their defence will be the changes are only advisory and not enacted in law.  

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Phil xxkr said:

"Several other new rules have been introduced to further clarify when pedestrians have priority on the road. Cyclists are advised to take care when overtaking pedestrians and horses by slowing down and alerting them using their bell"

Never seen a horse around me with a bell? 😊. And does anyone honestly believe lycra louts will take any notice? No doubt their defence will be the changes are only advisory and not enacted in law. 

From Roy.... 

I feel that it is time for each of us to purchase a copy of the new Highway Code so that we can be aware of our new responsibilities.Additionally, we should all install Dashcams so as to demonstrate 

the deployment of our new found skills and to expose the shortcomings of the Lycre Louts.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, royoftherovers said:

COI Len ?

Central Office of Information, John, if that’s your question?

I had to liaise with various Ministries and create campaigns to launch the results of their cogitations to an eager Public.  Interestingly, there was a change of Administration during my years, but the Civil Servants involved remained the same, so often very little actually changed.

As one CS explained to me: “We actually draw up the Laws that matter and Ministers come and go.”  

1 hour ago, royoftherovers said:

What about the poor horse who will now be informed by its Rider that it will have to defer to a Pedestrian who is not even in the act of crossing the road?

As a past rider myself, I suspect that the horse-sense of the average Dobbin exceeds that of many a pedestrian!  Or, come to that, some motorists.

I recall riding behind a large ex-race horse down a country Lane, and approaching a bend, when a saloon decided to overtake despite being waved back.

On suddenly encountering a car coming the other way, the first driver pulled in, clipping the hooves of the horse.  Justifiably irritated, the horse lashed out;  crumpling the passenger door and lifting the car into the opposite ditch.
Clearly a horse more than capable of enforcing its rights.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, LenT said:

I had to liaise with various Ministries and create campaigns to launch the results of their cogitations to an eager Public.  Interestingly, there was a change of Administration during my years, but the Civil Servants involved remained the same, so often very little actually changed.

As one CS explained to me: “We actually draw up the Laws that matter and Ministers come and go.”  

Twas ever thus Len. How could it be otherwise? Unimaginable that every 48 months people with no experience are changed out for another set with no experience of running and defending the country. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, LenT said:

As a past rider myself, I suspect that the horse-sense of the average Dobbin exceeds that of many a pedestrian!  Or, come to that, some motorists.

I recall riding behind a large ex-race horse down a country Lane, and approaching a bend, when a saloon decided to overtake despite being waved back.

On suddenly encountering a car coming the other way, the first driver pulled in, clipping the hooves of the horse.  Justifiably irritated, the horse lashed out;  crumpling the passenger door and lifting the car into the opposite ditch.
Clearly a horse more than capable or enforcing its rights.

Now that's a sight I would willingly pay to see 🤣

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, doog442 said:

Any reason you didn't slow earlier to prevent them nearly going up your chuff.

doing about 10mph is slow enuf for me to negotiate these regular poorly marked humps in Upchurch village Kent BUT I do slow to almost a STOP to actually lift the car up and over the initial slope to achieve a smooth result

The 2 cyclists in tandem were wearing lycra yes ....  does that mean they're exempt from ??? 

Clearly the first of the two cyclists braked so so hard, the squeal was amazingly loud ( no, my brakes don't squeal ) and I didn't even see him, how close he was behind me, I suspect he was so so close, being out of vision of my door mirrors  .  

Do cyclists have to have insurance for road traffic issues ? or are they exempt if they wear lycra maybe :whistling:

Malc

6 minutes ago, Phil xxkr said:

Twas ever thus Len. How could it be otherwise? Unimaginable that every 48 months people with no experience are changed out for another set with no experience of running and defending the country. 

One of my regular moans, Philip.  

Ministers such as Jeromy Hunt, who served six years as Sec. of State for Health, are the exception.  I don’t  even ever recall meeting a Civil Servant in a Ministry who had an impressive science or medical background, or who had successfully managed a commercial business.

In fact, the most impressive department head that I recall had been an officer in a submarine. And delightful company he was too!

