Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

CT200h rust under paint, paint warranty from Lexus?

matinzk

Hi everyone,

I have a CT200h in pearl white. The car is a 2012 MY and has done about 87k. Purchased back in 2018 and has always been garaged since purchase, when not in use.

Today I noticed a slight rust under the paint on the passenger door. This is around 2mm. Does Lexus warranty their paint/bodywork for rust like other German manufacturers at all? If so, who do I need to contact? The same thing has happened with the rear boot hinges.

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you.

1 hour ago, matinzk said:

Hi everyone,

I have a CT200h in pearl white. The car is a 2012 MY and has done about 87k. Purchased back in 2018 and has always been garaged since purchase, when not in use.

Today I noticed a slight rust under the paint on the passenger door. This is around 2mm. Does Lexus warranty their paint/bodywork for rust like other German manufacturers at all? If so, who do I need to contact? The same thing has happened with the rear boot hinges.

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you.

Hi Martin

The below is from my warranty and service book. Section 3 on page 3. At the beginning of the book, way before you would have your service stamps done:

"Surface rust and paintwork:

The warranty offers 3 years of cover for surface rust and paint defects appearing on any of the painted body panels due to a fault in material or workmanship. There is no mileage restriction on this.

Corrosion perforation:

12 years of coverage is provided against bodywork perforation (i.e. any holes through the bodywork from inside to outside) due to corrosion that is attributable to faults in material or workmanship. Again there is no mileage restriction. "

Further down it mentions that hinges, bumpers and mouldings are not included.

I'd speak to your local Lexus Dealership / contact Lexus Customer Services to see if they can or cannot assist in any way 🤞

• Like 2

Also Martin, just as an extra thought going forwards. When washing your beloved CT, if your not doing so already, maybe invest in some wash products that have built-in rust inhibitors in them.

I use Bilt Hamber Auto Foam or Touchless for Prewash. For contact wash I use Bilt Hamber Auto Wash Shampoo. Other brands are available too!

Just from an ongoing / aftercare POV!

Good Luck! 🤞🏽👍🏽

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

What was the outcome?

Whilst washing my CT discovered above protection plate on rear of car some small rust spots. Car is coming up to 5 years old.

Biggest culprit for rust coming through door panels is blocked drain holes causing water to wick up and saturate door insulation

In my case, since the car was white, wheree the brake and iron particles that had penetrated the clear coat and made an orange colour rust like spots. No bubbling or anything. This is what Lexus told me. Google search revealed that tjis is normal and happens with any car, but more evident on white cars. There are sprays to sort this. But not until I see photos would I be able to tell you if yours is in the same situation or not.

I sold the car about 12 months ago and got an RX now. We needed a bigger car.

3 hours ago, Poundy said:

Biggest culprit for rust coming through door panels is blocked drain holes causing water to wick up and saturate door insulation

Hoe can I check these drain holes please?

Open door and lay on your back and look under the door, you should see the holes quite easily and poke some wire up them to clean out or run your fingers under it the door edge.

• Like 1

On 1/11/2024 at 9:31 PM, Kaptkremmin said:

Open door and lay on your back and look under the door, you should see the holes quite easily and poke some wire up them to clean out or run your fingers under it the door edge.

Thank you.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links