Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

The start of a long, slippery slope?

Herbie

I think you have a point Malc. Cars are turning into fridges. I ordered a wine fridge that was delivered with a broken door last week. when i complained the reply was you can throw it away and dont have to pay. Maybe its my age but this is so against anything i believe. In rural France you will seee 40 yr old renaults citroens happily driving along. When it breaks down they repair and continue. We still think that at 100k km a car is gone buy a new one! The prime example of this is top of the range S class/ A8/ 7 Series bought new for huge sums. Companycars that after 3 to 5 years just disappear to  where? Nobody wants them, ludicrous. With Electric cars this could go this way as development is hyperfast now. Every new car is better than the previous model. Who wants an 8 yr old Ev in 2030 that has a 250 mile range when the range could be double then? 

All in all not good, you are right in happily driving along in your huge 8 cylinder gas guzzler as long as you are allowed. I do think this is good for the environment as strange as it may sound!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dutchie01 said:

The prime example of this is top of the range S class/ A8/ 7 Series bought new for huge sums. Companycars that after 3 to 5 years just disappear to  where? Nobody wants them, ludicrous.

Because the maintenance costs (at least in Europe) for a relatively minor issue are just way over the top. I do agree that in many ways the most environmental solution would be to maintain the existing fleet of vehicles rather than the head long dash to BEVs, but that is not what the car manufacturers and politicians want so it won't happen.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Spock66 said:

but that is not what the car manufacturers and politicians want so it won't happen.

and there's zero politicians to vote for that will be seeing it any differently either 

HOWEVER .  politicians are quite mindful to just go bash the planet and each country with war mongering noxious and def climate changing lumps of metal and gases and whatever else, in the name of humanity and peace giving, they possibly can ...........  be it Putin bombing the sh-t out of everyone everywhere AND everyone else doing the same back to him .....

AND in the next breath, these same politicians praising the climate changing benefits of EVs over a delightful ( sic )  V8 petrol limo 

World's gone barmy for sure

Malc

Bernard. Re the the wine fridge you ordered. The probability is that it cost way less than you think to manufacture. An example is oak furniture land. I had the unfortunate opportunity to deliver for them some years ago. Their rules were never unpack the goods. I broke that rule on every delivery I did and just as well. 20% of the time the goods were damaged. What did they do with the damaged furniture? Burn it. Yes when it was taken back they sent it off to incinerators. Item to buy £500. Item to make and distribute £50. This statement is true and fact. When I found this out I left. Cheap (expletive) sold for 10X + the costs to suckered up customers. 

That's why you was told to throw it away coz it cost peanuts to build and ship. You was unfortunately suckered in by an advert and false reviews on that product. 

19 hours ago, Mr Vlad said:

That's why you was told to throw it away coz it cost peanuts to build and ship. You was unfortunately suckered in by an advert and false reviews on that product. 

The price of a product has very little to do with the cost to manufacture unless it is highly commoditised. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/13/2022 at 6:21 PM, ColinBarber said:

Yes it would be terrible if true, but it isn't.

Upgrades stay with the car, and you see some owners upset by this and wishing it moved with them to their new Tesla.

Well, it is unfortunately true sometimes - "Tesla Cuts Car's Range By 30%, Demands $4,500 to Get It Back":

https://futurism.com/tesla-range-reduce-remote

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

On 7/28/2022 at 9:51 AM, route66 said:

Well, it is unfortunately true sometimes - "Tesla Cuts Car's Range By 30%, Demands $4,500 to Get It Back":

Not really, that is just a case of computer says no rather than a policy. No one really knows the full detail on this specific case, did they really get a free upgrade or where they just lucky and then the old owner misrepresented the facts when sold?

All seems very petty though on Tesla's part. 

On 7/28/2022 at 9:51 AM, route66 said:

How true is this? in today's sad world of fake news, the first question to ask is how reliable is this report or is it another conspiracy theory from, perhaps, a disgruntled individual? I'm not saying it is not true but I hope that I am a healthy sceptic.

As someone who hates the subscription model, I hereby give notice to all manufacturers that I will not buy any car from them that is not complete and fully transferable to a new owner in the form I purchased it in.

Having said that, I'm not sure that I will ever be buying a new car outright in the future. My vision is that by the time my Lexus needs replacing, if I need to get from A to B, I will just call up a self-driving box that will appear at my front door and take me to where I want to go. I expect that I will have to pay a monthly retainer ( a subscription) but I think I could live with that as it wouldn't be 'my' vehicle.

What I'll probably do though is keep my beloved Lexus because its mine, all mine, and I need something to polish, cherish and feel nostalgic about in my dying years.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It’s the start of a costly exercise, but that is the way it is heading 

what we need is nobody to sign up for any of it and that would kill it.

But it won’t happen, look at sky pay per view 

I have sky sports and watched  all sporting events (they were free on BBC or ITV before we started pay for SKY) then they started charging for the bigger events with pay per view.

I use sage accounts and payroll at work you could buy the program and use it for years before you had to buy a new version, but now you have to be online and pay monthly so it now cost me more than the price of buying a single program each year. And I only bought a new program every 5 years so it is about a 600-700 % price increase.

• 1 month later...

Can I just add that this is not new, many many years ago I owned a 1972 Audi 80 my first car. I needed a distributor so visited a scrapy and found a VW Passat with the same engine so obtained the distributor but notice that in the fuse box was a relay for wash/wipe something my Audi didn't have so a couple of quid later for both items opened the fuse box on the Audi and there was a empty slot for said relay. Relay fitted and then my Audi had wash/wipe function. Basically a common wiring loom just leave off the relay or in modern cars the software and then the function is not available.

• Like 3

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links