• Like 1

Minister Hacker i.e.Paul Eddington ( RIP ) was the most useful of all MPs and PMs this country has ever seen or will ever see ..........  except PM Boris who is doing a sterling job in promoting sterling and giving this country some sterling effort too ....

but before we all jump on this bandwagon let's just wait and see what the Friday Gray Report brings forth eh !:wink3:

Malc

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, LenT said:

It was Len and thanks you.

Acronyms are useful only to those that know what they mean. Everyone has heard  of N.A.S.A but few know what it stands for. The convention as I understand it is for the acronym to be inserted in Capitals within parenthesis (brackets for you and me old pal) immediately following first use of the full phrase.

........Central Office of Information (CIO).........The acronym is used thereafter..

I too spent some time dealing with Officialdom and can recognise what you have described. If only Ministers in charge of their Departments were made to stay put in order to fulfill their responsibilities, Civil Servants could be made more accountable ??

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, LenT said:

One of my regular moans, Philip.  

Ministers such as Jeromy Hunt, who served six years as Sec. of State for Health, are the exception.  I don’t  even ever recall meeting a Civil Servant in a Ministry who had an impressive science or medical background, or who had successfully managed a commercial business.

In fact, the most impressive department head that I recall had been an officer in a submarine. And delightful company he was too!

I recall JH couldn't recall the nationality of his wife 😱. And didn't Margaret Thatcher have a science degree? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

Acronyms are useful only to those that know what they mean. Everyone has heard  of N.A.S.A but few know what it stands for. The convention as I understand it is for the acronym to be inserted in Capitals within parenthesis (brackets for you and me old pal) immediately following first use of the full phrase.

........Central Office of Information (CIO).........The acronym is used thereafter..

I too spent some time dealing with Officialdom and can recognise what you have described. If only Ministers in charge of their Departments were made to stay put in order to fulfill their responsibilities, Civil Servants could be made more accountable ??

Precisely why they change 😅

5 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

........Central Office of Information (CIO).........The acronym is used  thereafter.

Quite right John.  A lamentable lapse for which I have been rightly admonished.  😔

8 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

Could not agree more!  Critics rarely seem to appreciate that it can take years to change the way a Ministry works, to reverse or modify existing regulations and enact new Policies..  Like changing the direction of travel of a giant tanker, it can be a frustratingly slow and tedious process.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Phil xxkr said:

I recall JH couldn't recall the nationality of his wife 😱. And didn't Margaret Thatcher have a science degree? 

Indeed so, Philip.

Of course, it could be argued that Hunt’s memory lapse simply demonstrated how unimportant her nationality was to him.  🙂

And Thatcher was - and still is - the only British PM with a science degree.  She also worked in industry as a chemist.  I do recall ministry officials finding that this background enabled her to dissect their proposals with a logical and analytical clarity to which they were very unaccustomed.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Malc said:

Do cyclists have to have insurance for road traffic issues ? or are they exempt if they wear lycra maybe :whistling:

Malc

I'm starting to think the issue here is Lycra rather than people riding two wheeled vehicles. :wink3:

25 minutes ago, Malc said:

ANYONE know the answer I wonder

Malc

Many 'proper' cyclists have Insurance. They don't have to by law but with the amount of idiots driving MPV's with scant disregard for anyone other than themselves, it's often deemed a good idea.

3 hours ago, Phil xxkr said:

Most cyclists and cycling clubs I know gives horse riders ample notice that they're approaching, a ring of a bell or a friendly verbal warning from behind. You really don't want to startle a horse for obvious reasons.  There's actually a very good relationship on the road between most horse riders and cyclists, they both consider themselves vulnerable road users and tend to respect each others presence. That said you'd only experience this if you actually ride a bike or a horse but I reckon you'd be surprised if you did. There will however be the odd case where this doesn't happen mind.   

As for being advisory, any changes can be utilised to support or disprove a criminal case although the legislation itself may not be law.

As someone stated earlier there will always be a percentage of louts, either behind a wheel, behind a pair of handlebars or on an electric scooter, moped etc.  I have no issue at all in telling cyclists on my shared trailway facility to use a bell when speeding up behind me and the dog however things are much better than they were. I'd also have no issue in telling a dog owner that their extendable lead and inability to take in their surroundings could well be a danger to me on my bike. Its horses for courses if you excuse the pun but hell this forum is getting a lot like reading the comments section in my local rag. 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links