Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

2016 RX450h F-Sport Engine Knocking Update - Tuesday 28th February

To say I'm ****** off with Lexus Gatwick would be an Understatement.

We had the Car delivered back yesterday Afternoon after apparently having No.4 Cylinder Injector replaced.

Apparently, after showing their Master Lexus Technician the last Video, he told me he knew 100% what the Knocking Noise was and assured me it would be returned with no Knocking or Vibration.

The Car apparently showed absolutely no faults at all on the Diagnostics the first time we took it in, but the Fuel Injector Pressures ??? we're lowered and we were told the knocking would be quieter and try it for a week......it was no different.

So as you know, the car went back and it was now showing a slight Misfire on No.4 Cylinderthe Service Manager told me.

They had the Car for a week and the Service Manager rang me to say it is ready and it is no longer showing the Misfire on No.4 after fitting new Injector.

Guess what ???

The Car is still doing exactly the same knocking and vibration for 15 Seconds ( i won't bore you with another Video !! ) but something else has changed.

I don't know if I'm correct with what's happens, but before the Petrol Engine started, we always heard what i think is the noise of the Hybrid System everytime before the Petrol Engine started .

Now, it's never there, The Petrol Engine starts on its own  when it obviously needs to, but we never hear the sound before anymore.

Still saying it's a Characteristic Sound of the Engine.

Also occasionally doing the misfire when car is being driven.

I was so convinced by the Technician that the Car would be perfect, i had the other halfs Private Plate put on !

Do i just give up and say that's enough and get my money back as they did say the 30 Day Exchange would be extended, or send it back on Warranty again ?

Don't know if I'd get anywhere contacting Lexus U.K ??

What do you think ?

TIA

• Sad 1

I think I would be giving the vehicle back if it were myself, as I would forever be listening for any issues and not fully enjoying what should be an extremely cossetting vehicle.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, robpace said:

Still saying it's a Characteristic Sound of the Engine.

I have pretty much an identical vehicle and it has never done this.

You are clearly not happy with the vehicle or else you would not be posting here, so the only sensible option is to return the vehicle.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Steve_D said:

it will be fixed eventually

To be fair it should've been fixed the first time .....the clocks ticking on the option to reject vehicle for the OP remember.

• Like 2

With no faults shown you would have thought they may have pulled the spark plugs to give an idea of what was happening in the engine. Sorry for being old school.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, robpace said:

I don't know if I'm correct with what's happens, but before the Petrol Engine started, we always heard what i think is the noise of the Hybrid System everytime before the Petrol Engine started .

Now, it's never there, The Petrol Engine starts on its own  when it obviously needs to, but we never hear the sound before anymore.

I don't know what you were hearing but there certainly should not be any noise from the hybrid system. Neither my previous RX (2013) nor my current one (2018) have ever made any sort of noise from the hybrid system.

I think I'd be giving it back for a full refund or a swap for a different RX.

• Like 3

Oh dear.

+1 to all the above.

You have the patience of a saint, but surely, enough... is enough. 

• Like 2

Reject, swap for another one. You've given plenty of opportunity to fix the issue. Characteristic of the car is nonsense, mine has never done this. Rust is a characteristic of metal, but I wouldn't accept it on a 2016 car,  neither should you accept this noise.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/11/2022 at 3:36 PM, No Comment said:

Any update on the case? I’m really interested about the outcome. 

We've still got the Car and its still making the same Engine Knock/ Rattle but is absolutely perfect after the 15 Second Cycle the Petrol Engine goes through whatever its doing when it starts after being driven a few miles.

The Service Manager at Lexus Gatwick is still saying its a Characteristic Sound of the engine which really pisses me off and ive let the Salesman know.

He has asked us to take a 'Leap of Faith' to see if the noise gets worse so they can pick it up on there Diagnostic Equipment, but if we are really not happy, they will pay the Current Market Value of the Car and take it back.

He didn't say if the Current Market Value is the same as we paid for the Car, and if it finally goes back, i will want a Full Refund.

He had reminded me that we have a Full 12 Months Parts and Labour Warranty, which will be kept going for at least another 4 Years on the Lexus Relax Warranty as it will be serviced yearly by Lexus.

We didn't know, but have just found out we have a good friend who just so happens to be a Lexus Technician at another Dealership, and am waiting at the moment for a reply from him to get a Second Opinion.

Will keep you Posted !

It's just a suggestion, give a look to oil, if they put a 5W-30 it could create that issue...

Jusst a question;: does knocking happen all the time whrn you start engine or only when engine is cold? If only when cold the chance for wrong oil is more probable.

9 hours ago, Zotto said:

It's just a suggestion, give a look to oil, if they put a 5W-30 it could create that issue...

Jusst a question;: does knocking happen all the time whrn you start engine or only when engine is cold? If only when cold the chance for wrong oil is more probable.

It never seems to happen when engine is started from Cold.

Its always after the car has been driven for a few miles so engine is warm, parked up and turned off for about 15 minutes then turned on again and Petrol Engine starts .

As i said before, the knocking, Rattle lasts exactly the same amount of time from When Petrol Engine starts ( about 15 Seconds so its obviously its the same Cycle the Engine goes through everytime ) 

Ive just taken the Car out this morning after being left overnight and everything was perfect .

Went back out 20 mins later to restart and the 15 Second knock/Vibration was there again , and after the 15 Seconds, you can hear the Cycle finish and Engine runs perfectly again.

Have you listened to the Videos ive put up on the other Posts ?

Hopefully our Friends friend from the other Lexus Dealership can shed some light on it this week.

Will keep you Posted !

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links