Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I've just come in from hardwiring a ViofoPro duo to my RC300h that I finally got back from the body shop this morning.This was as a result of someone driving into the back of me-luckily they immediately admitted liability,as did her insurers.

They supplied an "equivalent" car-aBMW430d convertible-very good acceleration but rattly and poor finish.My car cost them over £5,000 plus about 5 weeks hire charges.

The fusebox in an RC is in the most godawful location,Ive been hanging upside down for part of the afternoon in the passenger footwell--The kamasutra has nothing on me..

If "lightning ever strikes twice" and I get an awkward sod then hopefully one of the cameras will get him.I notice McShoopy made a similar comment to me immeadiatley after the impact..

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Herbie said:

I'd email Kia UK to confirm or deny this (in writing) as it surely just cannot be right? It sounds absolute rubbish to me.

Good idea @Herbie I might just do that.  Thanks.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Herbie said:

That could still happen, even to a pricey Road Angel.

By law, a dashcam screen that is visible to the driver must automatically blank out within three minutes and stay off while the vehicle is in motion, purely to avoid that very situation.

Most dashcam manufacturers also produce dedicated hardwire kits although some, like my Viofo one, cost a few quid extra. Third-party ones are also perfectly good.

Don't misunderstand me, I'm not saying that you shouldn't have bought a Road Angel; it's your money and your choice. I'm just wondering who you're trying to convince that the (much) higher price was worth it :whistling: :laughing:

Haha its all good, I did have a cheapo dash cam from amazon in my car for a while but it just looked a little off so my motivations for the Road Angel were largely in part aesthetics 🤣

3 hours ago, Harrier Man said:

Okay you cruel lot, thanks for all your replies and scarring the bejesus out of me! 😉

You've convinced me and I've just ordered myself a dash cam.

Haha glad you made the right choice, its sad we have to resort to such measures but especially since the pandemic started assuming nothing is sacred and don't trust strangers, especially ones that bash into your car on the road! 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone have any experience, info, tips, pictures of a diy dash cam fit specific to the NX? I bought the Nextbase 622GW front and rear cameras. There appear to be 3 fuse box locations in the NX according to the manual; maybe it will be clearer when I get the car and it will be more obvious where I can take the power from but at the moment, I'm a bit confused.

4 minutes ago, Harrier Man said:

Does anyone have any experience, info, tips, pictures of a diy dash cam fit specific to the NX? I bought the Nextbase 622GW front and rear cameras. There appear to be 3 fuse box locations in the NX according to the manual; maybe it will be clearer when I get the car and it will be more obvious where I can take the power from but at the moment, I'm a bit confused.

I would imagine the fuse box in the passenger footwell (sort of up behind the glove box) will be the one you want. You'll need an 'add-a-fuse' piggyback thing like this:

addafuse.thumb.png.59fe60d78a16611df2b887fd3d847bbd.png

and you'll need to pick a fuse that is ignition-switched so that it comes on when the car is turned on and goes off when the car is turned off. If the cameras are capable of 'parking mode' then you'll need a second piggyback to use with a permanently live fuse supply as well.

You may find a video of how and where to run the cabling on YouTube, but to be honest I'd wait until you get the car and then you can see how it all relates in real life.

• Like 1

Malcolm

There are a lot of videos on you tube relating to self installing dashcams.As Herbie says it is fairly straightforward.I managed to do it successfully and I'm a complete Frank Spencer.All you will need is a basic multimeter,under£10. And a pair of long nose pliers.

By far the best video is by "Craig's DIY" He appears to be in New Zealand,but "speaks the Queen's English" He fits to a Mondeo but the principle's the same.

Also search for fitting a Blackvue  d.cam to a Lexus RCF a white one.can,t remember the guy,s name.

David

3 hours ago, Harrier Man said:

Malcolm, in the 'Show & Tell' thread, Don C Has posted some pictures and info on him fitting a front & rear cam to his car. 

Here's the link to the page - it's towards the bottom:

Alan

2 hours ago, javadude said:

I don't understand why manufacturers are not including dashcams as standard these days.

