Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Disappointed with Lexus Parts

I recently bought some brake pads for my LS430 from a Lexus dealer - the ones on the car had plenty of wear but the groaning sound when coming to a stop was annoying me.

Firstly when the pads arrived I noticed they were Textar brand - these can be bought for much cheaper from reputable outlets online - that was my first disappointment.

Now that the pads are fitted they emit a ssshhh sound when braking (its minor but can be heard even at low speeds)

They also emit alot of brake dust

Has anybody else experienced this

I might change them for a different brand this summer - Can anybody suggest a brand - they need to be quite, have a good bit and zero dust

• Sad 1

I have been disappointed also and have changed to EBC Ultimax pads.

bought on fleabay

they make red , green yellow racing stuff but avoid these as they need heating up before they bite, not much good coming out the driveway then……..

i have replaced squealing mercedes Ate pads on a viano traveliner, front and rear on my Mercedes SL, front and rear on LS430,

front and rear on 328i BMW.

I like the abrasive coat on face of pad that hones the disc and helps them bed in .

I like that they are UK manufactured not chinese.

I like that they don't use iron in the pad material as abrasive so there is no manky black dust all over my curb mashed alloys.

They stop pretty good too.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cruisermark said:

I recently bought some brake pads for my LS430 from a Lexus dealer - the ones on the car had plenty of wear but the groaning sound when coming to a stop was annoying me.

Firstly when the pads arrived I noticed they were Textar brand - these can be bought for much cheaper from reputable outlets online - that was my first disappointment.

Now that the pads are fitted they emit a ssshhh sound when braking (its minor but can be heard even at low speeds)

They also emit alot of brake dust

Has anybody else experienced this

I might change them for a different brand this summer - Can anybody suggest a brand - they need to be quite, have a good bit and zero dust

So Mark what packaging did they come in? Textar or the usual red/white Toyota branded box?

2 hours ago, LexusRbest said:

I have been disappointed also and have changed to EBC Ultimax pads.

bought on fleabay

they make red , green yellow racing stuff but avoid these as they need heating up before they bite, not much good coming out the driveway then……..

i have replaced squealing mercedes Ate pads on a viano traveliner, front and rear on my Mercedes SL, front and rear on LS430,

front and rear on 328i BMW.

I like the abrasive coat on face of pad that hones the disc and helps them bed in .

I like that they are UK manufactured not chinese.

I like that they don't use iron in the pad material as abrasive so there is no manky black dust all over my curb mashed alloys.

They stop pretty good too.

I've read up on these and they sound very good - and only £25 - £30 - I might go for these

Have you tried Lexus Parts Direct in Swindon…part of a Lexus dealership? They post etc and have the OE at good prices so you get the top quality and ceramic content  etc…

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Tinonline said:

Have you tried Lexus Parts Direct in Swindon…part of a Lexus dealership? They post etc and have the OE at good prices so you get the top quality and ceramic content  etc…

they are the ones I bought from - It appears they use Textar as their supplier?

13 hours ago, cruisermark said:

It came in a blue Textar box - I think it has one of their white stickers on it with info - with Lexus invoice.

It was not a Lexus or red/white Toyota box

Oh…that’s not what I’d expect from Lexus Parts at all…I wouldn’t have been happy with that…🧐

5 hours ago, b4u2 said:

I think that within all car manufacturers, not necessarily do they manufacture every single part.

Absolutely…they use the same manufacturers around the World and specify their own requirements. Car brands make very few of their own parts.

If you go to Lexus Parts Direct in Swindon for example, (I have no associations other than a satisfied customer) you expect OE parts. 

Over the years I’ve had such grief with pad quality including the Textar bad years where they were just below average and noisy I now buy OE at the best price I can.

Replacement cheap as chips Lexus pads won’t have ceramic content, won’t perform as well or last as long. That suits many motorists fair enough, I prefer to fit and forget for as long as possible. 😁

• Like 1

I would have been outraged had Lexus parts sent me a oem equivalent. They are not genuine replacements if they do not come in a Toyota branded box ,and to hide behind the Lexus name as a genuine supplier is shameful.

I have never thought getting stuff from this crowd was a good idea they are expensive anyway.

30 minutes ago, ambermarine said:

I would have been outraged had Lexus parts sent me a oem equivalent. They are not genuine replacements if they do not come in a Toyota branded box ,and to hide behind the Lexus name as a genuine supplier is shameful.

I have never thought getting stuff from this crowd was a good idea they are expensive anyway.

