Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus IS 300h Rear Privacy Glass

Hello Everyone,

I just realised 😞 that my lexus does not have a rear privacy glass. It was not a deal breaker when I was buying a car. However, now I think it would be better to get them tinted. What would you suggest? Is tinting a good idea? and from where I shouls get it done? Any suggestions or help is approciated.

Yes I dont think any of them came with privacy glass from factory.

I had it done on my C-class last year and paid ÂŁ100 for Llumar film and labour - some of the other films are cheaper. Took about an hour to do the rear side windows and the back window.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
On 2/15/2022 at 10:02 AM, J Henderson said:

For the side windows, 35% level tint looks good IMO.

20190802_161625.thumb.jpg.a8e38636381b21f5bb6911193ad9b753.jpg

I went slightly darker on the rear screen at 20% and was pleased with the outcome. 

Do you belive this price looks reasonable? I am not sure where you got it done from and how much did you pay for it?

image.thumb.png.a41f1569ac396a3bcf1a694f3417ba99.png

Given the skill needed to apply tint correctly on the curved rear window the price looks reasonable.

I looked into DIYing my previous Celsior and checked out the YouTube videos. The side windows looked fairly easy but the back window looked impossible so never bothered.

New Celsior has factory tinted rears 😀

34880836-D36A-4B7B-9548-535FD5415FE2.jpeg

3FC4B6DC-EB66-4414-8079-027981F917E5.jpeg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Gaurav Bhandari said:

Do you belive this price looks reasonable? I am not sure where you got it done from and how much did you pay for it?

image.thumb.png.a41f1569ac396a3bcf1a694f3417ba99.png

ÂŁ180 is also what I paid (in 2019) and the film brand was Suntek Carbon. Which I believe is amongst the best available.

Work was done by Scot-Tint in Edinburgh, so a bit far from you. 🙂

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, royoftherovers said:

Was the Drivers door not done then Phil ?

If it was, which one wasn`t ?

No, just the rears, I wanted the front clear (apart from the slight factory tint) I carry tools so it helps with security, plus less sun on my dog when we travel!

Here's the question then.

Whose telling their insurers? I know you're supposed to ("modifications"), but practically speaking?

12 minutes ago, matt8 said:

Here's the question then.

Whose telling their insurers? I know you're supposed to ("modifications"), but practically speaking?

You should. I understand that it's a silly thing that shouldn't need to be mentioned but my ex had her rear windows tinted and when the insurance technician came out to fit a black box he refused to touch the car and they cancelled her policy because it wasn't declared.. I personally wouldn't declare it if I was on a normal policy, because the car could've come from the factory with privacy glass (most new cars do). I say if I was a normal policy because I'm on a modified policy for all my other mods, so in my position I'd just tell them, it wouldn't cost me a penny, but some insurers are as*holes. I very much doubt anybody would question it on a new car like IS300h though. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

• 5 weeks later...

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/4/2022 at 9:36 AM, Gaurav Bhandari said:

Admiral has quoted the following:

Tint >30%: 42 GBP

Tint <30%: 10 GBP

That's interesting, and a small price to pay to keep on the right side of any future claim.

However what if I bought your car. I wouldn't know if it was factory tinted or not so would reasonably have nothing to declare  🤔  That would be an interesting argument with the insurance assessor 

• Like 1

On 6/18/2022 at 11:04 PM, J Henderson said:

A few times when I've played around with certain modifications on price comparison sites, the quote has actually been lower with tinted glass.

Work that one out.

They don't always make sense these algorithms.

Today I insured one of our other cars and was playing with some of the variables. I got quoted ÂŁ20 less for choosing a ÂŁ100 lower voluntary excess than their default.

On 6/26/2022 at 2:18 PM, Gaurav Bhandari said:

You mean the Lexus Garage does this as well?

No, it was done locally at an independant. I think he meant factory tint spec.

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links