I'm glad they don't. Imagine the cost of a replacement if it were to go faulty, not to mention that half of the car would probably need to be stripped out to do it!

I'd much rather have the choice of which camera to fit and/or later replace. Plus, it's a very easy DIY job; I had the front camera mounted, wired and working within 30 minutes. Admittedly the rear took a bit longer but still wasn't difficult.

8 hours ago, Herbie said:

I'm glad they don't. Imagine the cost of a replacement if it were to go faulty, not to mention that half of the car would probably need to be stripped out to do it!

I'd much rather have the choice of which camera to fit and/or later replace. Plus, it's a very easy DIY job; I had the front camera mounted, wired and working within 30 minutes. Admittedly the rear took a bit longer but still wasn't difficult.

I agree about having choice of which dash cams to install.   I am still surprised that vehicle manufacturers are not including accessible power connection points for Dash Cams close to the most popular install positions eliminating the need to dismantle trim panels and struggle with the routing USB connection kits. It would add a little to the cost of the vehicle but would enhance user experience, choice and aesthetics.

• Like 4

21 hours ago, Harrier Man said:

Thank you everyone. Watched a few YouTube videos, very helpful and some good tips on what not to do amongst the good ideas. They make it look a pretty simple job even though I don't like the idea of removing panels for fear of introducing squeaks and rattles. Don's photos on the 'Show and Tell' thread are useful too, although the shot with half his car spread over his grass was a little disconcerting! I'll let you know how I get on.

• Like 1

On 6/7/2022 at 10:22 AM, dts439 said:

I had them fitted (front and rear) to our car by the dealer for peace of mind.  I'd add that the dealers currently fit the NextBase 380 GWX and the cost is reasonable.  However, it is a pain downloading the footage through the NextBase Cam Viewer app if you use the same phone to connect to CarPlay.

Still surprised its not a standard built-in feature given the number of cameras on cars these days.  Only think Tesla do this currently?

Hi There, My 350H is coming in January 2023, I'd asked him about Dashcams he said this is not Factory fitted but a Dealer job (Lexus Twickenham) and they will fit Front and Rear and the make will be NextBase he was a bit coy about the Model and Price saying closer to time he'll have more info. 

As you've already had the Dashcams fitted how much did they charge you?

Thanks 

1 hour ago, S Dhuper said:

Hi There, My 350H is coming in January 2023, I'd asked him about Dashcams he said this is not Factory fitted but a Dealer job (Lexus Twickenham) and they will fit Front and Rear and the make will be NextBase he was a bit coy about the Model and Price saying closer to time he'll have more info. 

As you've already had the Dashcams fitted how much did they charge you?

Thanks 

Ordered with the new car, hopefully next year before March...

Nextbase 380GW + 16GB SD card, £375, Lexus Bolton 

1 hour ago, krisdeb said:

Ordered with the new car, hopefully next year before March...

Nextbase 380GW + 16GB SD card, £375, Lexus Bolton 

May I make a suggestion, Kris.

A 16GB SD card is actually quite small.  What I have done is buy the biggest SD card that my BlackVue will accept (128GB) and keep the 16GB ready as a spare.

When we were hit by an HGV, I was able to swap them round to ensure that the video files were preserved intact.  When I format the card - which should be generally done on a monthly basis and which I do in my PC - I use it to ensure that the dashcam is always ready to go.

All the best with the new Lexus.

31 minutes ago, LenT said:

May I make a suggestion, Kris.

A 16GB SD card is actually quite small.  What I have done is buy the biggest SD card that my BlackVue will accept (128GB) and keep the 16GB ready as a spare.

When we were hit by an HGV, I was able to swap them round to ensure that the video files were preserved intact.  When I format the card - which should be generally done on a monthly basis and which I do in my PC - I use it to ensure that the dashcam is always ready to go.

All the best with the new Lexus.

I'm totally on the same page with you. I will swap it with the 64GB, it's just the standard they are providing so that's why I simply stated what's in the offer. I asked the dealer about larger capacity card but it was not worth it. 16GB will be included.

Thanks for the suggestion, it will definitely help the other people as well.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links