Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

44mpg on a 3.5L RX?

It is actually the official figure but it's obviously unobtainable in reality. I honestly don't know how manufacturers get away with it.

• Like 2

Just came back from a trip to Brittany. Filled up with Esso Supreme E5 before leaving London and got a reading of 40mpg since last fill up when I arrived, with a bit left in the tank. Roads were empty as it was the middle of the night, and cruised at around 60-70 mph most of the way.

Filled up with E10 for the journey home and was travelling faster (80+ mostly) on busier roads, and got around 27 mpg and had to top up part way.

Usually see 30-35 with mixed driving at home, using premium petrol.

I got this earlier in the year:

image.thumb.jpeg.ebca875195f18e49ae5e495b0b3060d8.jpeg

The trip meter had been zeroed when I last filled-up. I think at least half the driving was done following a Morrisons lorry who was cruising on gentle A-roads at around 40mph. I think it was showing 44mpg after that journey, it dropped to 40 once I'd done my normal commute the next day.

I'm also at around 36-37 currently on my 2014 model, with AC on most of the time.

• Like 1

But Norfolk lacks the many and steep hills of Devon and I get about 3mpg less where I am rather than when I visit places that are flatter.  So this is another of a number of factors that can affect MPG.  Just for the record I have saved the very fluke best figure of 99.9mpg on my car.  I don't know how I got that but it must have been down to refilling and resetting.  In reality the best I have achieved is about 38 on a moderate speed run with a normal short journey showing about 27.  Overall, I think about 30 - 31.  

46 minutes ago, Barry14UK said:

Nut Norfolk lacks the many and steep hills of Devon and I get about 3mpg less where I am rather than when I visit places that are flatter.  So this is another of a number of factors that can affect MPG.  Just for the record I have saved the very fluke best figure of 99.9mpg on my car.

With many steep hills (nothing here but up and down - mountains) on the island a little CT with 1.8 engine can get 47 when driven slowly. AC on always, temperature is summer here all year.

6.152L/100km. Compared with 5.1L/100km in a 2.0tdi DSG Golf 2005 here the weight of the hybrid Battery is a negative. Engine on constant when going up and after a few minutes the hybrid Battery is full while going down; when the hybrid Battery is full all the energy coming from going down is wasted. Could fill the car in a city high up and get close to 0L/100km as we live just opposite the marina, but that would be cheating.

The good thing is that our 2017 model was registered end of 2016 (however that is possible) so no road tax, that pay for the extra fuel; VAT we do not pay; we have I.G.I.C. on 7% instead. I read that you are getting high temperatures in UK even though you have sea all around you. Good our cars have AC.

PS.: Forgot to mention that Lexus told in 2016 that the CT would need 3.8L to drive 100km.

They cheat as they all do.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WipeOut said:

On my last tank, I got 39mpg without trying too hard.

OP was making reference to previous generation whereas your 2019 is the slightly more economical 4 Generation.

Just returned from a short trip to the Lake district in our Gen4 RX450h f Sport.

Averaged 42.3MPG over nearly 600 miles with a mixture of motorways, A roads, minor roads and of course a lot of ups and downs.

image.thumb.jpeg.d9c6c83891855ea6563f1ce16be6408b.jpeg

IMG_5104.JPG

20 minutes ago, JBPRX400h said:

Averaged 42.3MPG over nearly 600 miles with a mixture of motorways, A roads, minor roads and of course a lot of ups and downs.

That's pretty impressive, did you tackle Hardknott Pass?

There seems to be a lot of variation (in the UK).  I am still negotiating my RX but I see people quote from mid to high 20s in to the 40s MPG.  If I can get in to the 30s with mixed driving and also for motorway runs, I will be happy.

• Like 1

To have an average idea I suggest giving a look to spritmonitor site (or other ones monitoring  fuel consumption). Driving style strongly modifies mpg.

On 7/23/2022 at 10:01 AM, Sybaris said:

There seems to be a lot of variation (in the UK).  I am still negotiating my RX but I see people quote from mid to high 20s in to the 40s MPG.  If I can get in to the 30s with mixed driving and also for motorway runs, I will be happy.

If you're not heavy footed you should manage 30's in mixed driving.

On motorways, at or around the speed limit, I tend to get 30-35. However I've recently tried an experiment on motorway runs of driving at around 60-65.  I've found that the journey takes no longer and I get around 40 mpg. The main difference seems to be that I rarely have to touch the brakes, even on a fairly long trip, meaning no having to keep accelerating to get back up to speed.

• Like 1

Usually when I am on fast A roads or Motorways.  The suspension and steering stiffens up which I prefer and the accelerator is quicker to respond.  I don't find it worsens MPG as doing 70 in normal or S+ is still doing 70, just means when you slow down and speed up the car is a bit livelier and reacts faster.   Official figures only gives it 28 MPG on motorways and I get in to the 30s. 

Usually I drive in crowded roads and  sport mode is too much reactive in reacceleration after a slowdown, I prefer ECO in such a situation.

Yep, I agree, sports mode is too reactive in cities and "day to day" driving.  I can't even remember when I used eco mode as that makes no difference to me.

On 7/23/2022 at 10:01 AM, Sybaris said:

If you take care and still get mid-25mpg or less, most probably, your hybrid Battery has degraded. With a fresh Battery you may expect something >= 30mpg with light-footed driving.

• Like 1

There are so many variables that it can be difficult to get all the factors the same even using the same route.  I returned on Saturday last from a short holiday starting from North Devon to places in North Wales, returning by largely the same route.  I drove in a slightly more relaxed manner and indeed 60 and sometimes 40 speed motorway  restrictions and some stop go determined this to some extent.  I kept a regular check on the fuel being used and at one point got up to 44.4mpg for a fairly short time.  This reduced to 38.9 by the time my wife and I reached Llandudno were we were based but still slightly better than my previous best ever of 37. We did stay overnight at a couple of places en route.  Most of this outward journey was done using High Octane Esso fuel and it seemed to make the car a little more lively.

On the return journey I could only find a place doing  E10.  (I don't pay Motor Service Station fuel prices).  But the journey was much the same as before exacerbated by many caravans, holiday trippers, Commonwealth Games traffic and with the usual lorries etc., being particularly heavy around  the Birmingham area. By the time I arrived home the consumption readout had dropped to 35.6

I am not sure whether the difference was due to the preponderance of better fuel on the outward journey or other factors but it does show how consumption figurers can differ.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links