Absolutely agree, getting Textar branded pads rather than Toyota branded pads from LPD is not on, regardless of whether they are the same pads or not. We don't know if the pads are exactly the same or not.
I have bought quite a lot of parts from LPD and never had an issue really. I get a price from LPD and then contact Lexus Bolton to see if they can match the price or within a few quid. If they can, then I buy it from Lexus Bolton. A lot of the time Lexus Bolton can match it, match it within a few quid or sometimes its a bit cheaper. The main thing that Lexus Bolton can't get anywhere near for price are the service kits, even at cost. Afaik, the reason is LPD have an 'oil promotion' price arranged through Lexus UK. I believe LPD, aka Lexus Swindon, are able to offer this as the 'Lexus approved' parts outlet (or something like that) but other dealers can't.

Yes…agree.

Amayama have gone up in my estimations as I’ve bought OE items for silly money e.g. bonnet catch £26 all in, instead of £50 and gearbox mount £36 all in instead of £60 to £70, all OE, bagged and part numbered etc etc.

Maybe they’re worth a look if you can wait a week or so for delivery?

2 hours ago, Razor61 said:

, aka Lexus Swindon, are able to offer this as the 'Lexus approved' parts outlet (or something like that) but other dealers can't.

Bought parts from lexus Swindon, to date always been genuine in Lexus/Toyota boxes.  Had new front discs and pads (and shims) 3 years ago, certainly much better than the Blueprints in use before

• Like 1

Mercedes use brembo and Ate manufactured pads and box them in a Mercedes box with a hologram .

Using EBC Ultimax pads have solved some of my noisy brake problems on Mercedes and other makes of cars.

They work well on my LS430 and provide confidence during high speed stops.

It is quite bizarre that they work so well yet there is no black dust on the wheels from them.

I have no connection to their product.

I believe them to be a superior product that is manufactured in the UK.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ambermarine said:

Well that would make sense as Toyota own 50% of Denso.

Not quite as clear cut as that. Depends on different models and most Lexus brakes are sourced from brembo or Akebono. Mercedes use plenty of textar, brembo, TRW and ATE pads. BMW tends to go for brembo and ATE.

LPD say on their website that they only supply Genuine Lexus parts so there may be an explanation or error - did you contact them before fitting them to see what they said? I find it quite interesting that you went ahead and fitted them despite not receiving what was advertised?

Id be on the phone atleast for a refund. 

As for the noise, new brakes need time to bed in properly. Give it atleast 100 miles. 

• Like 1

I was recommended and have fitted ATE shoes, pads and discs and been highly satisfied with them.

I suffered a rotary tinging noise which started a couple of days after fitting which turned out to be a lip on the rear disc backplate around where the shoes fit which was catching on the inside of the disc.

This a pick of the fronts as the pic of the rears, which are done the same but this website won't allow me to download it! 

Good luck, Anthony

20211030_185951.thumb.jpg.61996fdabd7d3f8b946faeb898e3c5df.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

My old Mercedes had Textar pads on it with a Mercedes star on the metal back. No manufacturer makes pads, they are all supplied. Textar usually are a top brand. I have Pagid on my 430. Very good and quiet. Last a long time too. I am planning a disc/pad renewal all round soon. Might go to Lexus Swindon who I have used before. Always in Toyota boxes. Or Pagid. Both are fine. Pagid naturally a bit cheaper.

Actually, they are all part of the TMD Friction group. Now Japanese owned. So is Mintex, and Don.

https://tmdfriction.com/about/

I'm not happy with Textar - lots of brake dust and the shhh sound - I have already bought a set of EBC Ultimax 2 - £24 inc delivery direct from them

Pagid are good - I heard porsche use them

10 minutes ago, cruisermark said:

I'm not happy with Textar - lots of brake dust and the shhh sound - I have already bought a set of EBC Ultimax 2 - £24 inc delivery direct from them

Pagid are good - I heard porsche use them

I wouldn't trust EBC. The issues I've had with red stuff pads on other cars I'd never touch them again. Even yellow stuff has its own problems although maybe ultimax might be OK. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, rayaans said:

I wouldn't trust EBC. The issues I've had with red stuff pads on other cars I'd never touch them again. Even yellow stuff has its own problems although maybe ultimax might be OK. 

I've based my decision on 

a) forum member reccomendation

b) info provided on website

lets see . . . 

I have EBC green stuff pads on my car and find them very good,as a bonus they produce very little brake dust.

I forgot to mention if you are a gold member EBC offer a discount.

Edited by McRattlehead
add text
  • Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links